• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else GAGA for Davis Crippen "D" Copy books?

105 posts in this topic

I bought several of the Peps and most of the Laughs. I was too cheap to buy the Archies 27_laughing.gif

Also, a bunch of Timely teen humor including runs of My Friend Irma and Patsy Walker (including the #1) and Millie #2 cloud9.gif

What have you bought?

What have you bought?

I own the Crippen copy of Pep #82. My favorite Archie book that I did not win is surely Laugh #26. Did you win that one? I am jealous if you did. I was on a dial up connection when that book was closing and it ended before I could up my bid.

I currently have a number of books from various series in my collection. This includes Georgie Comics, Nellie The Nurse, Manhunt, Jo-Jo Comics, Rulah Jungle Goddess, Junior, Jumbo Comics, Fight Comics, Dagar Desert Hawk, Chamber of Chills, Witches Tales, Jungle Comics, and Wonder Comics.

I have also owned several others, but I have been forced to sell them to make room for some of the Junior books. My most recent sale, and one that I regret (but was unavoidable), is the selling of Crime and Justice #12 CGC 9.2.

The only thing I don't like is that some of the Crippen books I have seen on Heritage have staples that are "unpretty" or the books have dust shadow.

Are you still interested in selling the Pep 82?

Yes, but you should know that Heritage sent it to me with the outer plastic seal broken. I purchased it as a CGC 8.0, but when I received it one of the pins were loose in the holder. The case has not been cracked in any fashion, but on closer inspection you can see that the holder's plastic outer seal has been broken. In fact, CGC likely didn't seal it properly in the first place. Obviously, it still has the CA from Heritage verifying the VF grade, but it would need to be recertified.

Any interest in selling the Laugh #26 you just let me know.

popcorn.gif

Ask me in a week or two when my three Crippen Jumbos arrive from Heritage.

Which ones did you end up getting? My favorite Jumbo is #103. I don't believe I have seen a "D" copy of that particular issue yet. I passed up on the unslabbed Mile High copy of that issue a while back, in hopes of discovering that there is a Crippen copy.

I bought several of the Peps and most of the Laughs. I was too cheap to buy the Archies 27_laughing.gif

Also, a bunch of Timely teen humor including runs of My Friend Irma and Patsy Walker (including the #1) and Millie #2 cloud9.gif

What have you bought?

YOU bought the 2? hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

You should have told me, I would have laid off. Well, probably not. If you ever want to get rid of it...

What have you bought?

Would you mind posting a scan of the Millie # 2? I sure would like to see what it looks like in high grade. Mine's a VG+, but it took 2 years to find it.

What have you bought?

YOU bought the 2? hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

You should have told me, I would have laid off. Well, probably not. If you ever want to get rid of it...

Yeah, I figured it was a book I wasn't likely to see in that condition for quite some time, so...

What am I missing on the Millie #2? Sure she is cute, and it is the highest graded copy, and she is the prototype for the Blone Phantom. Let me stop there, I see why it is sought after, after all.

How is she the prototype for Blonde Phantom? This was not a connection I was aware of.

Millie dresses as the Blonde Phantom in that issue, which predates the Blonde Phantom title.

Pretty nifty! Thanks!

What have you bought?

Would you mind posting a scan of the Millie # 2? I sure would like to see what it looks like in high grade. Mine's a VG+, but it took 2 years to find it.

Sorry the scan isn't the best...

1513083-comics121.jpg

Millie dresses as the Blonde Phantom in that issue, which predates the Blonde Phantom title.

Yep. It's not the same costume as the actual Blonde phantom, but Millie does dress as "The Blonde Phantom". There may have been a reader response and later the Blonde phantom comic.........or it may have been a try out. Who knows.