• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men 423, Avengers 77 (492) price variant

18 posts in this topic

A little help on the newstand price variants?

The X-Men #423 newstand edition with the discount price was recently noted as an error or variant:

6652b74a.jpg

What about the newstand version of Avengers #77 that has the 50-cent discount price logo (couldn't find a scan but I've seen it -- here's the direct edition), is that also a variant/error or are all the newstand copies printed with the discount price?

71_1.JPG

Sorry, didn't want to take it out of the bag when I scanned it:

av77variant.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

OK, so is this the variant because it is a newstand copy without the 50-cent logo? I now have in my possession a copy of Avengers #77 newstand that has the 50-cent logo! Which is normal, which is the error? confused.gifconfused.gif

What the hell is this "77 (492)" stuff? (I think I might shy.gif know.)

Sincere question. I haven't bought any moderns in about 5 years.

That was the whole Marvel renumbering thing. Tried to relaunch titles with #1 issues, then after a couple years phased that out and went back to each title's original numbering... the transition issues had both numbers on the cover.

av77variant.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

OK, so is this the variant because it is a newstand copy without the 50-cent logo? I now have in my possession a copy of Avengers #77 newstand that has the 50-cent logo! Which is normal, which is the error? confused.gifconfused.gif

The 50-cent logo cover is the normal cover for both the Direct and Newsstand editions. Without is the variant.

What the hell is this "77 (492)" stuff? (I think I might shy.gif know.)

Sincere question. I haven't bought any moderns in about 5 years.

That was the whole Marvel renumbering thing. Tried to relaunch titles with #1 issues, then after a couple years phased that out and went back to each title's original numbering... the transition issues had both numbers on the cover.

Ah, thanks. I was right.

thumbsup2.gif

The 50-cent logo cover is the normal cover for both the Direct and Newsstand editions. Without is the variant.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the tip, didn't know STL had that page. That helps a lot. There's the direct market copy with the 50-cent logo, a newstand copy that is a price variant, and a newstand copy with the 50-cent logo that is called an error cover!

Their image shows the same issue I have:

avengers77.2.jpg

According to that info, the newstand issue with the $2.99 UPC and without the 50-cent logo is called a price variant.

The image shown with both the 50-cent logo and the newstand UPC with the $2.99 cover price is called an error cover. So apparently I have the error cover,

Well, in this day and age, what one calls a variant is subjective. But I think Harry does do a good job of laying out his case. One of the things I like over at STL is the galleries, especially on the variant side. Makes tracking things down like this easy. Plus some good peps over there as well.

53 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Nearly 12 year old thread, risen from the dead.  :whatthe:

It's getting weirder and weirder to see these old threads.

Like watching home movies on a VCR, but you don't own a VCR....