• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STEVE DITKO YEARBOOK

8 posts in this topic

You can find pics, his whole bio, and lots of info on the brilliant but enigmatic Ditko on Blake Bell's site, Ditko Looked Up

http://www.ditko.comics.org/

This is very likely the real deal as Ditko did grow up in Johnstown, PA, born in 1927 so 1944 would put him in high school.

The guy sure knows how to hype an auction!! Not sure how many pictures of the young artist are in the yearbook, but it's kind of a cool item. I didn't see his name listed in the D's on the page they show, so I'd definitely get confirmation that he's in there before I'd bid....

I've seen one of the JHS yearbooks up for sale before with Ditko in it, so these occasionally come up.

Anyone else see this Steve Ditko Yearbook Auction ?

Is that really a young Steve Ditko? Never seen him nor do I think I've ever seen an actual photo of him. Interesting, anyone got any more info?

I remember a friend telling me that there was a photo of him at Marvel (a Marvel Bullpen pic?) in a group shot that wasn't very clear.

I've also heard the apocryphal story that he attended a convention in NYC one, and once only. We can only speculate as to what kind of experience he had there.

In fact I'm surprised we don't see signed runs of Spidey on ebay claiming to have been signed at that very con a la Bill Watterson grin.gif

An artist friend of mine from this side of the Pond met him a few years ago and said his studio is(was?) very easy to locate. (Whether he actually wants to talk to you might well be another matter though)

Joseph

you have to wonder if the guy is not mental or something. you never really hear older artist talk about the guy and i wonder if any of the old marvel bull pen. guys aka. romita. stan lee. sinnot. colan. and others still keep in touch with the guy. ? insane.gif

larry ;]

you have to wonder if the guy is not mental or something. you never really hear older artist talk about the guy and i wonder if any of the old marvel bull pen. guys aka. romita. stam lee. sinnot. colan. and others still keep in touch with the guy. ? insane.gif

larry ;]

The guy uses old ASM pages and covers as 'cutting boards' I heard once from a reputable dealer with whom he maintained contact. Tragic genius whack job, I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not sure I believe that story. First of all, he'd have to own the pages and covers, and I doubt that he ever did. Kirby didn't even have his own stuff from that time period. Why would Ditko? Don't believe everything you hear.

I'm not sure I believe that story. First of all, he'd have to own the pages and covers, and I doubt that he ever did. Kirby didn't even have his own stuff from that time period. Why would Ditko? Don't believe everything you hear.

I can't remember off hand who it was, but the person who reported the incident is an old hand in the industry which tends to lend the story credibility. And the incident in question took place on a relatively recent (ie last few years) visit to his studio. By that time Ditko would have received returns of his old art.

We, as collectors, may find his alleged behaviour shocking but it seems to be consistent with his lack of interest in material values and his belief that the original art is produced to tell a story and that is its sole purpose.

Joseph

cj2112. joe you right about him getting some of his art back, while we already know that a large amount of ditko and kirby art was ripped off, he did get a nice pile of art back as well as covers. as well all the work he did in the 80.s and early 90.s

does anyone know if the guy has family and do they feel the same way about his art as he does.

larry ;]