• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the BEST current monthly series of them all. Name only one and why?

58 posts in this topic

Without a doubt, Fantastic Four .

The current Waid/Weiringo team is the best run the title has had in years; decades even. Not to take anything away from Simonson (who still holds the place of best Doom issue in my opinion) but probably the best run since Byrne.

Too bad Waid is leaving.....

Jim

Without a doubt, Fantastic Four .

The current Waid/Weiringo team is the best run the title has had in years; decades even. Not to take anything away from Simonson (who still holds the place of best Doom issue in my opinion) but probably the best run since Byrne.

Too bad Waid is leaving.....

Jim

When Waid leaves, the ongoing series will be called DOOMED Fantastic Four.

Or maybe there is a plan to start the Ultimate Fantastic Four to plug the upcoming movie?

I just could not get into Weiringo's art. I bought the first issue or two and then never came back. I was tempted by the landmark 500th issue, but I put it back on the rack. It was just to goofy looking for me. I know they were trying to create a different tone, but they didn't do a good enough sell job to me.

I'm w/ Paladin. I love the old FF, and even considered subscribing when I got back into comics. The guys at my shop told me about the "Unthinkable" arc (knowing that I'm a huge Doom fan) a month or so before it came out. After seeing Weiringo's rendition, I passed. Weid's Doom is weak as well. I'm sure I'll borrow the trade from somebody, but that's not the Doom or FF I remember.

Chris

the first issue of the FF arc was awesome. Doom ssurprise betrayal was well done.. But, IMO, the rest of the story was FF/Doom as usual, and I didnt like the art, and barely managed to finish it. And Reed mastering the mustic arts in a mere few pages was too much for me. Goodbye Waid. See ya on the next title.

Completely agree on FF... while the first issue with Doom was good, the rest of the book has been average and the art is terrible and the story just reads at times in the realm of the completely unreadable (it has its moments too), but for me, the Weiringo art is just not a good fit for the FF. Happy to see Weiringo go, but Waid usually does a good job with the books, so even though I thought the Doom storyline wasn't worth the hype, if given time, his overall run probably would be pretty good.

so even though I thought the Doom storyline wasn't worth the hype, if given time, his overall run probably would be pretty good.

Except for the fact that Waid has just been fired from the FF. shocked.gifgrin.gif

Is it just me, or is Weiringo's art better suited for a Disney movie????

I think you might be right. For me his art is very cartoony and would appeal much more to children IMHO.

Alias! Buy this book!

Alias is getting cancelled and will be rebooted as an all-audiences title. I'm shocked, shocked, shocked to see Marvel engaging this kind of behavior. tongue.gif

SAN DIEGO COMIC CON NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT:

At Marvel’s Panel minutes ago The House announced that the Marvel Max series Alias would be ending with issue 28 and turn into a Marvel PSR book. Marvel PSR books are recommended for readers 12 and up. Brian Michael Bendis said the reason for the change was because, “It’s frustrating not being able to do stories about a lot of mainstream characters because you can’t really put the ‘franchise’ in the same issue as anal.”

The series is going to be renamed The Pulse and will feature Jessica Jones, J. Jonah Jameson, Luke Cage, and Ben Ulrich. It will be another in the “Great tradition of mysteries and scandals of the Marvel Universe,” said Bendis, who also commented. “Jessica will have a major life changing event involving one of the mainstream characters of the Marvel Universe.”

Bendis compared the change from Alias to The Pulse with Stormwatch becoming The Authority. “Just watch what happens here,” said Bendis. “This is the start of new things and I’m very very excited about it.”

After the panel, Bendis told THE PULSE,”The Pulse is loosely based on the NY Post Page Six section in that it will center on a section of the paper that covers super human happenings. J. Jonah Jameson will have a crisis of conscious as he wonders if he has ruined the newspaper through his coverage of superheroes. The book will center heavily on the relationship between Jessica and J. Jonah.”

Quesada and Bendis said they hoped to keep the entire Alias team on the book, but Michael Gaydos’ involvement is uncertain as he wants to pursue more painted work.

Darth if bendis is on board and excited give it a chance... If it works your Alias's will skyrocket!!

The whole deal with the Purple Man/mass murderer in current Purple story line is pretty good- I liked reading about that angle of his powers - i'm betting another "love scene" similar to the one Jessica has with Luke Cage (who knew he was a bonafide backdoor boy!) is in store in this Purple storyarc and bendis will end the current series with a booty bang wink.gif

Not about the $$$ with Alias - I just happen to have a duplicate set of high grades I can unload smile.gif

Can't find Murph's post from a few weeks ago (thought it was in this thread. Wrong again!) where he said that "The Goon" was a great title. I just read the first trade and am sorry I didn't pick this book up when it came out. Frikkin' hilarious!!!!

It took a little bit of getting used to, but really good stuff. Recommend it to anyone that likes horror or humor books! The fake ads are a riot! I think the "Atomic Rage" is my new favorite character!!! Those covers alone are worth the money!!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris