• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please share your opinion...I am considering a focus on pre-Robin Tecs !

96 posts in this topic

In my situation ( quite a bit of focus on esoteric already ), it sounds like the pre-hero books could be a little risky for me....although extremely appealing. Some Superhero Tecs ( 27-37) may be just what I need to add some "mainstream, everyone wants 'em" balance to my already "wow, I've never seen that book in person before" collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Showcase;

Definitely sounds like a good strategy from both an investment and collecting point of view. Aman's list of keys to get first also sounds dead on, with issue #28 being the first non-Bat cover to go after. thumbsup2.gif

The only thing I would add is that I would probably expand this run a little bit to say from issue #27 through to #40, but nothing else after that. For sure, I would most defintely include issue #38 in there even though I can't stand that little twerpy bird.

28-for a vg/fn I would pay upwards of $10K, but I have not found one

29-$15K + is what one is currently being asked for, but I won't venture past $13K for one (I am sure patience will pay off on this one)

31-$13500+ (last sale for a 5.0 I am aware of)

33...$10K ish

35...$12-15K (just got a 5.0 for $12200, but was willing to pay $15K if I had to of)

Rick;

Noticed that your market value for issue #28 appears to be pretty agressive. Starting to approach some of the early key Bat cover issues as listed. 893whatthe.gif

Any reason for this strong price or is it due simply to an extremely tough to find second appearance issue of Batman? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hello all...

yes, quite honestly, it is scarcity (and especially scarce unrestored, do a history search on heritage, ask metro how many unrestored ones they have had this year, or clink, etc)...this year I Have only seen 2 restored copies for sale, period.. ...no unrestored, in over a year (there is one ebay seller about 50 miles from me that keeps listing an action 2 and tec 28, but in low low grade, and at 4x guide, so I did not count that one, but if he listed the tec 28 seperately, I might just bite...I have asked him several times, but he is reluctant to break the pair up, even though I believe they will sell for far more singley)....so, I figured that increasing my "offer" price (I don't care what "guide" says, find me one at guide, and I will buy all day long), might bring out some copies, but not yet...don;t get me wrong, I am just as happy with my VF restored copy, but if a nice looking vg/fn came along, I would happily pay 2x guide (or more, if it warranted it)...I mean, look at tec 35 (someone else inquired)....for a year, none were really on the market, outside of a few restored ones... I think once the book starting getting 4-6 x guide, look how "many" (if you call 4-5 ..."many") unrestored copies have now come to market (the highest of which is a 5.5)....still, demand exceeds supply, so price will fall or rise where basic economic laws dictate.. as a contrast,now, I won't pay over "guide" for a tec 38 unrestored, cuz let's be honest, they are "Everywhere" (I think I Have seen close to 50 copies for sale this year...about 1/2 restored, about 1/2 unrestored, but typially lower grade)...

rick

In my situation ( quite a bit of focus on esoteric already ), it sounds like the pre-hero books could be a little risky for me....although extremely appealing. Some Superhero Tecs ( 27-37) may be just what I need to add some "mainstream, everyone wants 'em" balance to my already "wow, I've never seen that book in person before" collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's good news Steve. I don't need any more competition during my glacial trek to complete the pre-hero Detective run in unrestored high grade. thumbsup2.gif

That's good news Steve. I don't need any more competition during my glacial trek to complete the pre-hero Detective run in unrestored high grade. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif I was thinking you'd be breathing a sigh of relief!

Aman's list of keys to get first also sounds dead on, with issue #28 being the first non-Bat cover to go after. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Lou...funny you should point out this particular book. My main "inspiration", as I've been seeking a niche within the GA market ( I have falied at becoming a billionaire, so I can't collect everything tongue.gif), is Tec 28.

The Geppi Museum has a mian case that houses an Action 1, Tec 27, Adventure 40, More fun 52, All American 16 etc etc....all high grade, to die for copies. As great as the keys are in this case, the Detective 28 ( next to the NM Tec 27) is the single most gorgeous book I have ever seen in my 14 years of collecting. All books in this case are raw, so I can't tell if there has been any restoration, but I sure couldn't detect any from 6 inches away.This Tec 28 was literally a 9.6.....I dare say 9.8. hail.gif

It was a turning point for me, as when I saw that Detective Comics logo, the cover art, the staples placement, the thickness of the issue, the 10 cent price logo, and the mention of "The Batman".....everything fell into place.....my search was over. cloud9.gif This would be my GA calling. Perhaps some of you have had a similar moving experience?

Aman's list of keys to get first also sounds dead on, with issue #28 being the first non-Bat cover to go after. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Lou...funny you should point out this particular book. My main "inspiration", as I've been seeking a niche within the GA market ( I have falied at becoming a billionaire, so I can't collect everything tongue.gif), is Tec 28.

The Geppi Museum has a mian case that houses an Action 1, Tec 27, Adventure 40, More fun 52, All American 16 etc etc....all high grade, to die for copies. As great as the keys are in this case, the Detective 28 ( next to the NM Tec 27) is the single most gorgeous book I have ever seen in my 14 years of collecting. All books in this case are raw, so I can't tell if there has been any restoration, but I sure couldn't detect any from 6 inches away.This Tec 28 was literally a 9.6.....I dare say 9.8. hail.gif

It was a turning point for me, as when I saw that Detective Comics logo, the cover art, the staples placement, the thickness of the issue, the 10 cent price logo, and the mention of "The Batman".....everything fell into place.....my search was over. cloud9.gif This would be my GA calling. Perhaps some of you have had a similar moving experience?

