• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix Comic-Con

52 posts in this topic

Sorry more news to post smile.gif

eric_b.jpg

Eric Basaldua (EBAS) attends with Exclusive Phoenix Con special of The Cow!

(Wolverine Witchblade artist)

EBAS is the pen name for artist, Eric Basaldua. He has been the mainstay penciler at TOP COW, working on such titles as Magadalena, Tomb Raider, Darkness and the crossover special- Wolverine/Witchblade. EBAS's best known for his good girl covers from JayCompanyComics.com including the new gold foil, Phoenix Con special of THE COW.

usps.jpg

Post Office Returns to Sender with DC Stamps

(Saturday 10-2 PM ONLY)

The United States Postal Service returns to the Phoenix Comicon for a

limited one day engagement on Saturday 10-2 PM ONLY. They will have DC

Stamps and related merchandise for purchase. Don't miss this chance to pick up some great stamps.

Today last day to purchase tickets online!

Today is the final day to purchase tickets for the Comicon online (those tickets will be held at our Will Call table at registration).

Instore ticket sales have also ended.

Ticket sales begin at-the-door at the convention this Friday at 5 PM and continue through the weekend. The price does remain the same online as at the door (just less lines to stand in).

You got the Anime Smarts?

(Test your knowledge at our Anime Game Show)

Compete against other Otaku in this Anything-goes Anime Game Show. Prizes will be awarded to the biggest Otaku, but if you don't measure up you'll be

booted from the game.

Sunday 2 PM in Palo Verde I

steverude_demo.jpg

Steve Rude hosts Painting Demo

(Saturday 1 - 4 PM Superstition South Ballroom)

Join award-winning comic artist Steve Rude as he demonstates "How to paint your favorite Superhero" with this live painting demonstration for all Phoenix Con attendees. Fans and professsional alike are invited to attend one of Rude rare public painting demos as he shows you step-by-step how to paint your favorite comic super hero. Meet Steve on Saturday afternoon from 1-4 in the Superstition South Ball.

film_festival.jpg

Film Festival Schedule available

(We are now an International affair)

The Phoenix Comicon International Film Festival Schedule (a mouthful it is) is now online!We've got movies the entire weekend from Friday through Sunday.

Check out the schedule here.

Award Winner Costume Creator Scott Crawford attends!

(You'll see him as Hellboy, Batman, Wolverine and more!)

Scott Crawford is a custom costume designer whose work has won numerous awards including Grand Prize in the Wizard Comic magazine costume contest. You may have seen his costumes at San Diego Comic-Con, Wizard World Chicago or numerous other conventions around the country.

Scott is most recognized for his faithful recreations of comic book heroesand villains including SpiderMan ™, Batman ™ , the X-Men ™, Wolverine ™, Hellboy™ and the Justice League ™.

His work appears in the film 'Comic Book: The Movie' directed by and

starring Mark Hamill and has been shown on the David Letterman show.

J-Fashion Show-s off Japanese street culture

An introduction to the vibrant Japanese street culture will be followed by models showing off the styles worn in the streets of Tokyo's hottest fashion districts.

Sunday 2 PM Palo Verde II

George Perez sketching policy for Hero Initiative

George Perez will be sketching headshots both days at our convention. He does ten sketches a day for $50 each that goes directly to the Hero

Initiative. Here's how it works:

1) In the first hour of opening the convention (10-11 AM) those interested should go to the Hero Initiative Booth (#50) to receive one raffle ticket.

2) Additional raffle tickets may be purchased for $1 each, with proceeds going directly to the Hero Initiative

3) At 11 AM George will draw ten winners who then purchase a headshot of their choice. One person can only win once (so don't think you can stuff the ballot and win ten times).

4) George will work on the sketches throughout the day.

5) Process begins again Sunday at 10 AM.

Collins College hosts Phoenix Comicon Preview Day

Check out some of Phoenix Comicon's artists, storytellers and writers at Collins College's COMICON PREVIEW DAY taking place at both campuses on FRIDAY JAN 26th!

They will talk about how they got where they are in the industry, their latest work and have a short Q&A with their fans. There is no charge for this event!

Collins College website

Eat lunch and get sketch with Mike Mignola and George Perez

(Ebay Auctions up now)

The wondrously talented Mike Mignola and George Pérez have donated their time for two lucky winners in the latest The Hero Initiative Benefit Lunch and Sketch Ebay Auctions.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to talk shop with Mignola and Pérez at the Phoenix Cactus Comicon!

Pérez has announced that his last cons until 2009 will be Phoenix Cactus Comicon, New York Comic-Con and Pittsburgh. Don't miss out on seeing the great George Pérez NOW!

George Perez Lunch Auction with Sketch

Mike Mignola Lunch Auction with Sketch

Mignola's lunch will take place on Saturday, January 27 at 12 pm. Pérez's lunch will take place on Sunday, January 28 at 1 pm.

Directions to the Mesa Convention Center

The Mesa Convention Center is located on the southeast corner of University Drive and Center Street.

