• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sac-con mini-review

8 posts in this topic

So I went to the Sacramento comic con today. This was an odd show. I had a very hard time finding anything worth spending money on, and there seemed to be an abnormally large amount of cosplay anime kids plugging the halls.

First, the good:

Steve Wyatt, and Brian Peets saved the day with a few good books making it worth my trip downtown. Picked up the following from these fellas:

StrangeFantasy9.jpg

Rockets-Blast-Special-1-web.jpg

Fight-Comics-32-web.jpg

B-Bar-B-Riders-4-web.jpg

Steve Wyatt had a more limited selection this time out, but had a large chunk of John Dolmayan's CGC books with him, including a Batman 1 and Marvel Mystery 1, among others. Not much in the way of lower grade affordable golden age, but I enjoyed looking at some of the books I couldn't afford.

Brian Peets had his usual great selection, with reasonable prices, and accurrate grading. I've gotten a few nice books over the past month from him, and feel very lucky to have a dealer of his caliber in my area. If christmas wasn't fast approaching, I would have bought a few more Nedors, but I still have gifts to buy and can't afford to spoil myself that much this time of year.

Now, the bad:

Anyone looking for Golden Age books really didin't have a whole lot of options. I noticed a few of the regular dealers weren't there this time. It could have been the rain that kept them away, but the show seemed to be well attended. On the flip side, the majority of people at the con looked to be anime/cosplay kids.

A real sour note for me, was attempting to ask Scott Hudlow of Scott Hudlow comics if he had anything I might be interested in. That was a bad move. Everytime I see this jerk at a comic show, he always has a bad attitude. I don't even know why he bothers to set up at shows at all. He has terrible customer service skills, and is the most unhelpful dealer I have yet to meet at a show. Not to mention, he has the same old tired, overpriced, overgraded books every show.

All in all, it was ok. Not the best, but not the worst. Hopefully Wonder-con and Super-con have better things in store.

-Chris

Chris, thanks for a really thorough report. Always nice to see cool GA like you posted.

I smiled at your description of abnormally large numbers of cosplay kids because I think of that as the "norm" for that show. It does give it a nice younger vibe you didn't see at say, the Hayward show in October.

You won't often see a Batman 1 or Marvel Mystery 1 at that show!

I'm really gearing up for Wondercon, myself.

Marc

We had two tables scheduled... but I made the decision not to go at around 3am this morning. (Didn't want to load the SUV in the rain, unload in the rain, then reload when it was supposed to Thunderstorm in Sacramento with 1/4" of rain.)

Sorry we missed it.

Sounds like they had more rain than we did then.

I wonder if the fact that the dealer room sold out led to some comics guys being shut out.

I know one guy (who had 2-3 tables in September) told me that he wouldn't be there this time because he transports his comics in an open trailer and can't risk the weather this time of year. smile.gif

I missed it too. One of my friends called me from the show and told me there were 10,000 people there and that 9999 were there for the cosplay. Chris you must have been the other one. Glad you found something.