• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else GAGA for Davis Crippen "D" Copy books?

105 posts in this topic

My question may have been answered before....but is there a comprehensive list for all books that comprise the Crippen ped.? Or any of the other ped.'s, I want to update my spreadsheet wantlist for all the paratrooper books that may be in a certain ped.

thanks

I am not aware of any list of the Crippen books. I was actually thinking of starting up a list/site devoted to cataloguing Golden Age Pedigree books. The problem is that quite a few people own pedigreed books that have not been CGC'd.

Well, I just won my first pedigree book on ebay for $50, a STORY OF HARRY S. TRUMAN (1948) SOTI / CRIPPEN"D" COPY. Bought it after reading this thread, by the scans in the auction, couldn't really tell the condition of the book. But since I collect SOTI books, and wanted a pedigree, I took a chance on this one. Anyone know about this particular book?

My First Pedigree!!

Good for you!! Glad you decided to give the Crippen book a try. I saw this one on eBay myself. I am not familiar with the book itself, but picking up a Pedigreed book from 1948, which got a mention in SOTI, can't be a bad pick up. It guides at $76 at VF in Overstreet and was purchased on Heritage for $68.10. I would say you did well. It would be interesting to see how the back cover looks.

I was actually thinking of starting up a list/site devoted to cataloguing Golden Age Pedigree books. The problem is that quite a few people own pedigreed books that have not been CGC'd.

West Stephen from CGC and Matt Nelson from Classic's Incorporated are working on a book for this already. It's supposed to be out before we all die 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was actually thinking of starting up a list/site devoted to cataloguing Golden Age Pedigree books. The problem is that quite a few people own pedigreed books that have not been CGC'd.

West Stephen from CGC and Matt Nelson from Classic's Incorporated are working on a book for this already. It's supposed to be out before we all die 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif, and before I die too! It looks like the book is on track to come out Summer of next year. The book will have lists of all known pedigree copies! 893applaud-thumb.gif The MH list alone is currently hovering around 14,000. 893whatthe.gif

West

Yeah, the Archies are out of control and the "crossover" Peps that sold in the Signature auction went for insane money as well... The Laughs are still pretty reasonable (at least in comparison...)

Ok. I'll bite. What's a "crossover" Pep?

Those are the issues where it is transforming from a hero book to a strictly teen humor title. Numbers 41-50 are the cover crossover books (with both the heros and Archie appearing on the cover) and 51-65 are the content crossover books (with both hero and humor stories). It's a designation I made up myself grin.gif

I think the term "crossover" is a fairly accurate description for those Pep issues. It would also include #36 since that issue introduces Archie on the cover for the first time.

I still find it hard to believe that if Archie was growing in popularity so much in 1942, it still took 14 months before he was featured on the cover of Pep.

Incidentally, regarding the Crippen books, did anyone here win Betty and Veronica #1? That one appeared to be a pretty sharp looking copy.

The MH list alone is currently hovering around 14,000. 893whatthe.gif

West

I was under the impression that there were over 30,000 Mile High books. Is this incorrect?

In any event, lets get back to the Crippen collection. Nellie The Nurse #16:

nellie16.jpg

Okay, we are gonna double our thread application here........An oddity that the third issue of this series that grew out of Silver Streak was a one shot publication by Harry Chesler.....and it is the "D" copy to boot!

1519106-captbattle3.jpg

Done by the amazing Gus Ricca, follow this link to the original art......

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

The MH list alone is currently hovering around 14,000. 893whatthe.gif

West

I was under the impression that there were over 30,000 Mile High books. Is this incorrect?

In any event, lets get back to the Crippen collection. Nellie The Nurse #16:

nellie16.jpg

Approx 22,000.

Yeah, the Archies are out of control and the "crossover" Peps that sold in the Signature auction went for insane money as well... The Laughs are still pretty reasonable (at least in comparison...)

Ok. I'll bite. What's a "crossover" Pep?

Those are the issues where it is transforming from a hero book to a strictly teen humor title. Numbers 41-50 are the cover crossover books (with both the heros and Archie appearing on the cover) and 51-65 are the content crossover books (with both hero and humor stories). It's a designation I made up myself grin.gif

Thanks! Now I can impress all the chicks, too! yay.gif

Just got a chapter to review -- looks great.

My question may have been answered before....but is there a comprehensive list for all books that comprise the Crippen ped.? Or any of the other ped.'s, I want to update my spreadsheet wantlist for all the paratrooper books that may be in a certain ped.

thanks

I am not aware of any list of the Crippen books. I was actually thinking of starting up a list/site devoted to cataloguing Golden Age Pedigree books. The problem is that quite a few people own pedigreed books that have not been CGC'd.

One of the guys that posts on the boards (aussieruss?) is creating a database of pedigree scrans. Redhook has helped extensively with it and tth2 provided scans from his collection.

I can't say that I'm "Ga-Ga" over the Crippen books (a few other pedigrees that I've collected -- Mile Highs, Golden Age Big Apples, Gaines File Copies -- are definitely superior), but as I've written in previous threads, I do think this is a terrific pedigree just based on it's breadth and the fact that much of the collection is in the 8.0-9.2 range (albeit, with an occasional foxing or dust shadow issue), and I'm very happy to be participating as a buyer in it's dissemination. I've bought about 30 of them so far... here are a couple...

JoJo.jpg

Planet53.jpg

I noted some Millie fans earlier...

Millie1.jpg

I can't say that I'm "Ga-Ga" over the Crippen books (a few other pedigrees that I've collected -- Mile Highs, Golden Age Big Apples, Gaines File Copies -- are definitely superior), but as I've written in previous threads, I do think this is a terrific pedigree just based on it's breadth and the fact that much of the collection is in the 8.0-9.2 range (albeit, with an occasional foxing or dust shadow issue), and I'm very happy to be participating as a buyer in it's dissemination. I've bought about 30 of them so far... here are a couple...

JoJo.jpg

Planet53.jpg

Millie1.jpg

I don't know, the copies from those other pedigrees seem so much ... bigger. stooges.gif

That must be a Millie 1 893applaud-thumb.gif

JoJo.jpg

Planet53.jpg

Millie1.jpg

I don't know, the copies from those other pedigrees seem so much ... bigger. stooges.gif

That must be a Millie 1 893applaud-thumb.gif

Been a while since I posted scans and it shows! Sorry about that. Need to put my kid to sleep but will try to get bigger scans up a little later.

Third time's a charm!

Thanks for posting the big scans! thumbsup2.gif