• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 8:06 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

Hi All-

I have gotten a few e-mails and thought I'd put up a general reply.

I decided to sell my Four Color Collection after 20  years of working to collect it. I had the full set and was short only about 40 books that I thought were worth grading. Heritage is handling teh sale and all my books are in their hands. They will be selling them over the course of the next year or so, about 20-25 per week. For those who have posted your list of missing issues, it's a;most a certainty that those books will be put up for sale. About 125 have sold so far but there are another 1200-1300 to go. Here is a link to a press release on the sale:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-complete-1354-issue-run-of-dells-four-color-hits-auction/

For what it's worth, the best advice I ever got in collecting was from Josh Nathanson at ComicLink about 25 years ago when ComicLink was just building steam. He said to buy the highest grade you can afford. A book bought for $20 may be hard to resell at $10. A single highest graded copy bought at $500 will rarely sell for less and usually more.  I realize not everybody can afford the price of some of these higher grade books, but do yourself a favor, if you can and try to get at least one high grade book of something that you really want. You'll never regret it.

My current goal; is to collect every EC comic published in the highest grade I can afford. I'm actually closer than you might think, but like Four Color I'm at the point where what I don't have is the hard stuff to find.

Good luck and contact me if you have any questions. Please note I do not have any of the books in my collection as far as Four Color goes and cannot make deals outside of Heritage at this point. 

Good luck and happy New year!

Incidentally the Heritage Four Color sales are moving towards some of the lower numbers. Nine of the 25 issues in series one will be up for auction next week. These are difficult to find in any condition, let alone nine at once. 

I closed out 2021 pretty well.   completed 5 more transactions bringing in 13 of my missing issues  as well as 4 more upgrades  and a couple of the actual "missing Four Colors"

this one was part of the last group from BLISSARD,   and I saw it posted on OGWLOC  facebook  group today

FC 1157  Master of the World.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, jmg3637 said:

I am so close to my first first hundred group completed.  I have 99  in three of them  and at least 90%  in all of them

Great group of books 4GEM  has up this week.  I have bid early  and bid often o many of them.  Of course all of them would be amazing upgrades,   but there are actually  5  that I do not yet have.  Wonder for how many multiples of guide they will go for?

Here is a book  that would NEVER be confused  as part of the 4GEMWORKS collection. Even though it plugs a nice hole in the MISSING it opens up one in the Could be Upgraded portion.

In fact it was a free gift from fellow boardie Damonwad, so it will likely  not actually be replaced anytime soon.  Thanks again

FC 474 Mary Jane and Sniffles.jpg

FC 474 BC.jpg

It took me years to track down the two Mary Jane & Sniffles issues; I think the word is getting somewhat out these days that they're surprisingly hard to find for issues in the 400's.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:33 PM, OtherEric said:

It took me years to track down the two Mary Jane & Sniffles issues; I think the word is getting somewhat out these days that they're surprisingly hard to find for issues in the 400's.

My experience was that he is following stretch of books is amongst the hardest run to find, especially in better than a simple VG

552 Beetle Bailey
553 Susie Q Smith
554 Rusty Riley
555 Zane Grey's Range War
556 Double Trouble Goober
557 Ben Bowie and his Mountain Men
558 Elmer Fudd
559 I Love Lucy
560 Duck Album

561 Mr Magoo
562 Goofy

563 Rhubard,the Millionaire Cat
564 Lil Bad Wolf

565 Jungle Jim
566 Son of Black Beauty
567 Prince Valiant 
568 Gypsy Colt
569 Priscillas Pop
570 Beany and Cecil
571 Charlie McCarthy
572 Silvertip
573 The Little People
574 The Hand of Zorro
575 Annie Oakley and Tagg
576 Angel
577 MGM's Spike and Tyke
578 Steve Canyon

congrats on this round Hopefully  your fantastic results  will help to raise the boats of most of the rest of us  who rarely play in the best copy on the census  realm

