• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupid Friday OT Poll

87 posts in this topic

The question itself is wayyyy too broad! Greatest rock guitarist? Jazz? Blues? Bluegrass? Greatest techician? Most influential? Most revolutionary?

Anyway, I'll stick with what I know--old-school Rock-and-Roll!!--and go with Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix. Chuck pioneered the vocabulary of rock guitar, which Hendrix then expanded and revolutionized. There's not a single person making a living as a rock guitarist today that doesn't owe something (everything?) to both of them.

Not that anyone cares, but here are my personal faves: Keef!, Pete Townshend, Angus Young, Johnny Ramone, James Williamson, Sonic Smith & Wayne Kramer, Paul Kossoff, Mick Ronson, Steve Hunter & Wagner, the Nuge, Leslie West, Nicke Andersson, Rontrose Heathman, Blind Marky Felchtone...and a cast of thousands, all of whom play A LOT better than I do!

James Williamson!!! He'd be up in my top 5. A total monster, and he gave it up years and years ago to be a computer geek.

James Williamson!!! He'd be up in my top 5. A total monster, and he gave it up years and years ago to be a computer geek.

Oh yeah! Bummer that the Stooges imploded just when it was getting REALLY good. "Kill City" was also first-rate...

The question itself is wayyyy too broad! Greatest rock guitarist? Jazz? Blues? Bluegrass? Greatest techician? Most influential? Most revolutionary?

Anyway, I'll stick with what I know--old-school Rock-and-Roll!!--and go with Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix. Chuck pioneered the vocabulary of rock guitar, which Hendrix then expanded and revolutionized. There's not a single person making a living as a rock guitarist today that doesn't owe something (everything?) to both of them.

Not that anyone cares, but here are my personal faves: Keef!, Pete Townshend, James Williamson, Sonic Smith & Wayne Kramer, Mick Ronson....

Some great picks there.

One guitarist I forgot to mention - Ry Cooder. Still play the Performance soundtrack primarily 'cause of his work.

Best Guitarist: Paige!

Best Vocalist: Plant!

Best Drummer: Bonham!

Best Bassist: Jones!

Best Band: Zepplin!

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Absolutely!!!! thumbsup2.gif

One of the weirdest things ever, back in the 80's I got teased a lot

for continually listening to Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and Zep 4.

They told me that Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Poison were the only thing

worth listening to.

I was a loner listening to my old tapes...

little did they know once they got to college and lost the bubble gum glam rock days

of high school they would find out I was right all along.

I even like some of their obsure classics like Custard Pie.

cloud9.gif

worth listening to.

little did they know once they got to college and lost the bubble gum glam rock days

cloud9.gif

I still like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and Poison, among others.

In fact, I know it's probably heresy for me to say, but I prefer most of the 80s rock over Led Zep. That's not to say, I don't like LP, but the 80s had more Oomph to it for me.

Man, it seems like every year or so I get sucked into a Zep phase. For about a month, all I listened to was Zep over and over and over again! Then I got burned out and can't listen to them for awhile... but all this talk makes me want to fire up some Physical Graffiti 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-Bob headbang.gif

worth listening to.

cloud9.gif

I still like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and Poison, among others.

In fact, I know it's probably heresy for me to say, but I prefer most of the 80s rock over Led Zep. That's not to say, I don't like LP, but the 80s had more Oomph to it for me.

I hear you.

I like these bands as well. But I would never put someone down for jamming

to the key roots of rock-n-roll.

Heavy Metal has a great place in my heart because that is what I grew up with

crue, sabbath, ozzy, megadeath, maiden all rock like a MF!

But I always put the roots first.

I even go as far back as Johnny Cash, Elvis and Jerry Lee!

hail.gif

Best Guitarist: Paige!

Best Vocalist: Plant!

Best Drummer: Bonham!

Best Bassist: Jones!

Best Band: Zepplin!

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Absolutely!!!! thumbsup2.gif

worth listening to.

cloud9.gif

The 80s were dark days for Rock 'n' Roll in Britain - it just wasn't fashionable (including the hair metal acts!).... I bought most of their albums in the mid to late 70s on vinyl. In the ensuing years Punk, post-punk and then indie, baggy, house Britpop etc. lessened my interest in classic rock, until I bought the DVD in 2003.

Twas then that I realized that they were the best band ever, especially live (although The Who were close in that department, of course).

And Custard Pie is a great tune....

The 80s were dark days for Rock 'n' Roll in Britain...

Trust me, man, it wasn't much better over here. Two words: Phil Collins.

Urgh. The Gallagher brothers referred to him as the "AntiChrist". They weren't far off the mark...

I must admit I did like some of his earlier stuff with Genesis though.

sorry.gif

The 80s were dark days for Rock 'n' Roll in Britain...

Trust me, man, it wasn't much better over here. Two words: Phil Collins.

Urgh. The Gallagher brothers referred to him as the "AntiChrist". They weren't far off the mark...

I must admit I did like some of his earlier stuff with Genesis though.

sorry.gif

It's cool. Not all Prog rock was bad....

It would be sacreligous to be a resident of Austin, TX and not say Stevie Ray Vaughn....heck...he has a statue at Town Lake downtown and got his start at Antones. Love SRV. I still catch his brother Jimmy around town when I can but his playing is more minimalistic, but still tight. He still lives here in town as does Charlie Sexton, who was supposed to be the second coming back in the mid/late 80's. Charlie and his brother Will are both great guitarists but have a more regional than national following. If I had to pick my current favorite, it would be Jack White. The guy can flat shred and his blues/rock hybrid playing is amazing to me. The White Stripes RAWK!

Scott

link to the SRV statue

http://austin.about.com/cs/tours/l/blvt_tl_vaughan.htm

My favorite guitarist is Duane Allman.Had he not died so young he would be recognized as one of the Greats.His slide guitar on LAYLA,which is often attributed to Clapton,is one of Rocks all-time moments.

The guiding force of the early Allman brothers,The D in Derek and The Dominos,Duane was taken from us way to early.