• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please share your opinion...I am considering a focus on pre-Robin Tecs !

96 posts in this topic

Sigh, this brings memories of bidding on one of the San Francisco pedigree books, when they first came out on ebay. It was Batman 62 in CGC 9.6 Catwoman cover and I threw in a $2200 bid on lark. It was 2001 I believe. I was nervous since I was the high bidder all the way and it wasn't the level of book I usually buy but I had extra money at the time (pre stock market crash). Got sniped at the end for $50 (though I bet the end bid was much higher)

Still what a snazzy book that would have been. Ah well, I probably would have sold it a year later anyway.

Ed

Sigh, this brings memories of bidding on one of the San Francisco pedigree books, when they first came out on ebay. It was Batman 62 in CGC 9.6 Catwoman cover and I threw in a $2200 bid on lark. It was 2001 I believe. I was nervous since I was the high bidder all the way and it wasn't the level of book I usually buy but I had extra money at the time (pre stock market crash). Got sniped at the end for $50 (though I bet the end bid was much higher)

Still what a snazzy book that would have been. Ah well, I probably would have sold it a year later anyway.

Ed

It must have been some other pedigree as there is no San Francisco pedigree on Batman #62

West

Ok GA experts....I am at a threshold with my new, increased focus on GA collecting. I find myself drawn to pre-Robin Tecs, and always look long term with my collecting focus. How strong do you predict the market to be over the next 20 years for pre-Robin Tecs? I may not respond, but will certainly listen to each and every response.

Thank you for your input. thumbsup2.gif

P.S. I am still collecting Platinum Age books.....just broadening my collecting focus

I think you already know the answers to your questions...sounds like a great quest. The books will always have historical importance and be in demand. Funds permitting, I'm sure just about anyone here would be thrilled to own some of the early Tecs. Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

If pre-Robin Tecs were broken down into the 2 following groups, what would be the demand, scarcity, and general pricing differences (aside from #1 and #27) between the 2...assuming all books were VG/F unrestored.

group #1: issues 1 -26

group #2: issues 27-37

If pre-Robin Tecs were broken down into the 2 following groups, what would be the demand, scarcity, and general pricing differences (aside from #1 and #27) between the 2...assuming all books were VG/F unrestored.

I'm working on a speadsheet that'll tell you just that, but I'm afraid it'll have to wait until after New Year's (silly family priorities). I'll bump this thread then and post the info.

OK, it was the 9.4 copy, and I am sure it was a pedigree just not sure which one.

Palo Alto and, if memory serves, bought by Rotor.

I'm working on a speadsheet that'll tell you just that, but I'm afraid it'll have to wait until after New Year's (silly family priorities). I'll bump this thread then and post the info.

Thanks CentaurMan......that would be great. Does anyone else have some opinions / experiences they could share on this?

I will be interested to see Centaurman's analysis, but in my experience, the pre-hero Detectives (1-26) are far more rare than the pre-Robin Detectives with Batman (27-37). This is likely due, in part, to a couple of factors: (1) Once the title began selling more issues because of the appearance of Batman, more issues were produced; and (2) in the old days, people didn't hang onto the pre-hero books because they were perceived as less valuable and less collectible than the hero books.

I will be interested to see Centaurman's analysis, but in my experience, the pre-hero Detectives (1-26) are far more rare than the pre-Robin Detectives with Batman (27-37). This is likely due, in part, to a couple of factors: (1) Once the title began selling more issues because of the appearance of Batman, more issues were produced; and (2) in the old days, people didn't hang onto the pre-hero books because they were perceived as less valuable and less collectible than the hero books.

I would not doubt they are more rare, because they were considered less desirable even before people collected comics or thought they were valuable. Thatt occured when the characters created in them became cultural icons.

It shoudl be presumed, I think, that people are just as inclined today -- if not actually much more inclined -- to think that batman tecs are more desirable today. For every person who's even aware of the per-hero books, let alone interested, there are many hundreds of thousands, if not even millions, of people who know about the (post) hero books.

Even after I was made aware ot the books, I thought of them not just as pre-hero but pre-collectible. Of course if you're going for completion that's anoither matter. But when I see people favoring the pre-heros over the post-heros -- and paying the same money if not more to get them -- I feel my old friend perspective has been left behind.

I thought of them not just as pre-hero but pre-collectible

There are those whose love of comics goes beyond those of super-heros currently in the public eye. While not a large community, it has been one of sophistication and money that is looking beyond the more common and easily understood comics.

