• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Rider 1 9.8 oww surfaces… ideal timing?

56 posts in this topic

Buyers at this level are very sophisticated. With a xxx,xxx print run and only two 9.8s who cares...........He who has the most toys wins. This is an incredible toy to own. Unreal that any 9.8s even exist.......Welcome to the boards.

I dunno...Silver Surfer had a good point. With that kind of money to throw around, I can think of some better books to target than this one.

Well, maybe the buyer just isn't interested in those "better" books. To each his own, even if I don't think that the price paid was prudent. I know that I've spent money on SA books which have caused GA collectors to scratch their heads and say I could've gotten some great GA books for the same amount, but I had zero interest in GA books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Buyers at this level are very sophisticated. With a xxx,xxx print run and only two 9.8s who cares...........He who has the most toys wins. This is an incredible toy to own. Unreal that any 9.8s even exist.......Welcome to the boards.

I dunno...Silver Surfer had a good point. With that kind of money to throw around, I can think of some better books to target than this one.

Well, maybe the buyer just isn't interested in those "better" books. To each his own, even if I don't think that the price paid was prudent. I know that I've spent money on SA books which have caused GA collectors to scratch their heads and say I could've gotten some great GA books for the same amount, but I had zero interest in GA books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Agreed, for a comic book collector paying 11 grand like the link below might be screwy.gif but to a card collector its a different case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Sure, if Ghost Rider or Bronze Age books are his favorites, I can understand that. I'm just saying if it's someone with a lot of money to throw around, and is just interested in having the best "toys", like jduran mentioned, then I think he could've found better "toys".

$6,000 for a 1973 book and a marginal character/series is just insane. Think of the GA or SA wonders you could buy with that kind of coin.

i hear what your saying. but sometimes it's more then that. if you grew up in the early 70's collecting comics. and you remeber buying those books off the spinner rack at the local 7-11. then it may be worth more to you then some golden age book that you have no connection with.

Well I grew up in the late 70's and own about 100 BA CGC 9.8's and love those books I first grew up but I haven't even spent that kind of money on a GA book. Too each his own, if the guy is a millionaire then I guess its no big deal but the price is a bit outrageous. Can't think of too many books from the mid 70's that I would want to pay over a $1,000 for let alone $6,000. Bad investment but if its for the reasons you menitoned then good for him.

Its not a big deal. Many books from the 70's have sold and sell for big bucks. And from the bids the buyer wasnt alone in wanting the book. If he bought it for investment then dont be surprised if it is sold again in the near future. If they bought it to keep then good on em. No point in saying its smart or dumb. I personally would rather have a unique high grade comic from my "time" then an older book (pre-61) that holds no interest for me. If I did that it would just be to resell. What another collector likes is a personal choice and I dont Judge them on that. Its all part of the same hobby and people collect in every way imaginable. Dont be surprised if this book sells for much more$$ because it will.

Agreed, not passing judgement on the buyer just making small talk.

I think most posters are concerned about the price jump from a CGC 9.6 and a CGC 9.8.

Everything has a perceived price. Otherwise auction houses would constantly be clueless when selling merchandise. The problem is that what this group of collectors perceived to be a good estimate on the book came up about 50% short. So we're all in 893whatthe.gif Whether this is a good or bad deal for the buyer is irrelevant to this conversation.

So let me re-iterate...

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Agreed, not passing judgement on the buyer just making small talk.

I think most posters are concerned about the price jump from a CGC 9.6 and a CGC 9.8.

Everything has a perceived price. Otherwise auction houses would constantly be clueless when selling merchandise. The problem is that what this group of collectors perceived to be a good estimate on the book came up about 50% short. So we're all in 893whatthe.gif Whether this is a good or bad deal for the buyer is irrelevant to this conversation.

So let me re-iterate...

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Well this is not the first time that the holiday season has brought out a big money price that is far more than anyone thought it would sell for....

Tickle Me? $5k please

112601a3.jpg

People spend money in the strangest ways this time of year (or if they think a movie is gonna make them a millionaire).

Not sure why people are so surprised with the price of this book. Is it a bad investment? Who knows, but it's an irrelevent question as it may not be an "investment" to this buyer. You want a bad "investment"? There are people paying $5K+ for PS3s that will be available for $700 in a couple of months, guaranteed. THAT is a bad "investment". There's no way to know what this book will be worth in the next year or 5 or 10. You absolutely know you're throwing away $5K when you buy a PS3. Obviously, money isn't necessarily a determining factor in these equations, so why always this tired old argument of "bad investment"?

If the Ghost Rider movie is a success and spawns a bunch of sequels, the buyer will be laughing at us for thinking $5K was a bad investment. Do I think this will happen? No. Could it? Yes!

I'd hate to banking my investment on Nicholas Cage. grin.gif