• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, kaculler said:

This one just arrived today.  85 issues to go, though still no hundred runs completed.

I need one issue for the 600s, 700s, 1000s, 1100s, and 1200s

I need two issues for the 300s, 500s, 800s, and 900s

I need three issues for the 400s and 1300s

so it is just a matter of time.

fc785.jpeg

The group shot is going to be the mother of all group shots. 

On 12/12/2021 at 5:46 PM, jmg3637 said:

You and I  seem to be at about the same spot in our collectiion for the Four Colors.  I also need 85 more books to complete the runs.  Not sure about you, but I am going for first and Second series.  

I also have yet to comp,ete any 100  series  needing onlu 1  for the for the 100's  600's  and 1000's  

even after concentrating on the firsst 100  I still need  10 issues  as well as the 500s  and 1200s

Here is one of the earliest  issues  I added  over the last year

FC 022  Tillie the Toiler.jpg

That's a sweet looking issue of Tillie.  I still need that one, unfortunately.  I won a copy #60 Tiny Folks Funnies over the weekend so the number should be down to 84 soon, though that is only for Series II.  

I'm also collecting the first series, but didn't really start collecting those until a few years ago.  I need 19 issues from Series I.

My earliest issues from each series are #9 Terry and the Pirates from Series I and #3 Alley Oop from Series II.

FCMISSINGUPDATENOV2021.thumb.jpg.5484d5686f87620ca760873f23dc53be.jpgHere is my recently revised  MISSING/UPGRADE  Spreadsheet

I have 9 more books coming  that will bring me down to on 76 missing issues

First 1.5 columns are missing (GR=0)

For programing simplicity  I have the First series nestled in beginning with 1371  as FS #1  Tracey

Next 3.5 columns  are books  that can use an upgrade ( currently set at  2.5  or below)  I can adjust that variable  to either increase or decrease the grade  for that category

Last column  are mostly the early books  along with grades  just to fill up the spreadsheet  programing

Due to 4GEM  I also added  the missing Four Colors  to my quest.  I think I am only missing a few of those.

Always looking for trades  to either fill holes  or that are significant  upgrades  from my existing copy

Hi All-

I have gotten a few e-mails and thought I'd put up a general reply.

I decided to sell my Four Color Collection after 20  years of working to collect it. I had the full set and was short only about 40 books that I thought were worth grading. Heritage is handling teh sale and all my books are in their hands. They will be selling them over the course of the next year or so, about 20-25 per week. For those who have posted your list of missing issues, it's a;most a certainty that those books will be put up for sale. About 125 have sold so far but there are another 1200-1300 to go. Here is a link to a press release on the sale:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-complete-1354-issue-run-of-dells-four-color-hits-auction/

For what it's worth, the best advice I ever got in collecting was from Josh Nathanson at ComicLink about 25 years ago when ComicLink was just building steam. He said to buy the highest grade you can afford. A book bought for $20 may be hard to resell at $10. A single highest graded copy bought at $500 will rarely sell for less and usually more.  I realize not everybody can afford the price of some of these higher grade books, but do yourself a favor, if you can and try to get at least one high grade book of something that you really want. You'll never regret it.

My current goal; is to collect every EC comic published in the highest grade I can afford. I'm actually closer than you might think, but like Four Color I'm at the point where what I don't have is the hard stuff to find.

Good luck and contact me if you have any questions. Please note I do not have any of the books in my collection as far as Four Color goes and cannot make deals outside of Heritage at this point. 

Good luck and happy New year!

Edited by 4GEMWORKS

Good luck on the sale(s)

I was estimating what this massive endeavor might yield.  I think the 500K  in the article is actually a bit low.

Trying to rescue my thousands of images  from the clutches of Photobucket.  I broke down and began paying the minimum of 4.99  per month.  not even sure what I get for that

Well  it was not terribly painful to download a couple of batches

This is part of my undercopies  which I traded off to MYCOMICSHOP a while back.  Plan on sending in another 50 or so soon

fc1032.jpg

fc1047.jpg

fc312.jpg

fc698.jpg

fc783ElmerFudd.jpg

fc802-1.jpg

fc863.jpg

Edited by jmg3637
adding images