I believe it was mentioned that nearly all the big books Geppi had for the museum were restored.

Beautiful summation of why I love Golden Age Comics.

So Rick are you going to look at other items as well like the Joker, Two face stuff ect... as you think some of those will be on your hit list next. Thoughts?

hello all....

yes, I have compiled a ss (spreadsheet) list of tec covers/character appearances I would like to add to my collection...including, but not limited to:

58,62,66,67,68,69,71,73,85,91,99,102,109,114,118,122,124,126,128,137,140,142,149,168,171,180,187,190,193,203,211,225

will pick them up as I see them, I am in no hurry smile.gif

board member CGCMINT has already sold me a 80 and 120, and I picked a 76 from heritage, so those are off the list...

if anyone has any for sale, feel free to pm me

rick

Yes. The first time I saw a scan of RHG's Church copy of New Adventure #26 was what piqued my interest in early GA, and the first time I saw the Church copy of Detective Comics #18 in a Sotheby's catalog was when I decided that I would collect pre-Batman Detective Comics.

I won't pay over "guide" for a tec 38 unrestored, cuz let's be honest, they are "Everywhere" (I think I Have seen close to 50 copies for sale this year...about 1/2 restored, about 1/2 unrestored, but typially lower grade)...

rick

Why? Did tec 38 start a wide scale interest for collectors so there are more around, or was there an increase in the number of copies printed starting with issue 38....or both?

Ok GA experts....I am at a threshold with my new, increased focus on GA collecting. I find myself drawn to pre-Robin Tecs, and always look long term with my collecting focus. How strong do you predict the market to be over the next 20 years for pre-Robin Tecs? I may not respond, but will certainly listen to each and every response.

Thank you for your input. thumbsup2.gif

P.S. I am still collecting Platinum Age books.....just broadening my collecting focus

Showcase-4;

Since you was looking at broadening your collecting focus, I just remember another thread that we had going here last year.

We was comparing the 'Tec 27-40 run with the Action 1-15 run and trying to determine which would be the more desireable run. Although I personally prefer the 'Tec run myself, if I remembered correctly, it was pretty well a 50/50 split between the two.

I also notice that OS seems to go into a lot more details on the 'Tec run as compared to the Action run. For example, OS mentions the words "classic" or "1st" only 3 times in the Action 1-15 run and yet a whooping 26 times in the 'Tec 27-40 run. 893whatthe.gif

Also of interest to note is that the Action 1-15 run has a total OS value of $855,500 for an average price of just over $57K per book. The 'Tec 27-40 run has a total OS value of $823,000 for an average price of almost $58.8K per book. Not much to choose from between the two runs from a price guide point of view.

Any thoughts to picking up the Action run or are you pretty well set on the pre-Robin 'Tec run at this point in the game? Or the other option is to consider picking up both runs if you are really greedy. tongue.gif

Any thoughts to picking up the Action run or are you pretty well set on the pre-Robin 'Tec run at this point in the game? Or the other option is to consider picking up both runs if you are really greedy. tongue.gif

Thanks for the above info. Lou thumbsup2.gif. I am set on exclusively focusing on pre-Robin Batman Tecs. For whatever reason, I do not excited when I see early Superman covers, but there is something about those early Bat covers that really does it for me. I just bought my 1st pre-Robin Tec this week.....very excited about receiving it ( have to send payment 1st...that always help tongue.gif)

I have always liked Batman, and have only been luke warm on Superman, so I am "collecting what I like"....nothing against the early Actions.

Thanks for the above info. Lou thumbsup2.gif. I am set on exclusively focusing on pre-Robin Batman Tecs. For whatever reason, I do not excited when I see early Superman covers, but there is something about those early Bat covers that really does it for me. I just bought my 1st pre-Robin Tec this week.....very excited about receiving it ( have to send payment 1st...that always help tongue.gif)

I have always liked Batman, and have only been luke warm on Superman, so I am "collecting what I like"....nothing against the early Actions.

Dish! Which one did you get???

I just bought my 1st pre-Robin Tec this week.....very excited about receiving it ( have to send payment 1st...that always help tongue.gif)

I just bought my 1st pre-Robin Tec this week.....very excited about receiving it ( have to send payment 1st...that always help tongue.gif)

Copycat!

Great book though! Can't wait to see it. I've locked down a few more this week. Hopefully they will arrive next week.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That one is my favorite all time Batman cover. I'm so jealous.

Copycat!

Great book though! Can't wait to see it. I've locked down a few more this week. Hopefully they will arrive next week.

Yoo-hoo, Ciorac........

don't you have some Tec pics to post for us?...it's been a few weeks gossip.gif

Copycat!

Yoo-hoo, Ciorac........

don't you have some Tec pics to post for us?...it's been a few weeks gossip.gif

You've been snoozing, they are posted in the Detective Comics thread and in the Have a Cigar thread...