• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How effective is prescreening?

15 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have a number raw BA books that have strong 9.4 shots, but I plan on prescreening before I go whole hog.

In the opinion of the boards, how effective is the prescreening. I know it can't guarantee a 9.4 but in your collective experience, how often do the books come back graded as pre-screened? All the time? 90% of the time? Half the time?

Also, is the precreening done by CGC itself, or by the dealers who are submission partners? If it is indeed done by the dealers, who are the most accurate at the prescreen>

Thanks

Shep

Hey all,

I have a number raw BA books that have strong 9.4 shots, but I plan on prescreening before I go whole hog.

In the opinion of the boards, how effective is the prescreening. I know it can't guarantee a 9.4 but in your collective experience, how often do the books come back graded as pre-screened? All the time? 90% of the time? Half the time?

Also, is the precreening done by CGC itself, or by the dealers who are submission partners? If it is indeed done by the dealers, who are the most accurate at the prescreen>

Thanks

Shep

Shep,

I haven't done it but, I think you're confused. Grab 50 books. Send them in for prescreening at 9.4. Pay the fee. If any are 9.4 or higher, they will be slabbed and returned upon payment of additional fee. If any are not 9.4 or higher, they will be returned raw. Rocket science? I don't think so . . . grin.gif

-d

As David said,

Only question I have Shep is, are the books pre or post 75?

Minumum is 50 for either. Set you accepted grade at 9.4, on pre 75 books, every book that does not meet the grade gets kicked back to you at a cost of $5 per reject.

On post 75, every reject costs you $3.00

As David said,

Only question I have Shep is, are the books pre or post 75?

Minumum is 50 for either. Set you accepted grade at 9.4, on pre 75 books, every book that does not meet the grade gets kicked back to you at a cost of $5 per reject.

On post 75, every reject costs you $3.00

Someone who doesn't have Strep right now (ME) call and verify what the minimum number of books are as 2 different people at WW Texas that had come out from FL from CGC told me it was 100 books.

Its 50, maybe they dont like you poke2.gif

As far as I know, it's 50.. It's all very unofficial anyway. You have to write "PRE-SCREEN 9.4" on the form by hand anyway since it's not listed as an option on the submittal forms.

(or you can just call Gemma after the fact but before they receive/start grading your books.)

What nik said. If you haven't sent in to CGC before, I recommend a small batch of a smathering of books to get a sense of their grading and not using prescreen. It will be cheaper for you long term, as you won't pay a fee for books that don't cut it as your grading improves to the "CGC method".

I told you of my experiences in the BA War thread...once you learn to grade the CGC way prescreens won't be needed (I see them used more for Moderns for 9.8s). It's been a hundred books or so since I've netted anything less than 9.4.

Killer info as usual gents. Thanks for all the comments.

Gee... sounds like I should just send them to you, Sterling, for a prescreen! grin.gif

I've got some time over the holidays, so I'm pulling out all Our Army at War books that are 9.4 contenders and giving them a full-on, under the microscope treatment. I'll likely post a few in the 'buddy can you spare a grade' thread

Thanks again for all your help guys,

Shep