• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please share your opinion...I am considering a focus on pre-Robin Tecs !

96 posts in this topic

will take you years (if not a lifetime) to complete, especially if you want the books to be in decent unrestored condition

Translation, because Peter's too nice to say this:

if you want some of the very best copies of these issues, you will have to pry them from my cold dead hands. poke2.gif

and considering that most, if not all are trading at 2-6 X guide already in most any condition, I think there is sufficient evidence to point to more demand than current supply.

This could be the topic of a new, highly active thread in and of itself, but I must ask this question which I have asked many times before.......

since these comics consistanly sell for 2-6 times guide, why do you think the OPG doesn't raise the guide prices 200%+ to reflect more accurate current values? It's not like the sales are a secret, and the info isn't available.......

and considering that most, if not all are trading at 2-6 X guide already in most any condition, I think there is sufficient evidence to point to more demand than current supply.

This could be the topic of a new, highly active thread in and of itself, but I must ask this question which I have asked many times before.......

since these comics consistanly sell for 2-6 times guide, why do you think the OPG doesn't raise the guide prices 200%+ to reflect more accurate current values? It's not like the sales are a secret, and the info isn't available.......

The issue has been discussed on these boards many times before.

But if you think that no multiple would be charged anymore once the Guide was raised 200%, you're sadly mistaken. You'd just end up paying 2-6X Guide off a higher Guide price. Alternatively, if the Guide were ever raised enough that no multiples were paid, then everyone would consider the books to be "dead" or "cold" and people would lose interest in them and dealers wouldn't be so interested in finding them because they couldn't charge a premium for them.

The issue has been discussed on these boards many times before.

But if you think that no multiple would be charged anymore once the Guide was raised 200%, you're sadly mistaken. You'd just end up paying 2-6X Guide off a higher Guide price. Alternatively, if the Guide were ever raised enough that no multiples were paid, then everyone would consider the books to be "dead" or "cold" and people would lose interest in them and dealers wouldn't be so interested in finding them because they couldn't charge a premium for them.

I have only been on the Boards for about 6 months, and haven't had the joy of being active on a thread about OPG pricing yet....I'll bet that's always a lively one!

I do see your good points here.....it would probably upset many apple carts if in a single year there was an across the board adjustment to popular books like early Tecs in the OPG to represent current auction/sale values in the appropriate grade. It's much more exciting when a book sells for 4 times guide, than "at guide". Nothing would be hot then...everything would be just luke warm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok GA experts....I am at a threshold with my new, increased focus on GA collecting. I find myself drawn to pre-Robin Tecs, and always look long term with my collecting focus. How strong do you predict the market to be over the next 20 years for pre-Robin Tecs? I may not respond, but will certainly listen to each and every response.

Thank you for your input. thumbsup2.gif

P.S. I am still collecting Platinum Age books.....just broadening my collecting focus

Pre-Robin Tec ??? why would make you want to collect those ?? Me no think they will hold value in long term, NOBODY even looking at these books, they are plentiful, Me see them at LCS for crying out loud, sitting in 25 cent bin..

if you want book with "growth" potential, you should not buy BA Green Lanterns #76 in 9.0 or higher,... insane.gif

.............................uh, sorry guys, Bizzaro came over and was using my keyboard whilst I was in the restroom,.. blush.gif

Pre-Robin Tecs.. heck yeah,.. you can't go wrong with any of those issues,..

I'm with Nearmint, collect what you like or think is cool, and chances are that there will be many others who think the same way about your books if ever you need to sell them,..In my opinion certain GA titles will always be in demand,..Tecs, Actions, Bats, Supes, More Fun, Adventure, and the big Timely titles.

If I wasn't currently collecting Actions/Supermans, I'd be collecting Tecs' and would pray to be so lucky as to get any Pre-Robin issue.

thumbsup2.gif

[

it would probably upset many apple carts if in a single year there was an across the board adjustment to popular books like early Tecs in the OPG to represent current auction/sale values in the appropriate grade. It's much more exciting when a book sells for 4 times guide, than "at guide". Nothing would be hot then...everything would be just luke warm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But when a guide flagrantly ignores price increases for years on end, refusing not only to riase them 200-600% but refusing to raise them ten or twenty percent -- in some cases refusing to raise them even two percent... then the guide is at serious risk of permanently losing credibility.

