• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Share you unusual collecting habits

28 posts in this topic

As I go through my comics collection and read some of the intresting posts on this board I noticed that many here have some unusual collecting habits compared to the majority of collectors that I have run across in my 30 years in the hobby. I am curious to know what your unusual collecting habits are and how far along you are in acheiving your goals. (Somebody may even have something you need)

I have heard of all kinds of collections including monochrome covers, picture covers, golden-age robot stories, printing defects, double/triple covers, giant-size issues, Atlas war titles, price variants... the list is virtually endless.

I'll get the ball rolling.

One-Shot Publishers (non-underground)-currently missing Hi-Lite Comics #1

DC/Whitman variants-missing about a dozen or so issues

I have some common 30 cent Marvel variants but I am not trying to complete a set

I am also currently getting into collecting last issues of long running titles such as Adventure comics for example.

What do you collect?

Foreign Reprints (not Pence copies, but actual reprints in another language)

Chris

That so? I have a couple..."Projekt X" and "Rum-Guden THOR Klassiker". Not sure what anguage those are; Dutch, maybe?

They are Giant-Size special issues. F condition. Interested?

I collect comics that feature American Indian stereotype characters.

Hardly qualifies as "unusual," but I'm into WWII patriotic covers.

Slightly more unusual is a funny way I have of filling in runs that have not been reprinted, but leaving alone books whose main story/stories are available in reprints. Example: I just completed by Simon&Kirby run of Newsboy Legion. But that only means I finally got Star-Spangled Comics 15-29 (minus one from that run reprinted in a 100 Page Detective Comics). The others, Star-Spangled 7-14, have already been reprinted in Kirby's 1970s Jimmy Olsen series, so I'm quite happy not to chase them down.

insane.gif Odd, yes?

"Foreign Reprints (not Pence copies, but actual reprints in another language)"

Have you seen any of the Italian reprints. Crisis mini series, or X-Men, they're really nice books. Much better paper, and they combine sevral issues together.

I suppose it's unusual for me to own more Valiants

than all my Marvel and DC books combined.

And speaking of foreign books, I've got almost all the Italian Valiant prints, too.

Shipping them from Rome was crazy-expensive... but there they are. smile.gif

And...even though I agree that there's very little difference between

CGC 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0... I wouldn't be "Valiantman" if I didn't also own

the only two CGC 10.0 Valiant books graded so far.

And it's not as easy to get CGC 10 on Valiant as you might think,

738 Valiant's CGC graded ... but only two CGC 10.0's so far.

Have you seen any of the Italian reprints. Crisis mini series, or X-Men, they're really nice books. Much better paper, and they combine sevral issues together.

Like in France or Deutchland. Covers are generally glossy and paper is better. Sometimes we have very nice exclusive cover, specially done by great artist: Campbell, Dellotto, Jim Lee, Hitch...

I wouldn't be "Valiantman" if I didn't also own the only two CGC 10.0 Valiant books graded so far.

What with that and the foreign prints, I don't think anyone will doubt that you are truly worthy of the title 'Valiant Man'

(Arch...a custom title may be in order). grin.giftongue.gif

As I go through my comics collection and read some of the intresting posts on this board I noticed that many here have some unusual collecting habits compared to the majority of collectors that I have run across in my 30 years in the hobby. I am curious to know what your unusual collecting habits are and how far along you are in acheiving your goals. (Somebody may even have something you need)

I have heard of all kinds of collections including monochrome covers, picture covers, golden-age robot stories, printing defects, double/triple covers, giant-size issues, Atlas war titles, price variants... the list is virtually endless.

I have some common 30 cent Marvel variants but I am not trying to complete a set

I am also currently getting into collecting last issues of long running titles such as Adventure comics for example.

What do you collect?

30 cent variants

Fantastic Four 140-175 in 9.8

Crime Suspenstories

Shock Suspenstories

Bondage covers

Books released August 16, 1995 (my son's birthday)

What Whitmans do you need - I have tons of them and will trade what I have for the 30 cent variants you have.

