• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else GAGA for Davis Crippen "D" Copy books?

105 posts in this topic

Yeah, the Archies are out of control and the "crossover" Peps that sold in the Signature auction went for insane money as well... The Laughs are still pretty reasonable (at least in comparison...)

Ok. I'll bite. What's a "crossover" Pep?

Those are the issues where it is transforming from a hero book to a strictly teen humor title. Numbers 41-50 are the cover crossover books (with both the heros and Archie appearing on the cover) and 51-65 are the content crossover books (with both hero and humor stories). It's a designation I made up myself grin.gif

Thanks! Now I can impress all the chicks, too! yay.gif

You know, it's never really impressed my wife, so you might not want to put too much hope into it as a chick attractant crazy.gif

I find the Crippen books very appealing for a reason other than their reputation as having a desirable technical grade or page quality....I find them, probably because they are a newly identified high profile pedigree, to be "cool"! They are very 2006, cutting edge, latest and the greatest right now pedigree. "D" copy sounds cool, and Davis Crippen is a cool name headbang.gif

I was actually thinking of starting up a list/site devoted to cataloguing Golden Age Pedigree books. The problem is that quite a few people own pedigreed books that have not been CGC'd.

West Stephen from CGC and Matt Nelson from Classic's Incorporated are working on a book for this already. It's supposed to be out before we all die 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif, and before I die too! It looks like the book is on track to come out Summer of next year. The book will have lists of all known pedigree copies! 893applaud-thumb.gif The MH list alone is currently hovering around 14,000. 893whatthe.gif

West

West;

Will there be a special edition coming out for this book?

I believe the original ads from a couple of years ago stated that whoever made an advance payment to Matt Nelson for the book would be receiving something extra. Just can't remember exactly what it was after all this time.

Actually, not sure if this offer is valid anymore since the book is no longer a standalone project by Matt. Hope this doesn't mean that everybody who paid in advance have basically lost their deposit and will now have to pay from scratch again.

I'll be honest - for the money they've fetched and the grades received, I'm UNIMPRESSED with the Crippen books. Most of them (the Archie Peps) have sun or dust shadows, dirty staples/spines and some moderate wear. Nice copies for sure, but unimpressive to me as a pedigree. Look at the Pep #62 Crippen. Very overgraded. In fact, I own or have owned much nicer copies of many of these books that aren't pedigrees.

People overpaid for the "D" Copy nomenclature. Period.

I'm with Shield - the enormous size of the D collection seems to have overshadowed its quality (at least when considering the vast majority of the books which only recently just emerged).

D copies remind me a lot of Crowleys, which generally (there are exceptions of course) leave me cold.

STEVE

They did? I find that they don't fetch extra money at all... part of the appeal for me actually. The Crippen collection definitely isn't a Larson or Church quality pedigree, but it's a collection that has made stuff available that you just never see. That's always impressive.

Hmmmm... Maybe it's a "poor" man's pedigree. It's the 914 of comics 27_laughing.gif

d.jpg

I'll be honest - for the money they've fetched and the grades received, I'm UNIMPRESSED with the Crippen books. Most of them (the Archie Peps) have sun or dust shadows, dirty staples/spines and some moderate wear. Nice copies for sure, but unimpressive to me as a pedigree. Look at the Pep #62 Crippen. Very overgraded. In fact, I own or have owned much nicer copies of many of these books that aren't pedigrees.

On a serious note ( even though I do find the name Davis Crippen to be cool ), this collection seems to have been given pedigree status due to quantity, not quality. I can't think of another predigree with so many mid-grade books.

Does anyone here know what the standards are for a collection to be given pedigree status? Most ( aside form this one ) seem to have over 90% of the collection grade at 8.0 or better, with off-white pages as an overall minimum average PQ.

On a serious note ( even though I do find the name Davis Crippen to be cool ), this collection seems to have been given pedigree status due to quantity, not quality. I can't think of another predigree with so many mid-grade books.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Sure there are many mid and low grades but there are lots of high or highest graded copies in this collection. There are even a decent number of 9.4 & 9.6 Timely's from the Crippen collection... and that's a rarity!

West

Does anyone here know what the standards are for a collection to be given pedigree status? Most ( aside form this one ) seem to have over 90% of the collection grade at 8.0 or better, with off-white pages as an overall minimum average PQ.

I've been following the Heritage Sales and there are lots of lower grade books. The 90% number seems very high. And, from the comments from some on the boards, even some of the 8.0s and better don't seem to be of interest to some high grade collectors due to wanting better pages and fresher covers.

Perhaps, but is this really a FINE PLUS?

16112009024o.jpg

Shield,

I know you know your stuff, but I must admit, this looks exactly like a properly grade F+ to me.....overall very nice conidtion with a few tears, and a fairly minimal dust shadow....very 6.5 looking based on my experience of sending hundreds and hundreds of books to CGC over the past 5 years. The only thing that sticks out as potentiallly poor grading to me is the obvious cream pages being deemed off-white....no way based on what I can see from the edge of the book, unless it is just edge toning.

Perhaps, but is this really a FINE PLUS?

16112009024o.jpg

Shield,

I know you know your stuff, but I must admit, this looks exactly like a properly grade F+ to me.....overall very nice conidtion with a few tears, and a fairly minimal dust shadow....very 6.5 looking based on my experience of sending hundreds and hundreds of books to CGC over the past 5 years. The only thing that sticks out as potentiallly poor grading to me is the obvious cream pages being deemed off-white....no way based on what I can see from the edge of the book, unless it is just edge toning.

Sorry, I have to disagree. No way is this book a 6.5. It's another example of Pedigree+GA bump by CGC, and bizzarre, undislosed grading criteria that is willing to overlook tears (AND foxing and chipping) that render most books 2.5 because the overall appeal "otherwise" is better.

If you were to take this book out of the slab and try to sell it here as a 6.5 raw you'd catch a lot of "spoon". You may be correct that CGC will more often than not grade this 6.5, but that doesn't mean it's a 6.5.

Re: the Crippen books, I think they are all over the place. Lots of lower grade with fugly features. But lots of nice HG books with outstanding qualities. I'll buy the latter, ignore the former.

893whatthe.gif Is this really legal? stooges.gif

If you were to take this book out of the slab and try to sell it here as a 6.5 raw you'd catch a lot of "spoon". You may be correct that CGC will more often than not grade this 6.5, but that doesn't mean it's a 6.5.

agreed....my comment that this book is correctly graded as a 6.5 is based on similar experiences I have had with CGC, and comparing it to other CGC 6.5 books I have bought and sold over the years. The marketplace on this particular book raw may not be so generous with its grading.

agreed....my comment that this book is correctly graded as a 6.5 is based on similar experiences I have had with CGC, and comparing it to other CGC 6.5 books I have bought and sold over the years. The marketplace on this particular book raw may not be so generous with its grading.

thumbsup2.gif

I hope they're listening.