• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miracleman #15

14 posts in this topic

For all you Modern collectors out there. Is this a tough book to find? Overstreet lists this book as being scarce, yet CGC shows that it has graded more copies of this issue than any other Miracleman issue. Is this just a reflection of the fact that collectors tend to send in the more valuable books to be graded? What other issues would be tough to find?

Based upon your expertise, since Overstreet has this book now listed at $60.00, what is the current market value for this book in 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8 after taking the downward adjustment in the Modern market into account?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

I sold a raw copy to a guy at a convention for $80 last March. He was happy to find it, as he needed it to complete his run and read the story.

Definitely powerful stuff. I wish they'd resolve the legal issues and get it out in the public eye. This material deserves to be available and accessible.

Kev

Bonds;

Was you offering a CGC 9.4 copy for sale a few months ago at a relatively reasonable price along with a couple of other Miracleman issues? If so, would you still have them available for sale and at what price?

Thanks!!

Hello

From memory, Miracleman 15 had a print-run of between just 8 and 9 thousand according to the CBG book. So by anyone's standard that's pretty "scarce" in relation to other modern comics' print-runs. However, certainly not "scarce" in relation to the Overstreet definition - i.e. in the glossary.

The value of MM 15 is probably escalated more due to the book's contents rather than it's scarcity in relation to the other issues. But yes, it's the most graded because it's seen as the most valuable. I have a 9.6 I bought in February for £125 ($187) - and I thought that was a good deal. A 9.4 went for $100 on ebay recently. But yes, Overstreet's $60 in raw NM is extremely under-priced... but other issues are even more under-valued.

The rarest issue is no.24 (especially in the UK) but looking at Ebay two have gone recently for between $30 and $40 (in VF). I think this is way, way under-valued - especially if you've got a 9.6 or 9.8.

No. 23 is also relatively scarce - as are no.11-14, 16 and 9. The rest are pretty common unless you're talking about the "Gold Edition" or the non-3D 3D edition.

Overall, MM items will shoot up massively when (when...) they finally sort-out he copyright issues. I was lucky enough to buy all my first copies originally as they came out... so the rise in value is an added bonus to what I still rate as the best superhero comic ever!

Overall, MM items will shoot up massively when (when...) they finally sort-out he copyright issues. I was lucky enough to buy all my first copies originally as they came out... so the rise in value is an added bonus to what I still rate as the best superhero comic ever!

No argument about how great the series is, but my take on the monetary value trend is exactly the opposite of yours. Not only are the comics collectors' items, so are the trade paperbacks (check eBay if you doubt). The reason? because the rights are tied up between Neil G. & Tom McF, there are no reprints possible for the TPBs. Once that gets sorted out, I predict new printings of the TPBs to satisfy the pent-up demand, which in turn will cool the demand for the originals, IMHO.

Now, if Gaiman, Moore (yeah, right) or some equally-talented writer picks up the character and carries him forward (Miracleman:Bronze Age anyone?), then that might indeed fuel back issue sales.

Cheers,

Z.

Bonds;

Was you offering a CGC 9.4 copy for sale a few months ago at a relatively reasonable price along with a couple of other Miracleman issues? If so, would you still have them available for sale and at what price?

Thanks!!

Hi - I do have a CGC 9.4 copy for sale (I think). I'll look when I get home, and put it aside for you.

No argument about how great the series is, but my take on the monetary value trend is exactly the opposite of yours. Not only are the comics collectors' items, so are the trade paperbacks (check eBay if you doubt). The reason? because the rights are tied up between Neil G. & Tom McF, there are no reprints possible for the TPBs. Once that gets sorted out, I predict new printings of the TPBs to satisfy the pent-up demand, which in turn will cool the demand for the originals, IMHO.

Now, if Gaiman, Moore (yeah, right) or some equally-talented writer picks up the character and carries him forward (Miracleman:Bronze Age anyone?), then that might indeed fuel back issue sales.

Cheers,

Z.

I agree you you on this one - in the longer term. I think that the set will eventually take a turn down price wise. However, there is the small matter of the completion of the Silver Age story arc (which I believe is alerady written AND drawn - someone correct me here if I'm wrong), and I think that Gaiman has got the next story arc or two outlined as well. Having fought so hard over it, and having the path for it laid out, I would (like to) believe that Gaiman would wish to finish what he started. This would have a (at least) short term shot in the arm for the original books. If Gaiman DOES finish it off though, from what I understand of the storylines, the book would be pretty much be impossible to carry on. It would then drop into the constant reprint hell of other books of this ilk (exhibits: Preacher, Sandman).

Brilliant series though, especially the Olympus storyline, and highly recommended!

Cheers,

Z.

I don't see why people buy expensive Volume 3 TPB (price range $125-$200) or Hardcover ($300-$325) specially that these are reprints. Eventually, after the case has been resolved between Gaiman and McFarlane, there would be unlimited TPBs/Hardcovers. Just look at what happened to Marvel Masterworks, Barnes and Nobles is selling TPBs for less than $12.

Bonds; Was you offering a CGC 9.4 copy for sale a few months ago at a relatively reasonable price along with a couple of other Miracleman issues? If so, would you still have them available for sale and at what price?

Hi - I have a CGC graded NM 9.4 copy for sale with white pages. The last CGC 9.4 copy sold for $100, and an ungraded NM copy sold for $77.

I also have ungraded issues of #1 (2 in NM- and 1 in VF/NM), #2 in NM (2 copies), and #6 in NM.

Please PM me with what issues you're looking for, and we'll work out a fair deal. Thanks! cool.gif

Issue 25 was fully written and drawn (I believe) but I doubt the issue will ever be printed as apparently the original art is now scattered all over the place in private hands. No.26, (the final part of the Silver Age), was plotted by Gaiman, but not written in full, I understand.

The final part was going to be entitled "The Dark Age" which would detail the return of Kid Miracleman. There are actually very subtle clues in The Golden Age if you read it carefully. MM himself doubted the success of his utopia.

Suffice to say, there's considerable mileage in the MM saga yet. I hope Gaiman does resume where he left off. But even the cameo in Hellspawn 6 was sufficiently intriguing... so let's just see. It could all fit into one great "apocrypha" at the end anyway...

Maybe the whole re-birth was just another dream created by Gargunza (did I spell that right?)

$$$$$$

p.s. if anyone has any CGC high-grade 23 or 24 - 9.6 or over - I'm interested in buying them. PM me

I don't see why people buy expensive Volume 3 TPB (price range $125-$200) or Hardcover ($300-$325) specially that these are reprints. Eventually, after the case has been resolved between Gaiman and McFarlane, there would be unlimited TPBs/Hardcovers. Just look at what happened to Marvel Masterworks, Barnes and Nobles is selling TPBs for less than $12.

Yeah but it's been over a decade now, and it still hasn't been resolved. The legal battle for MM might never be resolved --- Todd McFarlane ownes 33% of the rights.

After Gaiman whooped his butt in court in the Angela/Spawn case, you think he's gonna let Gaiman make money off of MM? I don't think so...

Besides, most rare hardcovers remain expensive no matter how many times it's been printed. Check out the first edition of Sandman: Season of Mists. That hardcover goes for at least $100 and it's gone thru a bazillion printings. makepoint.gif