I collected Marvel for almost 20 years, but sold the last Marvel book I owned a couple weeks ago. The current decline of Marvel (IMO, at least) lead me to DC where I'm now very happy. Apparently, my slight OCD insane.gif won't allow me to own back issues if I don't like any of the current stuff, as I lost interest in and sold off 12 boxes of Marvel books. It took forever for me to figure out what I wanted to collect because I kept trying to stay with Marvel, but I'd buy a Marvel book online and by the time I'd get it, I'd change my mind and sell it for something else. This went on for about a year and I had begun getting more and more interested in DC. I finally started buying Silver Age slabbed DC books. So until Jemas becomes the head of DC, I'm staying put. I wouldn't go back to Marvel at this point, even if they started telling true superhero stories again. Right now, I'm focusing mainly on Silver Age Flash stuff. It did take me a while to figure out what DC stuff I wanted to collect. I had to take all the new info into consideration when picking my favorites (my collecting habits are based on the characters, not writers, artists, etc).

I collected Marvel for almost 20 years, but sold the last Marvel book I owned a couple weeks ago.

Right now, I'm focusing mainly on Silver Age Flash stuff. It did take me a while to figure out what DC stuff I wanted to collect. I had to take all the new info into consideration when picking my favorites (my collecting habits are based on the characters, not writers, artists, etc).

Wow-- interesting choice! You may be on to something though. As a reader/collector, I always thought Flash was an inferior DC Silver Age compared to the space opera and rich back-story of titles like Green Lantern or Hawkman, or the team-up thrills of JLA. Loved the occasional Infantino/Anderson art, but most of the Infantino/Giella work didn't do it for me.

But, in the CGC age, where the cover is king, you have those beautiful Infantino designed covers, often inked by Anderson, and frequently including Infantino's great costume designs for the Rogues. cloud9.gif

Best of luck!

Z.

Yeah, I think those early Flash covers are stunning. I liked how Infantino always let you see the city on the horizon in the background. As far as the stories, I've read more of the Green Lantern books than the Flash ones but I still like the Flash stories better. They were very simple stories not that the GL ones were complex (they always ended with Hal wondering how he'd get a date with Carol). Keep in mind, 1965 is about my cutoff on the Flash, much earlier on the other stuff. I especially like this period of American history (1950's primarily) which will be focused on in Darwyn Cooke's upcoming "New Frontier". Are you going to check that out? I think if the GL stories followed more of what he has planned for the series, I would've gravitated toward those books more.

I knew a guy that collected yellow color comics, books that had mostly yellow backgrounds. We haven't seen each other in a long time, but I remember he had some pretty decent looking old comics. Some key issues an all. You wouldn't believe how many yellow comics were out there until you seen his collection. He never collected straight runs, only comics that were mostly yellow.

As far as myself, I buy any comic that has a team-up or guest appearance of another character.

Yeah, I think those early Flash covers are stunning. I liked how Infantino always let you see the city on the horizon in the background.

Just for grins, here are a few of my faves:

1428_2_125.jpg1428_2_130.jpg1428_2_135.jpg1428_2_137.jpg1428_2_153.jpg1428_2_174.jpg

Cheers,

Z.

What do you collect?

30 cent variants

Crime Suspenstories

Shock Suspenstories

Bondage covers

What Whitmans do you need - I have tons of them and will trade what I have for the 30 cent variants you have.

Thanks for the offer FD but I think I will hang on to them for now... I don't think you would want these anyway since they are pretty beat up. I think I only have a Cap 198, Iron Man 87? and a Defenders issue-the best being a G+. I am only now getting back into finishing my Whitman variants but I don't forsee having any problems finishing up if my list on this thread is correct . DC/Whitman Variant list

Do you know if anyone is trying to put together a 35 cent variant set? I tend to doubt this would be possible but I was just curious.

What do you collect?

30 cent variants

Crime Suspenstories

Shock Suspenstories

Bondage covers

Thanks for the offer FD but I think I will hang on to them for now... I don't think you would want these anyway since they are pretty beat up. I think I only have a Cap 198, Iron Man 87? and a Defenders issue-the best being a G+. I am only now getting back into finishing my Whitman variants but I don't forsee having any problems finishing up if my list on this thread is correct . DC/Whitman Variant list

Do you know if anyone is trying to put together a 35 cent variant set? I tend to doubt this would be possible but I was just curious.

Lighthouse is, and there are a couple of deeeeeeeep pocket buyers on eBay who are also trying to.