I own no pre-hero Tecs, nor any pre-Robin Tecs for that matter, but I understand the appeal of both. Popularity among the public is fickle. Buy what you like and can afford -- then you'll win whether there is any economic ROI or not.

hello all...

I too would love to see Win's SS....until then, this is what I have discovered unrestored g/vg to vg/fn's can be had for (if of course, you can find them for sale)

1-good luck in unrestored vg/fn smile.gif

2-$10-12kish (again, if you could find...I know of a fr/gd, I believe, that was $4k)

3-$8k'sh

4-8...$3K to $5K ave

9-15...$2K average

17-26..$1500 to $2000 average...

everything above 4 is relatively "easy" to obtain, if you are patient (I have seen multiple copies for sale this year, some/most available now on metro and clink)...

27-$100K +

28-for a vg/fn I would pay upwards of $10K, but I have not found one

29-$15K + is what one is currently being asked for, but I won't venture past $13K for one (I am sure patience will pay off on this one)

30-$4K+

31-$13500+ (last sale for a 5.0 I am aware of)

32...$2500ish

33...$10K ish

34...$2500 ish

35...$12-15K (just got a 5.0 for $12200, but was willing to pay $15K if I had to of)

36-$3-4K+ (have not found one yet)

37-$2500ish

rick

hello all...

I too would love to see Win's SS....until then, this is what I have discovered unrestored g/vg to vg/fn's can be had for (if of course, you can find them for sale)

1-good luck in unrestored vg/fn smile.gif

2-$10-12kish (again, if you could find...I know of a fr/gd, I believe, that was $4k)

3-$8k'sh

4-8...$3K to $5K ave

9-15...$2K average

17-26..$1500 to $2000 average...

everything above 4 is relatively "easy" to obtain, if you are patient (I have seen multiple copies for sale this year, some/most available now on metro and clink)...

27-$100K +

29-$15K + is what one is currently being asked for, but I won't venture past $13K for one (I am sure patience will pay off on this one)

30-$4K+

32...$2500ish

33...$10K ish

34...$2500 ish

35...$12-15K (just got a 5.0 for $12200, but was willing to pay $15K if I had to of)

36-$3-4K+ (have not found one yet)

37-$2500ish

rick

Hey Rick................. acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Pre-hero Tecs are cool, but IMO an iffy place to sink the 30-50K it will take to acquire a run. Of course collecting comics is more than the dollars involved, but I assume that 50K is quite a lot even if its funny money. These books are too esoteric and will always have a very small pool of admirers willing to pony up for them.

Pre Robin Tecs have far greater appeal and collectibility. There are fewer Pre-Robins than Pre-Bats which makes the goal easier to attain; and of course, all have Batman stories! His first handful of stories too.

But best of all, are the Pre-Robin keys: 27, 29, 31, 33, 35 and 38. To just get these 6 is quite enough to sleep witha smile on your face for a job well done.

So IMO, Id go for the keys , then the rest of the Pre-Robins, and finally, if you must or still hear rhe siren call, go for the 26 oddball but very cool pre-cursers to Batman in Detetive Comics. My point is, how many of us can afford to be completists nowadays? And is it a worthwhile endeavor?

Curious as to why 35 is so hot, I know its been discussed a bit but to put that issue in the same breath as 29 31 or 33 is a little much. Is it really that much more rare? Its not like it can beat 31 as a classic cover or 29 as the 2nd cover/3rd app or 33 as the origin. Granted 31 and 33 show up as restored issue all the time but if unrestored I can't imagine it being even close.

Ed

well, while 35 seems to have shown up a lot lately, its still considered very tough in HG. And, the cover is so startling with Batman and a large hypodermic . Just a cool book. But I agree with you that compared to 29 and 31s covers its more shocking than classic. And 27 and 38 have major first appearances so they rank higher as well. 33 is the origin and also ransk above 35. IMO the real "losers" are 32, 34, 36, and 37. I could make the case that one neednt bother with them for the same reasons I stated earlier: being a completist is perhaps overrrated in todays market. Or passe given the high cost of livin.

33...$10K ish

Rick;

Noticed that your market value for issue #28 appears to be pretty agressive. Starting to approach some of the early key Bat cover issues as listed. 893whatthe.gif

Any reason for this strong price or is it due simply to an extremely tough to find second appearance issue of Batman? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pre-hero Tecs are cool, but IMO an iffy place to sink the 30-50K it will take to acquire a run. These books are too esoteric and will always have a very small pool of admirers willing to pony up for them.

