• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

It is certainly not my intention to imply underhanded or shady dealings. I know Steve pretty well and am convinced of his sincerity and love for the hobby. And even though, as FFB mentioned, they are only recommending pressing there is a tacit recommendation for him as a full service restorer in the way Matt's business is advertised, under the auspices of CGC. Below are the three rotating graphics advertising Matt's business. I think they speak for themselves.

1624764-classics.jpg

Also, if you have not been to Matt's web site it is truly eye-opening, but at least VERY straightforward and up front. Nothing hidden in the least. He speaks straight up about specifically pressing in order to get a nhigher CGC grade and helps you calculate the best candidates based on the amount of financial return. Cannot fault his straightforwardedness at all. And CGC IS a business forst so the increase in submissions this service offers wiull cewrtainly benefity CGC. And the increase in Press only service will certianly benefit Matt.

But there is just something not right happening here. Full disclosure is commendable, and Matt has certioanly done that on his site. But simply full disclosure does not always make things right if what is being disclosed maybe should not be happening in the first place.

::edit:: Ahh - remembered how to post an attachment.

Poor old pov

1624764-classics.jpg.498e43f81f4ee2f14657fceb160c43a6.jpg

if you are pointing us to the statements below the graphics, I see that ALL ads just quote the advertiser and their copy in the ads. Looks like the advertiser chooses the words that will appear below their ads, not CGC

Both the words under the ads and the ads thermself. I have to assume tyhe ads would be OKAYed by CGC before being place on their site, nes pa?

It is certainly not my intention to imply underhanded or shady dealings. I know Steve pretty well and am convinced of his sincerity and love for the hobby. And even though, as FFB mentioned, they are only recommending pressing there is a tacit recommendation for him as a full service restorer in the way Matt's business is advertised, under the auspices of CGC. Below are the three rotating graphics advertising Matt's business. I think they speak for themselves.

Also, if you have not been to Matt's web site it is truly eye-opening, but at least VERY straightforward and up front. Nothing hidden in the least. He speaks straight up about specifically pressing in order to get a nhigher CGC grade and helps you calculate the best candidates based on the amount of financial return. Cannot fault his straightforwardedness at all. And CGC IS a business forst so the increase in submissions this service offers wiull cewrtainly benefity CGC. And the increase in Press only service will certianly benefit Matt.

But there is just something not right happening here. Full disclosure is commendable, and Matt has certioanly done that on his site. But simply full disclosure does not always make things right if what is being disclosed maybe should not be happening in the first place.

Poor old pov

Matt fully discloses that his busibess improves books. But he does not disclose which books he sells have been improved. "disclosure" covers a lot of ground and the most important prerhaops is disclosing which books have had work done, not disclosing that Matt does it and heres what I can do for you. THAT would have been shocking a few years ago when it was a totally hushed up practice.

Now we know he does it. He advertises freely what he does. So just go all the way and tell us which books and what was done please.

Is it me, or do others see the blatant hypocrisy on these boards?

Here's what I find most peculiar...

When members discuss "conspiracy theories", they are quickly and vehemently rebuked by the purveyors of public politeness for engaging in "baseless" speculation. And yet, these very same administers of admonishment play in the same type box when the color of sand suits their own individual liking.

I just find the whole situation rather bizarre.

I know what you mean. It seems like people go ballistic over misleadig practices but are okay with fighting it in a way that's equally misleading but more to their liking. And all along the way little or nothing at all is said about other misleading practices or misleading information.

It baffles me somewhat because things like that usually occur in other fields when values are going down or when it's hard to figure out what;s going up or down. We don't have that in the comics field right now. It's booming.

I trust my own ability to spot things that I like and which I know also have intrinsic value and are likely to increase in value. I don't feel or see the need to mislead people, let alone mislead under the guise of protecting them from other misleading people,

I would like to believe that there are many here who endeavor to remain objective in an effort to form rational conclusions. Nevertheless, I am convinced there are those so entrenched in the "situation" that they are incapable of making fair evaluations.

if you are pointing us to the statements below the graphics, I see that ALL ads just quote the advertiser and their copy in the ads. Looks like the advertiser chooses the words that will appear below their ads, not CGC

Both the words under the ads and the ads thermself. I have to assume tyhe ads would be OKAYed by CGC before being place on their site, nes pa?

my point was, if you buy an ad anywhere, you can always say "WE ARE THE BEST!" And in this case, you can say it again in the text under the ad, which, Im thinking is there in cases where the image doesnt load properly! Youre too old to understand all that internet mumbo jumbo I know! : )

my point was, if you buy an ad anywhere, you can always say "WE ARE THE BEST!"

