• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel #1 at Heritage -- Nov. isssue. Is Oct. a more desirable 1st printing?

170 posts in this topic

With Superman #1, we have no info regarding separate printings. And in fact, if there were multiple printings, all the printings were exactly the same.

Not quite true.

We do know that on the last page of Superman #1 (next to the inside back cover) there are at least two variations of the ad for Action #14.

One says "On sale June 2nd"

other version says "Now on Sale"

So at the very least, any copy of Superman #1 that has the "now on sale" text in the house ad can not be a first printing.

Yes, we have already had this discussion on the Superman and Batman #1 printings already. In fact, I believe we already know what the individual print runs were for each of the Superman printings. Sounded like pretty definitive information to me.

Does anybody have a link to this previous discussion in the past?

If that is the case, let get some scans of the differences. After that, we need to get a sense of rarity of the different printings. Lastly, a discussion of the differences in value.

S

Steve;

If I remember correctly, you was one of the more significant contributors to the ORIGINAL thread to the Superman multiple printings thread.

The thread that Sean linked us to was one of the subsequent threads and not the original one that initialy discussed the multiple printings.

I don't remember contributing anything to that thread.

S

I am with Stephen here and think West must be very confused.

There is a huge difference between a second printing of a book/comic and a comic that is compilation of material much of which is reprinted from elsewhere.

Of course 8 pages of Marvel #1 are also reprints, but let's not confuse things even more...

And I don't see what difference the value makes as to establishing what is a true 1st printing vs. a second printing.

Heck a Gutenberg Bible is certainly all reprinted material, but for some reason many collectors tend to place a high value on it because of how it was compiled and presented.

(and yes they differentiate values between 1st and 2nd printings)

I suggest it is merely a continuation. Putting November on the cover was a way to continue to sell the book for another month. Correcting cover dates happened all the time, such as Catman #5. The publisher put a November date on the cover that would not have allowed enough rack time to sell the book so November was covered with an all black cat and then the December date was added below the logo.

This used to be my argument (as I believe either arrival dates or pay notations on the pay copy showed there would not have been a lot of time for the book to be on sale), and I thought maybe the date was corrected mid-printing.

But in our first discussion of this some time ago, I think there was credible evidence pointing to two different printings many weeks apart, which would definitely qualify as a 2nd printing.

There is a huge difference between a second printing of a book/comic and a comic that is compilation of material much of which is reprinted from elsewhere.

Of course 8 pages of Marvel #1 are also reprints, but let's not confuse things even more...

And I don't see what difference the value makes as to establishing what is a true 1st printing vs. a second printing.

Heck a Gutengerb Bible is certainly all reprinted material, but for some reason many collectors tend to place a high value on it because of how it was compiled and presented.

I am not confued at all. I think you should read what Bob Overstreet says about Marvel #1. In no way does he state the Nov copy is a second print.

West

Heck a Gutengerb Bible is certainly all reprinted material, but for some reason many collectors tend to place a high value on it because of how it was compiled and presented.

I am not confued at all. I think you should read what Bob Overstreet says about Marvel #1. In no way does he state the Nov copy is a second print.

West

Yes. Out of deference to all the November copy owners, the listing in the guide regarding this matter is rather useless.

I have owned 18 November copies over the years and 2 October copies.

S

West

Yes. Out of deference to all the November copy owners, the listing in the guide regarding this matter is rather useless.

S

I am sure you have. What I am saying is just because a printer stops printing, changes something and then prints more copies that stoppage does not mean every copy after that is a second print. Most comics today have 2 versions, newstand & direct yet both are 1st prints even though there are clear difference. Variants are also different yet still considered 1st prints.

West

Heck a Gutengerb Bible is certainly all reprinted material, but for some reason many collectors tend to place a high value on it because of how it was compiled and presented.(and yes they differentiate values between 1st and 2nd printings)

West

S

I am sure you have. What I am saying is just because a printer stops printing, changes something and then prints more copies that stoppage does not mean every copy after that is a second print. Most comics today have 2 versions, newstand & direct yet both are 1st prints even though there are clear difference. Variants are also different yet still considered 1st prints.

West

In the case of Marvel #1, the existence of different printings have nothing to do with the printer's decision or frame of mind. It has everything to do with Martin Goodman's decision and frame of mind. He ordered 90K copies to be printed and distributed. And was shocked when the book sold out in a manner of days. Having never marketed a comic book before, he soon experienced a crash course in the business of selling comic books.

He soon ordered a print run of 900K copies approx. 10 days later.

S

West

S

West

Steve is applying the definition of 1st print as used in the book collecting world. Given that, his position on the Oct vs Nov seems reasonable.

Seems pretty clear to me that a second printing in the GA should be treated exactly the same as it is in Modern ages. Unless both printings were done on the same day with only a plate change, which is just a part of the printing process. But going back to press days or weeks later to take advantage of more sales opportunities?? THATS a second printing... it is today and it was in 1939 too.

now, as to values? I havent cared about firts or second printing of the Golden Age keys up til now, but, if more info surfaces proving the comparable rarity of the first printings, THOSE would be the ones I would prefer long term... The fact that most collectors do NOT care today has everything to do with the absense of the truth, and the scarcity and demand for these mega key books in ANY shape or printing...

Help me understand the reality in my parlance.

Let's say I see a 5.0 (CGC graded) oct copy of MC 1 and a 5.0 (cgc graded) Nov copy both for sale. I look at the two copies and decide that the defects are equivalent so I decide that my decision as to which book to purchase will be based on relative value. In a perfect world if the October copy sells for $45000

then what should the "reprinted "November copy sell for?

Let's say I see a 5.0 (CGC graded) oct copy of MC 1 and a 5.0 (cgc graded) Nov copy both for sale. I look at the two copies and decide that the defects are equivalent so I decide that my decision as to which book to purchase will be based on relative value. In a perfect world if the October copy sells for $45000

Take a look at the prices for high grade November copies. They have been selling for a bit under guide. That should tell you something.

I look at the current guide price for Marvel #1 and see an overinflated value if I were looking at a November copy. On the other hand, If I were pricing an October copy, I would price the book over guide.

S

Investment wise I would go with the copy which has that rich blue color.Thats going to over ride all this Nov-Oct stuff to me. The book is just gorgious when it has that rich blue yellow contrast and really stands out from the rest. I think most Marvel ones have that greyish cover color to them. Check out what im telling you.Any High Grade copy of Marvel 1 will always have Rich blue and yellow covers.

With the exception of the Larson.Stick with the rich blue over the oct-nov stuff.Youll be glad you did

West

S

West

Steve is applying the definition of 1st print as used in the book collecting world. Given that, his position on the Oct vs Nov seems reasonable.

I'm with Adam & Steve. If I were to shell out the bucks for a Marvel Comics # 1, I'm walking away with the October printing. The difference between the two printings may become significant at a later date in the hobby. For me a November printing would be nice, but I'd still wish it were an October printing. thumbsup2.gif