......and this hits the nail on the head for me my good man Aman thumbsup2.gif. The reason I am branching out to focus more on GA books, is because of the "too esoteric" factor associated with Platinum Age books that I already have a heavy concentration of presently. I don't want to end up with an entire collection that took many years and MANY tens of thousands of $$ to acquire whether it's Platinum Age or Golden Age or Any Age that is desirable by only 12 other people on the planet, and I have to go find them.

The pre-hero books have the rarity and classic covers I'm looking for.....but I don't want to be one of a few looking for them. Thinking long term, I am always conscious of the fact that what I like now, I may not like in the future. What I want to keep now, I may want to sell in the future. The last thing I need is to spend $7,000 on a book in 2006, and in 2020 it takes me 3 months to find a buyer for it at $4,000. I've done very well so far with this not happening with my Platinum Age books, but that is due to experience. I don't have that same experience or confidence with the pre-Robin Tecs that I find so appealing, hence this thread.

In my situation ( quite a bit of focus on esoteric already ), it sounds like the pre-hero books could be a little risky for me....although extremely appealing. Some Superhero Tecs ( 27-37) may be just what I need to add some "mainstream, everyone wants 'em" balance to my already "wow, I've never seen that book in person before" collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pre-hero Tecs are cool, but IMO an iffy place to sink the 30-50K it will take to acquire a run. Of course collecting comics is more than the dollars involved, but I assume that 50K is quite a lot even if its funny money. These books are too esoteric and will always have a very small pool of admirers willing to pony up for them.

Pre Robin Tecs have far greater appeal and collectibility. There are fewer Pre-Robins than Pre-Bats which makes the goal easier to attain; and of course, all have Batman stories! His first handful of stories too.

But best of all, are the Pre-Robin keys: 27, 29, 31, 33, 35 and 38. To just get these 6 is quite enough to sleep witha smile on your face for a job well done.

So IMO, Id go for the keys , then the rest of the Pre-Robins, and finally, if you must or still hear rhe siren call, go for the 26 oddball but very cool pre-cursers to Batman in Detetive Comics. My point is, how many of us can afford to be completists nowadays? And is it a worthwhile endeavor?

I agree with most of what you assert here Aman. I would add this:

As far as pre-hero DC comics as a whole, in my experience, Detectives have performed better than More Funs, and much better than Adventures. I think they are still a decent investment and see more people buying them than in years past.

Clearly though you are 100% correct that the safest way to go is:

27,29,31,33,35 and 38.

Ironically that is the way they fall for me in order of desireability as well. But that is just me. 37 and then 36 would fall in last in my line of wants for the Bat covers.

I'll probably go for the non-Bat covers as well, because I am such a completist.

Pre-hero Tecs are cool, but IMO an iffy place to sink the 30-50K it will take to acquire a run. These books are too esoteric and will always have a very small pool of admirers willing to pony up for them.

......and this hits the nail on the head for me my good man Aman thumbsup2.gif. The reason I am branching out to focus more on GA books, is because of the "too esoteric" factor associated with Platinum Age books that I already have a heavy concentration of presently. I don't want to end up with an entire collection that took many years and MANY tens of thousands of $$ to acquire whether it's Platinum Age or Golden Age or Any Age that is desirable by only 12 other people on the planet, and I have to go find them.

The pre-hero books have the rarity and classic covers I'm looking for.....but I don't want to be one of a few looking for them. Thinking long term, I am always conscious of the fact that what I like now, I may not like in the future. What I want to keep now, I may want to sell in the future. The last thing I need is to spend $7,000 on a book in 2006, and in 2020 it takes me 3 months to find a buyer for it at $4,000. I've done very well so far with this not happening with my Platinum Age books, but that is due to experience. I don't have that same experience or confidence with the pre-Robin Tecs that I find so appealing, hence this thread.

In my situation ( quite a bit of focus on esoteric already ), it sounds like the pre-hero books could be a little risky for me....although extremely appealing. Some Superhero Tecs ( 27-37) may be just what I need to add some "mainstream, everyone wants 'em" balance to my already "wow, I've never seen that book in person before" collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My opinion, you analysis is spot on. 27-37 I think are books that will always be desirable. Even paying agressive prices today can pay off big later. I still think there is upside potential which is unfortunite since I don't own any of these books anymore ... Also, the pre-Robin Batman Detectives are much harder to find than any of the older Batmans.