Go for it & post a group shot when you get them together! Personally, I love the pre-hero issues of Adventure & Detective, as well as the non-Superman Action covers. I'd love to put together an Adventure set myself, but simply don't have the funds for a quality set. I've only got one pre-Sandman Adventure & I can't see me getting many more any time soon.

Everyone seems to be going after pre-Robin Tecs. Prices are just too krazy for me.

The quantity of early Tecs for sale isn't very large and the increased interest by a few collectors is currently pushing price a bit. The books are now generally priced out of my range. I am moving moving on and now looking for other titles that I believe are priced a bit more attractively.

The main drawback to the title is that the chances of DC making a movie starring

Slam Bradley is remote. grin.gif

I'm new to GA as well. My initial thoughts, if you take out Batman from the TECs, is that the Adventure and New Adventure covers give the early TECs a run for "cool".

SHHHHHH!!!!!!! What are you, crazy? Wait until I'm done, jeez......

Question - (and I'll admit this should perhaps be in marketplace but since we're talking about tecs..) there's a 50/50 chance I might get an unrestored cgc 1.5 Tec 38. Opinions on value? GPA shows two sales a few years ago (one at 2200 or so, one at 2900 or so), although that was three years ago and before the increased interest in these early tecs. If I do trade for it I will likely make it available on the boards.

I'm new to GA as well. My initial thoughts, if you take out Batman from the TECs, is that the Adventure and New Adventure covers give the early TECs a run for "cool".

(I'll have a more informed opinion next week when I open up and study my Gerber guides sitting under the tree right now.)

What a fun day that will be! Enjoy them! But use with caution, they have a way of making your want list grow and grow...

grin.gif

Everyone seems to be going after pre-Robin Tecs. Prices are just too krazy for me.

As cool as they are, I've found I like the later comics with Joker appearances much better.

hello all..

that is what I am going after now...penquin, joker, two face and catwoman covers!

out of my way, people! smile.gif

rick

Question - (and I'll admit this should perhaps be in marketplace but since we're talking about tecs..) there's a 50/50 chance I might get an unrestored cgc 1.5 Tec 38. Opinions on value? GPA shows two sales a few years ago (one at 2200 or so, one at 2900 or so), although that was three years ago and before the increased interest in these early tecs. If I do trade for it I will likely make it available on the boards.

hello all...

I would likely pay $3K-$3500 for a 1.5 if it looked nice (like spine splits or damage to back cover)

rick

893scratchchin-thumb.gifm I think I will pm you before long. 3 to 3.5k is the range I was looking at needing to sell in order to make this trade work. So this might entirely be feasible... I'll be in touch if you're interested and try and get some pics before too long as well.

Ahh I love all the pre-robn tec books. Still trying to complete it, but it would take me time, patience, and most important, MONEY!?!?! I can't believe how much of a price change for these early books have changed in recent years. I believe with its current state and the increase of collectors, Tec books will certainly rise and will continue to be that way. And with the help of DC movies and all the merchandising can only add to this lift. I think the pre-robin tec covers are the coolest covers out of all the covers I've seen (I'm sure some of you disagree). Ive always loved Batman and how he is "dark, mysterious, and a having tragic past" can only add to this interest of mine.

As cool as they are, I've found I like the later comics with Joker appearances much better.

hello all..

that is what I am going after now...penquin, joker, two face and catwoman covers!

out of my way, people! smile.gif

rick

Uh oh! 893whatthe.gif After about 3 years of collecting GA, and purposfullly staying away from mainstream superhero titles due to budget concerns, I've recently decided I'm going to take the plunge in the new year. Those are exactly the books that I plan to go after first (though not necessarily in that order - Catwoman first, Penguin last for me). Fortunately, I suspect the copies I'll be targeting will be much lower grade than the ones in your sights, so I doubt they'll be any conflict. smile.gif