201 N. Center Street, Mesa, Arizona 85201

Directions & Map

Volunteers Sought by Comicon

It's not too late to become a volunteer and receive free admission and a t-shirt when you volunteer.

Please email Volunteer Director Mauri Bigler at

volunteer@phoenixcomicon.com for more information or to express interest.

Thank you fans and sponsors!

(Personal note from Director Matt Solberg)

I simply cannot believe that the Phoenix Comicon is THIS weekend? We have been working for almost two years to establish a strong multi-genre convention in Arizona that culminated in our September Convention and now this January convention. We're bringing out some of the biggest names in the anime world and some of the biggest names in the comic book community. We've got great activities and events and have expanded our offerings and space for this show. And we couldn't have done it without the support of our attendees (that would be you) who voted with your time to attend our convention and with your wallets to purchase a ticket.

There are numerous staff and volunteers who have made this convention

possible. Too many too name. But they all know who they are and what they mean to this convention. And when you meet them this weekend, say "Hi" and if you feel it's deserved, say "Thank you." I cannot say it enough and hope if a couple thousand people to say it, then all will be right with the world.

There are a great number of local retailers who have supported us - local educational institutions - local media outlets - and more all of whom have made this the signature pop culture event in Arizona. You've seen their ads on our site and attended events in the stores and you'll see them all this weekend. Make sure to say "Hi" and thank them too.

We do all this work as we believe in providing a convention for all of us to come together. For Fans. For working professionals and creators. For publishers. For Vendors. And more. It's that one time when we can express our love for these entertainment mediums and meet those who have inspired us.

We consider this to be a wholly worth while investment of our time and

efforts. We hope this weekend you'll consider it to be a great investment of yours as well.

Respectfully,

Matt Solberg

Convention Director

(Can you believe the Phoenix Comicon begins tomorrow?)

The Perez sketch raffle kinda stinks I was hoping for a first come first serve deal. The main reason for me going to the convention was to get a sketch from Perez and now its a luck of the draw. Wish I would've known that before I bought a ticket I might've thought twice about it. frustrated.giftonofbricks.gif

The Perez sketch raffle kinda stinks I was hoping for a first come first serve deal. The main reason for me going to the convention was to get a sketch from Perez and now its a luck of the draw. Wish I would've known that before I bought a ticket I might've thought twice about it. frustrated.giftonofbricks.gif

We only found out about it this week frown.gif

Heroes initiative made the call and will probably do this with his next two appearances as well.

Aww well you can still bring things for him to sign or attend his panels or check out the vendor room or go to other panels or get sketches from other artists!

I'll still have fun just the odds of being on of 10 people out of a couple thousand is pretty slim. Just bummed. Maybe I can get his info for a consignment outside the convention.

Have fun this weekend! Make sure to say hi to Harshen, Paul and Bill. Maybe next year I'll be able to check this show out, I think you have done an excellent job organizing and promoting this show online and I hope all of that hard work translates into a successful show!

CGC offers Signature Series grading!

CGC will be offering its Signature Series grading at our convention. This entails a CGC Representative viewing a signature and then the book being submitted for grading.

More details will be available as we finalize staff and volunteer staffing schedules.

If anyone attending this event has any Signature Series requests --- make sure to see Paul and Bill at the CGC booth as EARLY as you can so that they can make the arrangements to get them signed for you or come and witness the signing!

All the best,

Kev

I went to the Preview night and then attended on Saturday and Sunday. Attendance for the show seemed similar to last year if not a bit better on Sunday. Unfortunately, the selection of quality, older material was not as good as what was available last year. Two of the better dealers (Terry's Comics and Fantasy Comics) were unable to do the show, and that was a disappointment. Given the lack of older comics, I focused on Bronze and Copper age material for the most part and picked up a decent number of comics. Besides picking up some more comics from the great Don Rosa collection, the only other real highlight was purchasing a mid-to-high grade copy of FF Annual #4.

The forum dinner was small with only five attendees. Still, it was very enjoyable, and I am glad we were able to get something together this year. Hopefully, we will have more attendees next year.

The one negative was the increase of annoying cosplay attendees. It's one thing for these people to run amok outside of the dealers room, but to see them running around and shouting like wild banshees in the dealers room was quite irritating. I wish security would have at least cautioned some of the ones using the room as a track meet.

I brought a camera Figured I would take pics and few few shots of some of the ladies in skimpy costumes, But It turned out the ladies where little teenie boppers and I got depressed and put the camera away.

No pics or con reports so that those of us wannabe "Zonies" (let me give a shout out to all the Yuma Yummies in the house) can live vicariously through the boards? shy.gif

See my post above your post for a con report. As for pics, this show wasn't really a pic taking event.

I brought a camera Figured I would take pics and few few shots of some of the ladies in skimpy costumes, But It turned out the ladies where little teenie boppers and I got depressed and put the camera away.

I thought about bringing my camera, but most of the eye candy walking around was probably too young to feel good about photographing. If you really want an event at which to get some amazing pictures, go to the AVN convention in Vegas. There aren't any comics there, but I guarantee there are plenty of photographs to be taken grin.gif.