• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picture of Tec (27)-53 run

96 posts in this topic

Perhaps Metropolis' goal is to create confusion with the listing (until someone notices, that is) - for example, ask them what their definition of "siamese pages" is.

And I seriously doubt if potential buyer frustration even enters the equation.

They know better, and we know better.

STEVE

Perhaps Metropolis' goal is to create confusion with the listing (until someone notices, that is) - for example, ask them what their definition of "siamese pages" is.

STEVE

Better yet, why don't we ask them what separated siamese pages are. I think that would be a more accurate question. Don't you think?

S

STEVE

Perhaps Metropolis's goal was to create a clearer picture of the book. Certainly stating that a book has a 2" spine split and is otherwise a FN+ is a much clearer description of that book than say, calling it VG+.

S

Now, now Stephen....your listing said "siamese" pages and that's it.

Your following PM mentioned nothing of the pages being crudely cut apart with scissors, and large chunks missing from the interiors (including going into the artwork), did it?

You are the Master, I give you credit for that. No one else in this hobby can better stretch a grade, push the price, and fail to disclose all the while still making the sale.

This is neither the time nor the place to tell the full story, but rest assured it is being told....over and over and over again.

STEVE

Now, now Stephen....your listing said "siamese" pages and that's it.

Your following PM mentioned nothing of the pages being crudely cut apart with scissors, and large chunks missing from the interiors (including going into the artwork), did it?

You are the Master, I give you credit for that. No one else in this hobby can better stretch a grade, push the price, and fail to disclose all the while still making the sale.

This is neither the time nor the place to tell the full story, but rest assured it is being told....over and over and over again.

STEVE

Since you brought it up, let's take a look at Planet #3. The book was originally sold by Harley Yee with no mention of the separated siamese pages. Metropolis listed the book as having separated siamese pages. We listed it that way on our website, our catalog, the book's label and on the invoice. I sent you the book on approval so that you could see the book in person BEFORE paying for it. I sent you an email the same day the book was mailed to you stating why I priced the book the way I did and how I would have priced the book had it not had the separated siamese page. A week later you contacted our office to state that you wished to purchase the book. Additional, you sent me an email that your decision to purchase the book was a close one but at the end of the day, it was a book you wanted to own.

30 days later, you send me an email griping about the siamese pages. You told me that you had shown the book to another collector who was "aghast" at the separated siamese pages.

Sending a Larson Planet #3 on approval to a customer is a good thing. It is a sign of trust and good faith. Yet your later email stated that I was taking advantage of you by sending you a book that you would be seeing "through rose colored glasses". That sending you a book on approval was somehow wrong because it was a book that you really wanted to buy.

I am perplexed.

S

STEVE

Perhaps Metropolis's goal was to create a clearer picture of the book. Certainly stating that a book has a 2" spine split and is otherwise a FN+ is a much clearer description of that book than say, calling it VG+.

S

A vg+ is a vg+, with one of it's faults being a 2" spine split. I have a a book that would be a vf+ except that it's cover is detached, it has a 4 inch spine split and a 3" tear on the back cover with a detached centerold that is ragged. Let's call it a g- for real.

Stephen, I do appreciate your admitting that you failed to provide full disclosure with your lisiting and your email before mailing out the book.

I will now admit something that you never will....I made several mistakes in dealing with you.

It was my mistake trying to mend bridges with Metropolis after all the times that you have misrepresented books to me, and a plethora of my friends in the hobby, over the past two decades. And I don't even know Nicholas Cage.

It was my mistake to think that Metropolis could be trusted with their grading, their pricing, or their level of disclosure.

It was my mistake in keeping this book (a Larson, sigh).

There are so many of us who truly love this hobby, and that leaves us vulnerable at times. Like I said, you are the Master at taking advantage of this.

I will not make these same mistakes again. I hope that others can learn from my honest mistakes.

Judging by the PMs I am now receiving from other board members, it appears that I am not alone in this regard. Imagine that.

Anyway, thank you for helping me put this issue to rest - I feel better already. I hope you do to.

STEVE

I have dealt with Metropolis many times in the past. Yes, some times I have dissagreed with the grade, but that happens with every dealer. Hell, I don't agree with CGC most of the time. I've seen many slabbed books I thought was over graded. It happens.

One thing I do know. When there is a problem, Metropolis tries to make it right. You can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try.

Rick we have so many unusual things in common.We both collect Vintage comicbooks and we have both owned Ferraris in our lifetimes.

What are the odds?

hello all...

very cool , Peter ...what did you have?...I owned a '79 308 GTB, a 86 328 GTS (my avatar, 1 of only 60 serra blue factory produced models and my favorite car I have ever owned) and a 88 Testarossa (fast, but kind of boxey and no targa top...got very hot driving in the Florida summer, with the v12 humming behind me)

rick

Awesome! I'm small potatos, I have to stick with Porsche. the '06 Cayman S will have to do for now. Maybe in '08 I will add a 911 Turbo, just have to wait and see.

Geez, best I can do is a sweet red 1992 Dodge Stealth, which I loved, but I'd like the play toys you guys had!

Rick we have so many unusual things in common.We both collect Vintage comicbooks and we have both owned Ferraris in our lifetimes.

What are the odds?

hello all...

very cool , Peter ...what did you have?...I owned a '79 308 GTB, a 86 328 GTS (my avatar, 1 of only 60 serra blue factory produced models and my favorite car I have ever owned) and a 88 Testarossa (fast, but kind of boxey and no targa top...got very hot driving in the Florida summer, with the v12 humming behind me)

rick

Awesome! I'm small potatos, I have to stick with Porsche. the '06 Cayman S will have to do for now. Maybe in '08 I will add a 911 Turbo, just have to wait and see.

Geez, best I can do is a sweet red 1992 Dodge Stealth, which I loved, but I'd like the play toys you guys had!

Ready when you are counselor. cool.gif

hello all...

well, my first car in High school was a 1975 volkswagon Superbeetle...my dad actually removed the little 1300cc? engine and replaced it with a 2160 cc engine, and that little sucker would move!...talk about some heads turning, not many "bugs' that could hang with the camaro's and firebirds of the day...course, now that I have 4 kids, it is "station wagon" time for me smile.gif

rick