So happy  to be liberating my images  from bein held hostage at photobucket.  WOuld love to be able to down load everything and close down the account by the end of the 3 month trial period

Can hardly believe how  easy it is to display large  sorted  group shots

Will also be nice to add in all the images I have scanned, but never uploaded  to the bucket

fc 003 Alley oop_zpsxnxntk0w.jpg

fc 016 Porky Pig and the Secret of the Haunted House_zpsyqdghyjo.jpg

fc 020 Barney Baxter_zpsdrv2sr9s.jpg

fc 030 Bambis Children_zpsuvaqqjdg.jpg

fc 030 bc_zpsit7mh3mj.jpg

fc 044 bc_zpspzew647u.jpg

FC 044 Terry amp Pirates _zps3onm10pd.jpg

fc 046 bc_zpsof6tnqee.jpg

fc 046 Felix_zpsnxfvdatw.jpg

fc 051 bc_zpsenpn8gd2.jpg

On 1/16/2022 at 3:06 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

My experience was that he is following stretch of books is amongst the hardest run to find, especially in better than a simple VG

552 Beetle Bailey
553 Susie Q Smith
554 Rusty Riley
558 Elmer Fudd
559 I Love Lucy
560 Duck Album

561 Mr Magoo
562 Goofy

564 Lil Bad Wolf

565 Jungle Jim
566 Son of Black Beauty
567 Prince Valiant 
568 Gypsy Colt
569 Priscillas Pop
570 Beany and Cecil
571 Charlie McCarthy
572 Silvertip
573 The Little People
574 The Hand of Zorro
576 Angel
577 MGM's Spike and Tyke
578 Steve Canyon

So it turns out that I have three different  numbering systems  that I used over the years.  First off  i just called the image fc123  for example   just the number  but no space ( perhaps variants  with a 2,3,or 4 digit number.  Then I started  adding the title  after  the number  with or without a space.

Finally  I went with  fc  and a space  followed by  the number   and then a space with the name.  guess I have nearly 1000  images  to adjust/fix the name on

and another variant  fcfs follwed by the number  for the First Series.   sure wish I had been able to add  some of yours  to the collection

fcfs 2 Don Winslow of the Navy_zpsjyhic8ee.jpg

FCFS8.jpg

FCFS14.jpg

FCFS19.jpg

fcfs20.jpg

FCFS23 (2).jpg

FCFS23.jpg

On 1/11/2022 at 2:15 PM, jmg3637 said:

I closed out 2021 pretty well.   completed 5 more transactions bringing in 13 of my missing issues  as well as 4 more upgrades  and a couple of the actual "missing Four Colors"

this one was part of the last group from BLISSARD,   and I saw it posted on OGWLOC  facebook  group today

FC 1157  Master of the World.jpg

I picked up an unread copy of that in the last couple of years. Bought a group of Dell and Gold Keys that had supposedly fallen behind a newsrack and sat there unmolested for years. Who knows if true but they were all pretty nice although this one was rougher than most; must have been on the bottom of the pile! Fun story.

MasteroftheWorld1157.thumb.jpg.636a032017f8c418164160f71730f6b9.jpg

And by and odd coincidence I just saw the below image on a FB page where you could solicit the above book for sale!

No photo description available.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 1/9/2022 at 10:07 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

Incidentally the Heritage Four Color sales are moving towards some of the lower numbers. Nine of the 25 issues in series one will be up for auction next week. These are difficult to find in any condition, let alone nine at once. 

Pretty good results on some of those Heritage books last night. I was astounded at the runup prices but even more astounded at the realized prices!

One of my earliest Four color trades from when I went to SDCC.  I got 47 Four Colors  including this one.  I must have traded A key book for them  As I am trying to recall  I am thinking it was my undercopy of B&B 28

FC535.jpg

FC535BC.jpg

552 Beetle Bailey
553 Susie Q Smith
554 Rusty Riley
558 Elmer Fudd
559 I Love Lucy
560 Duck Album

561 Mr Magoo
562 Goofy

564 Lil Bad Wolf

565 Jungle Jim
566 Son of Black Beauty
567 Prince Valiant 
568 Gypsy Colt
569 Priscillas Pop
570 Beany and Cecil
571 Charlie McCarthy
572 Silvertip
573 The Little People
574 The Hand of Zorro
576 Angel
577 MGM's Spike and Tyke
578 Steve Canyon

Just  the task of organizing the images is quite a bit of work.  In downloading from photobucket  I noticed a number of duplicate images,  not additional copies , but duplicates.  went through  the sub folders I had set up  and deleted 303 extras  and now have 1234  images  many of which are back covers.  Still have to fix the naming  of over 700  of these before I can integrate them.  Then the fun part will be to fiond and integrate  all of the images taken  since I stopped uploading to bucket.

Here are the older imagtes of the books that I have in  the range  4GEM  mentioned  for some reason  one of the books will not upload..  It looks  like most of these went on my very first  UPGRADABLE  list

fc556.jpg

fc558.jpg

fc559.jpg

fc560.jpg

FC562.jpg

fc565.jpg

fc568.jpg

fc572.jpg

fc573.jpg

fc577.jpg

552 Beetle Bailey
553 Susie Q Smith
554 Rusty Riley
558 Elmer Fudd
559 I Love Lucy
560 Duck Album

561 Mr Magoo
562 Goofy

564 Lil Bad Wolf

565 Jungle Jim
566 Son of Black Beauty
567 Prince Valiant 
568 Gypsy Colt
569 Priscillas Pop
570 Beany and Cecil
571 Charlie McCarthy
572 Silvertip
573 The Little People
574 The Hand of Zorro
576 Angel
577 MGM's Spike and Tyke
578 Steve Canyon

Another great set of books  listed Glen.  I have already put in placeholder bids on many

I was shocked for how much the 235 Tiny Tim went for.  I think last years O  had guide for an 8.0 at like 40  I tapped out somewhere in the 200s  Hammered at 1000  and with vig 1200 .  effectively 30x  

Here are a couple more  that were among that last added to Bucket.  

fc555ZGsRangeWar_zpsd4f8fad1.jpg

fc566SonofBlackBeauty_zpsfee07f1f.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 11:00 PM, jmg3637 said:

One of my earliest Four color trades from when I went to SDCC.  I got 47 Four Colors  including this one.  I must have traded A key book for them  As I am trying to recall  I am thinking it was my undercopy of B&B 28

FC535.jpg

FC535BC.jpg

Incidentally, you may discover that the next Lucy (#559), in particular, is elusive in high-grade. In all my years of looking I could not figure out why. I can't remember who, might have been Gene Carpenter, eventually told me that the file copies (mostly sold by Heritage) had been at the bottom of a box somewhere and suffered moisture damage and/or some other type of damage. So, the genesis, or lack thereof, foiled the ability of many or any, to get a high-grade copy. I have/had a 7.5 which is tied for top census. I'll try and upload a picture. If a high-grade copy exists it's out there in a hidden collection bought off the newsstand rack, if it exists at all.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:23 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

Incidentally, you may discover that the next Lucy (#559), in particular, is elusive in high-grade. In all my years of looking I could not figure out why. I can't remember who, might have been Gene Carpenter, eventually told me that the file copies (mostly sold by Heritage) had been at the bottom of a box somewhere and suffered moisture damage and/or some other type of damage. So, the genesis, or lack thereof, foiled the ability of many or any, to get a high-grade copy. I have/had a 7.5 which is tied for top census. I'll try and upload a picture. If a high-grade copy exists it's out there in a hidden collection bought off the newsstand rack, if it exists at all.

558 (Elmer Fudd) only has two graded copies with the top copy  at 8.0 and only two graded copies total. I wonder if that was stacked next to 559 on the bottom?