• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Rider 1 9.8 oww surfaces… ideal timing?

56 posts in this topic

• Is this the only copy… or the 2nd? I thought the original 9.8 was graded over 2 years ago. If so, what label would it have? I don't recall when the switchover was exactly? confused-smiley-013.gif

• Predictions?… I'm thinking $3500-$4500

• Is this the best time to sell? If this is the original and assuming it was graded around 2 years ago (unconfirmed)… would it have sold higher then or now, even with the movie approaching?

Is this the only copy or the 2nd? I thought the original 9.8 was graded over 2 years ago. If so, what label what it have? I don't recall when the switchover was exactly?

Predictions? I'm thinking $3500-$4500

Is this the best time to sell? If this is the original and assuming it was graded around 2 years ago (unconfirmed) would it have sold higher then or now, even with the movie approaching?

1. This would be the only copy unless a CGC 9.8 was graded in the last month and it is not on the CGC census yet. Label would be a new label not an old one if graded 2 years ago.

2. $5000 to $6000 since it is the highest and only graded copy at CGC 9.8

3. It would sell higher now. (Movie!) Ghost Rider was a dead character 2 years ago.

Per Valiantman's site, the first 9.8 showed up on the census between July 2003 and July 2004. However, like I mentioned earlier, the serial number doesn't show up as being valid for the eBay copy. Knowing the seller, I doubt he kept it that long. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the link --> Linkie poo

You may be right on the end price because it is the only one… and all bets are off.

However, I would disagree that Ghost Rider was a dead character 2 years ago. Actually, even a little before that a rather unexpected and steady climb in value began on MS5. 9.4 Marvel Spotlight 5's were selling for $500-$700 around 3-4 years ago and then all of a sudden (around Sept. of 2003) the spike and climb began. Now, and for the past year, they've been averaging close to $1800. There have been $2000+ sales as well. I know this is movie is a large influenced on current values, but the spike started over 3 years ago.

• $5000 to $6000 since it is the highest and only graded copy at CGC 9.8

• It would sell higher now. (Movie!) Ghost Rider was a dead character 2 years ago.

Good work… its been around awhile.

Per Valiantman's site, the first 9.8 showed up on the census between July 2003 and July 2004. However, like I mentioned earlier, the serial number doesn't show up as being valid for the eBay copy. Knowing the seller, I doubt he kept it that long. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the link --> Linkie poo

You may be right on the end price because it is the only one… and all bets are off.

However, I would disagree that Ghost Rider was a dead character 2 years ago. Actually, even a little before that a rather unexpected and steady climb in value began on MS5. 9.4 Marvel Spotlight 5's were selling for $500-$700 around 3-4 years ago and then all of a sudden (around Sept. of 2003) the spike and climb began. Now, and for the past year, they've been averaging close to $1800. There have been $2000+ sales as well. I know this is movie is a large influenced on current values, but the spike started over 3 years ago.

Bru, what is your opinion on the fact that Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 9.6 has more than doubled in the past 4 years, but Ghost Rider #1 CGC 9.6 (other than a low-ball sale in mid 2002) has pretty much dipped a little in average price.

Purely on the CGC census numbers?

CGC Census on MS #5 CGC 9.6, total 15 universal

CGC Census on GR #1 CGC 9.6, total 28 universal

Or something else?

Hey Mate! long time

Its probably a combination.

MS5 is the clearly the real key (being the 1st appearance) and supply is only at half of GR1 as you pointed out.

MS5 has not reached the saturation point to sate high grade collectors yet.

Also, the arrival of the 9.8 affected GR 1's value the same way the lack of one enhanced MS5's

It would be interesting to see how 9.6 values would be different if the 9.8 situation was reversed? Maybe a $200-300 swing.

Too bas we'll never know… unless of course the GR1 9.8 gets put in a fire-proof safe without being opened for a long while with old silica and a MS 5 9.6 get upgraded.

It's not just how the book *looks*. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Trust me, load the image into Photoshop, enlarge it, then test the dimensions and see what you come up with. Could be a very weird mis-cut, but it certainly looks suspicious.

Trust me, load the image into Photoshop, enlarge it, then test the dimensions and see what you come up with. Could be a very weird mis-cut, but it certainly looks suspicious.

Glad you said something JC because when I first viewed the image it looked a little "off" to me as well. It seems the right top and the right bottom are a little shorter then the rest of the book. At the very least it's horribly off centered.

But not being a professional grader I'll decline from opening my mouth and inserting foot. insane.gif

Noticed this too. I wonder if anyone has any info as to where this book originated from? Who got it graded/etc?