So is CGC just "selling ad space" then? Is that what you're saying?

PS - I was on the internet before there was a WWW piece to it! Using a 300bps modem (accoustic coupler) on a CP/M S-100 bus system I built in 1979 using an Aztec Z-80 processor board, 4 16K banks of RAM and three hard sectored floppies. Whippersnapper! You were probably raised on GUIs. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

short answer - - - yes. half our discussion was about ehether CGC should be selling ads, or at least what we all thought of them. Then it morphed into Matts ad appearing on the site selling enhancement etc. And finally to whether or not CGC should be promoting ONE vendor over another in its official FAQs.

three things going on at once.

my point was, if you buy an ad anywhere, you can always say "WE ARE THE BEST!" And in this case, you can say it again in the text under the ad, which, Im thinking is there in cases where the image doesnt load properly! Youre too old to understand all that internet mumbo jumbo I know! : )

... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,...

best.jpg

short answer - - - yes. half our discussion was about ehether CGC should be selling ads, or at least what we all thought of them. Then it morphed into Matts ad appearing on the site selling enhancement etc. And finally to whether or not CGC should be promoting ONE vendor over another in its official FAQs.

So I have to wonder if CGC would sell ad space to Tracy or Susan? Theoretically, of course. There is a real entanglement here that is not too difficult to discern.

PS - I was on the internet before there was a WWW piece to it! Using a 300bps modem (accoustic coupler) on a CP/M S-100 bus system I built in 1979 using an Aztec Z-80 processor board, 4 16K banks of RAM and three hard sectored floppies. Whippersnapper! You were probably raised on GUIs. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Acoustic coupler...I haven't seen one of those in a while. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Acoustic coupler...I haven't seen one of those in a while. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You probably haven;t felt one in an even longer time! blush.gifstooges.gif

So I have to wonder if CGC would sell ad space to Tracy or Susan? Theoretically, of course. There is a real entanglement here that is not too difficult to discern.

The entire "controversial debate" was not about whether CGC is simply selling ad space. There is nothing wrong with ad space. And I would be shocked were CGC to deny either Susan or Tracey any ad space were they were willing to pay for it as that would simply invoke a wave of justifiable criticism.

The issue in question, which is what FK addressed with Steve B. in an earlier post, was the recommendation of Matt's business in a non-advertisement format.

Now, as a separate hypothetical matter, were either Tracey or Susan to actually advertise on CGC's website, wow, that converts this controversy into a whole other debate. If I were an advertise paying good money to promote my services and CGC was elsewhere on the same website encouraging people to go to my competitor - talk about an inappropriate business policy.

Almost worth it for me to underwrite Tracey or Susan's ad to see how such a scenario would work out! 27_laughing.gif

The issue in question, which is what FK addressed with Steve B. in an earlier post, was the recommendation of Matt's business in a non-advertisement format.

Perhaps to you, my disclosing friend. But I see more than that. This is not just some legal thing to be broken out and addressed in the court of popular opinion. (what the HECK am I talking about?) This goes beyond isolating the idea of selling ad space and beyond isolating the idea of making restorer (presser) recommendations. This is about redefining restoration and eliminating one aspect of restoration from that redefinition, about advocating the manipulation of books to get a higher grade so dollars for them will increase, publicing and recommending that concept in the form of a restorer recommendation, and lastly selling ad space to the restorer who can then get more books submitted for pressing which would yield more books submitted to CGC. There is no one isolated thing here.

There is mnore but will leave it at that for now. I am still sober and I have not had my dinner yet.

Almost worth it for me to underwrite Tracey or Susan's ad to see how such a scenario would work out! 27_laughing.gif

Can someone clear this up? If I'm reading it right Banner Ads are only available to "CGC Authorized Member Dealers". Advertising

Which is this: Dealer Application

Is that correct, or are Banner Ads available to anyone? And maybe someone could go into detail about what "Member Dealers" agree to for acceptance.