• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #122

75 posts in this topic

Grading a book from a scan is a crapshoot. Real hard for me anyways to give a grade higher then a NM without physically holding the book. Not saying your book would'nt grade higher, just saying I would not grade it higher on a scan alone.

So says the guy who used to put 9.6s and 9.8s into the grading contests on a regular basis. poke2.gifpoke2.gif

P.S. In case no one has said it lately, thanks again for all those grading contests you used to run. Those were some of the best times I've ever had on the boards -- especially the team competition. cloud9.gif

based on what i thought i was seeing, i gave it a 9.4, as well.

for some reason the FC LRC looks rounded in the scan. it appears as though the interior pages protrude ever so slightly and frame the cover, which doesn't seem as sharp as you describe it. confused.gif maybe it's some shadow or scan issue.......

oh, and i noticed you didn't mention Nik's March Madness contest........ blush.gifgrin.gifpoke2.gif

Grading a book from a scan is a crapshoot. Real hard for me anyways to give a grade higher then a NM without physically holding the book. Not saying your book would'nt grade higher, just saying I would not grade it higher on a scan alone.

So says the guy who used to put 9.6s and 9.8s into the grading contests on a regular basis. poke2.gifpoke2.gif

P.S. In case no one has said it lately, thanks again for all those grading contests you used to run. Those were some of the best times I've ever had on the boards -- especially the team competition. cloud9.gif

based on what i thought i was seeing, i gave it a 9.4, as well.

for some reason the FC LRC looks rounded in the scan. it appears as though the interior pages protrude ever so slightly and frame the cover, which doesn't seem as sharp as you describe it. confused.gif maybe it's some shadow or scan issue.......

oh, and i noticed you didn't mention Nik's March Madness contest........ blush.gifgrin.gifpoke2.gif

The lower right corner of the cover looks blunted in the scan because about 1/16th of an inch from the corner, the artwork for the bridge wires stops and the color shifts from a darker blue to a much lighter blue (almost white). It's creating the impression that the corner is blunted, but it's not.

I don't know what you guys are seeing that would lead you to say 9.4 or 9.2. Care to explain?

Because we are haters? confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously though, I don't give out 9.6s and 9.8s unless the scan is totally clear as far as defects. There is so much going on with that cover in terms of the art, it makes picking up little defects really hard. I just erred on the side of caution, no particular reason for it to "only" get a 9.4, though I will say the corners on the back look too soft for a 9.8.

The corners are sharp. confused.gif I've got several 9.8s with corners just like these. The only thing wrong with the book is slight rubbing at the spine tips.

Yes, the spine corners are what I was talking about.

Giving a 9.6 or a 9.8 from a scan is simply a guess. I can post a dozen books that look two or three grades higher from scans than they do in hand. Be glad you got NMs from people here (who are generally harsh in my opinion). It's a great book, it's super high grade, it's not possible to give a 9.8 from a scan. Just be happy. poke2.gif

GIVE ME MY 9.8 DAMMIT!!!!!!!! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

9.7 tongue.gif

oh and takeit.gif

Easy 9.6 I'd say. Great copy, and even if it is a 9.6 I'd take your 9.8 over that other 9.8 any day. This book has such a bad habit of being terribly off-centre. frown.gif

9.4- maybe it's the scans, blues looked washed out and back cover is dingy. just enough going on w/ corners to keep from 9.6- maybe.

That's just my krappy scanner. The colors are newsstand-fresh and the back cover looks sweet.