• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,866 posts in this topic

Where was he, under Felix's own title? Do you think that's his work on the Four Color cover?

Yes, it was / is under Felix. The GCD is wigging out on me right now so when was this FC published? From the Comic Strip project, it seems that Oriolo might have been involved with Felix as early as 1945. If it is by Oriolo, it might be some of his earliest involvement with the strip. It does seem like his work but my opinion shouldn't count, really.

Were 15, 46 and 77 all strip reprints, and original material started with 119? Judging from the cover blurbs, that might be true.

15 looks simpler than the others (secondary characters) -- could that me Messmer himself?

46-119 look like maybe the same artist.

135 art looks a little different to me, but maybe I'm putting too much weight on the coloring (pink face).

(But I'm lousy at art ID.)

I like this style. Have you ever seen the video of Squirrel Nut Zipper's "Ghost of Stephen Foster" that uses the same look?

Jack

Issue 46 came out in 1943, here are some of the others for comparison 15, 77, 119, 135.

th_15.jpg

th_77.jpg

th_119.jpg

th_135.jpg

th_15.jpg

This one above is the classic look I associate with Messmer's work. The other one (46) is clearly not the work of the same artist.

and if this is Oriolo, then the cover to FC 46 is yet another artist. I retract my Oriolo guess.

801857-FelixTheCat29s.jpg

Nope, never seen the video, I'll have to look for it. I'm not good at artist ID, and usually leave it for others. To me the Mickey pie-eyed look seems to be different between 46 and the later ones.

Nope, never seen the video, I'll have to look for it.

It's a bonus on the Bedroom Ballroom CD. If you like these Felix books, you'd probably like it.

I'm not good at artist ID, and usually leave it for others.

Probably better than me, but I'm learning.

To me the Mickey pie-eyed look seems to be different between 46 and the later ones.

Could be -- people advise me to look at the secondary characters, because the lead character is probably drawn from a strict style sheet.

Jack

Issue 46

46.jpg

This looks like a book that Shiverbones needs to own! Not sure why Felix is hanging out with the dwarves but it's a fun cover.

Nope, never seen the video, I'll have to look for it.

It's a bonus on the Bedroom Ballroom CD. If you like these Felix books, you'd probably like it.

Jeez... did I type that?

Bedlam Ballroom.

Jack

Gotta break those beauties with this gem from my collection. FC 492 (took me a while to figure out where I'd put it) -

Seriously, does anyone mind seeing low-grade fillers for the "missing" books? There's a full run at GCD, so it's nothing you can't find elsewhere, but I can fill some gaps. If the point is to post copies that board members actually own, I'll jump in.

I just received a huge box of mostly Dells from the board's ckb (Chris), including about 90 Four Colors that I didn't have and another 50 that came along for the ride. They're in about fair to fine condition. (Anyone want to trade Four Colors books?)

I also got enough Short Bus books to keep that topic busy for the next few months! Who loves Dell's Angel?

Jack

I don't know about the others, but for me it's always fun to see what others have, and while I jealously drool over bullet's books, some of the lower grade ones are interesting simply because they were well loved.

61.jpg

I don't know about the others, but for me it's always fun to see what others have, and while I jealously drool over bullet's books, some of the lower grade ones are interesting simply because they were well loved.

I have a winner in that category!

Among the pile of Four Colors I just bought from ckb was this "Qualified Gem Near Mint 10.00" #397, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. The original owner apparently had a lending libary of comic books. There are two "date due" cards in the folder on the inside back page. Sadly, no one had checked this one out. It looks like something I might have done as a kid!

1707784-preston.jpg

I hope I didn't lower the grade by scanning it.

Jack

Seriously, does anyone mind seeing low-grade fillers for the "missing" books?

Grade is completely irrelevant for this thread.

There's a full run at GCD, so it's nothing you can't find elsewhere, but I can fill some gaps. If the point is to post copies that board members actually own, I'll jump in.

This thread is definitely about posting copies actually owned by board members, and not just showing anonymous scans or filling in gaps.

I have a winner in that category!

Among the pile of Four Colors I just bought from ckb was this "Qualified Gem Near Mint 10.00" #397, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. The original owner apparently had a lending libary of comic books. There are two "date due" cards in the folder on the inside back page. Sadly, no one had checked this one out. It looks like something I might have done as a kid!

1707784-preston.jpg

I hope I didn't lower the grade by scanning it.

Jack

I've done stuff like that too. blush.gif

Seriously, does anyone mind seeing low-grade fillers for the "missing" books?

Grade is completely irrelevant for this thread.

I'm on the case!

Grade is competely irrelevant to my FC collection.

There's a full run at GCD, so it's nothing you can't find elsewhere, but I can fill some gaps. If the point is to post copies that board members actually own, I'll jump in.

This thread is definitely about posting copies actually owned by board members, and not just showing anonymous scans or filling in gaps.

I'll look back at Montezuma's grid and see what I have. They're not slabbed (or slab-worthy) so I can even post some interior pages as time allows. If the art ID experts here can help me fill in credits for GCD indexing, I'd be grateful.

Jack

Among the pile of Four Colors I just bought from ckb was this "Qualified Gem Near Mint 10.00" #397, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. The original owner apparently had a lending library of comic books. There are two "date due" cards in the folder on the inside back page. Sadly, no one had checked this one out. It looks like something I might have done as a kid!

I've done stuff like that too. blush.gif

I don't suppose you dumped a load of Dells that found their way to Massachusetts... I may have stumbled onto the adamstrange Pedigree.

Where's my crayons? I'm gonna make me some CoAs!

Jack

If the art ID experts here can help me fill in credits for GCD indexing, I'd be grateful.

Why bother? I'll be waiting for Alberto B.'s index to be loaded. In fact, I do hope it's done sooner rather than later.

If the art ID experts here can help me fill in credits for GCD indexing, I'd be grateful.

Why bother? I'll be waiting for Alberto B.'s index to be loaded. In fact, I do hope it's done sooner rather than later.

True. I wonder if it's ever really going to happen. I got the impression that only major features are indexed -- no characters, synopses, etc.

Jack