• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rome Is Burning

28 posts in this topic

Wonder if any of you caught the latest Rome Is Burning show on ESPN? Saw my first show last night and let me tell you....Jim Rome has a serious hard-on against comic book buffs. Three different times on the show he degraded comicbook collectors:

Referred to MacFarlane as a comic book "geek" and marveled at how someone who made comics could ever afford the baseballs he has bought.

Went out of his way to celebrate the anniversary of the Batman film during a psuedo editorial. Stated that it was the catalyst for all the "mind numbing" trash that followed to include SM, X-Men and Hulk. For those that go and care about these films: "anyone of these comic book misfits over 10 years old that care about these films needs to see a shrink and get a grasp on reality" (I'm paraphrasing here but it's essentially what he said). All the while showing a rather unflatterring picture of someone buying comics.

Made a reference to Mike Tyson's juvenile behavior and comic books.

Boy.....all in an hour. Makes me wonder how he can pull off all those comic book references though...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Yeah, that guy is a serious d![!@#%^&^]. He pi$$ed me off a few months back referring to Ultimate Fighting as barbaric, blah, blah, blah. He's one of those sports snobs that's only down with "accepted" sports and those are so important in his pathetic life that he makes fun of everything else.

Rome's got no room to talk with all his 'clones' and 'tour stops' errrrrrr... CONVENTIONS for his freakshow followers. I heard Romey just MELT on McFarlane for an entire 15 minute segment last week & I had a good laugh - I generally like Rome, but he can be a serious arse when he wants to.

That's my 'take.' Out. rantpost.gif

He's a joke. Never says anything valid, tries to be controversial and funny. Lost all credibility when Jim Everett punked him like the beeyotch he is years ago.

Chris

Yeah, Rome kept calling him "Chris Everett", and Jim jumped acorss the table and made like he was gonna smack him around. Rome almost pissed himself....

Chris

Rome's got no room to talk with all his 'clones' and 'tour stops' errrrrrr... CONVENTIONS for his freakshow followers. I heard Romey just MELT on McFarlane for an entire 15 minute segment last week & I had a good laugh - I generally like Rome, but he can be a serious arse when he wants to.

That's my 'take.' Out. rantpost.gif

Rack 'em!

Up next, figure skating bad boy Brian Boitano and we are chasing another that I am not ready to talk about yet... but if that falls through, we'll just pray that Jay Mohr calls in.

Yup... Jim Rome is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person... after a hiatus away from tv with any real exposure (see chris's reference to the imfamous incident) jim's finally back on the radar... and he's probably mentioning the whole anit-comic book thing to be, well, anti a growing popularity of super heroes trend... who knows, maybe he really does hate comics... but does anyway care what this bozo has to say? I sure don't... he's wildly inaccurate on sports, so I should care about his social commentary because...?

Yup... Jim Rome is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person... after a hiatus away from tv with any real exposure (see chris's reference to the imfamous incident) jim's finally back on the radar... and he's probably mentioning the whole anit-comic book thing to be, well, anti a growing popularity of super heroes trend... who knows, maybe he really does hate comics... but does anyway care what this bozo has to say? I sure don't... he's wildly inaccurate on sports, so I should care about his social commentary because...?

I think his perspective and analysis on sports is good, very good.

He is a good interviewer and has an entertaining show.

That said....he is rather full of himself and does say things that are intended to be controversial(shock-sports).

Jim Rome also hates bowling, billiards, and soccer.

I think everyone jumping on him might be giving emotional responses because he "dissed" them. I would venture to guess those that do not like him are either not very big sports fans, or have not listened very much to the show.

well... i don't like rome, love and follow sports avidly, and have watched his show since before his recent run on espn.

and no, I don't think his analysis on sports is anything special, but he does do a good interview.

I'm a huge sports fan, but Rome drives me beserk. That said, I still listen to him occassionally, b/c it is a Sports program. He comes off as a huge blow-hard, and the retards ("clones") that call his show are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. I'd much rather listen (here in the DC area) to Kornheiser or John Thompson (rome is sandwhiched betwen the two, and luckily we are only exposed to Rome for 2 hours instead of 3).

Chris

The Philly sports talk radio is quite honestly some of the worst in the country (WIP)... it's so lopsided it's rediculous and they ONLY talk Philly sports. Still pick up and listen to Mike and the Maddog from New York... PTI is pretty entertaining show on ESPn.

I think his perspective and analysis on sports is good, very good.

He is a good interviewer and has an entertaining show.

That said....he is rather full of himself and does say things that are intended to be controversial(shock-sports).

Jim Rome also hates bowling, billiards, and soccer.

I think everyone jumping on him might be giving emotional responses because he "dissed" them. I would venture to guess those that do not like him are either not very big sports fans, or have not listened very much to the show.

When does he get to the sports talk? Just curious. I mean, usually when I listen, he's got one of his fan-fave buddies on there about who looks "cute" in the shower (last week), or he's just repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again. Try paying attention. I thought he was really entertaining before I actually LISTENED to what he was saying. He'll take some little news nugget, supply "his" take on it, then repeat the exact same thing for the next ten minutes. It's impossibly boring. Even more comical is that he doesn't allow the callers to "self-gloss"-- yet that's virtually ALL he does. I mean, it's his show, but he's always preaching about integrity and blah blah blah. The only reason to listen to the show is to hear the callers and most of them are complete retards anyway... it's like some sad, incestuous little clique that has nothing better to do than bag on each other. It's not even about the sports anymore.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Regardless, if Rome ever actually talks about something specifically sports-related (outside of his usual commentary about whoever happens to be the absolute worst player/team of all time), I would consider listening again.

He'll take some little news nugget, supply "his" take on it, then repeat the exact same thing for the next ten minutes. It's impossibly boring.

Yes, this would be my biggest criticism of his show as well. The man just LOVES to hear himself spew the same [!@#%^&^] over and over.

He certainly has become more mainstream though since he hit the national scene. I remember listening to him in the mid 90s on AM 690 in San Diego, and he was just gawd awful to try and comprehend. He and his "clones" would banter in a lingo and vocabulary all their own, and while there may have been some insightful sports talk going on, it was lost in the translation to English.

If you want insightful, plain-spoken, sports-talk nowadays, with a healthy dose of humor mixed in, PTI is the way to go.

i saw that too and let me say this, it didn't hit the funny bone, i was rather a bit annoyed. the best thing i can say that we could do, is not to watch his weekly show and he'll lose ratings...then his show in ESPN. 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifgoodevil.gif

Up next, figure skating bad boy Brian Boitano and we are chasing another that I am not ready to talk about yet... but if that falls through, we'll just pray that Jay Mohr calls in.

Jeez, Khaos, are you psychic?

I caught the end segment today & to paraphrase Jimmy: "For tomorrow's show, we're chasing an unnamed Kansas City Royals pitcher (wow! that'll make me tune in!) and we'd like to thank Jay Mohr for lobbing us a call today..."

And you hit the nail RIGHT on the head about how he repeats his 'take' on something for an uncomfortably long time & then turns around and drills his clonage for doing the same!

Still, I do enjoy the radio show more often than not - haven't seen 'Burning' and have no real desire to watch him.

Best sports talk, IMO: Tony Bruno.

Great posts, guys...