• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help grading this Golden Age one-shot

11 posts in this topic

The only thing that really bothers me is the spine split. Most of the damage to this comic is around the edges and corners. I do not have much experience in grading lower grade golden-age, but an educated guess would put this at about a Good to a Good+.

Be very interested in what other people think on this one. Gonna use it as a learning experience.

Unfortunately I think the major spine split pretty much determines the grade on this one. Doesn't that max it out around VG or so as the highest grade that Overstreet says can contain a spine split of that size?

The ink mark is no biggy, and the wear is around the fringes leaving the main part of the cover looking very attractive.

I think you end up with a low-grade at about a 3.5, but with great eye appeal.

Thanks to all of you that helped me out here. I bought this comic as a vg/fn but I knew of all the defects and paid about vg price for it. I got it for my collection of Golden-Age one shot publishers not for resale and I really like the eye appeal of the comic. From all the comments above I would guess that a 3.5 to 4.0 is not an unreasonable grade for this comic. I don't know if I will submit it to CGC but there are only 3 others submitted so 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Again, thanks to you all.

Pretty standard to sub-par Golden-age stories. There are actually 3 stories-the first one is the origin of Atomic Thunderbolt, the second is a comedy short with 2 goofy guys and the third one stars someone named Mr. Murdo. I can definitely see why this was the only issue by Regor. smirk.gif