• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best GA Purchase for 2006

236 posts in this topic

Very tough for me to answer this one. It's been a great year for books I collect cloud9.gif The competition has to include Millie #2 CGC 8.0 (Crippen), Patsy #1 CGC 8.0 (Crippen), Dizzy Dames #1 (Church) and several HG issues of Jackpot. But, I think this is the one that best fits the bill: CGC 8.0 (Crowley)

1547423-1095348-missa.jpg

1547423-1095348-missa.jpg.17d8d52bd1d92975802bcf98e8fa31e6.jpg

Well, I made my first GA purchase this year. Sadly, to this point, it's still my only GA purchase.

Whiz Comics 70

I think it's about a 5.5 or maybe a 6.0. It has the upper left corner ding and the upper right corner clip. I'm in love with it, in the non-creepy way. It's cool to have a book that has that much history. Post-war advertisements, paper conservation stuff... very cool.

whizcom3.jpg

2006 was my return to collecting and my first real foray into Golden Age. It was a great year and I've made waaaaaay more progress than I expected. Here is my favorite so far. Its low grade and not graded by CGC, but I still love it.

Batman1.jpg

A whole bunch of great books on this thread!

Being the horror and L.B. Cole nut that I am, I have to give a nod to the Eerie #1 and Captain Flight #11, since I hope to have both in my collection at some point. Great books!

Are you going to send it to CGC? Does undeteched resto worry you? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I dont forsee getting it CGCed unless I get a better copy and need to sell this one... even then I might just try selling it as is. Who knows, 5 or 10 years from now PGX may have even left its bad reputation behind and be accepted as an equal in the grading game. 27_laughing.gif

As for undetected resto... none of the obvious things like color touch or tear seals or cover cleaning have been done so I dont think anything else has. At least thats what I hope smile.gif

In a year of tremendous market selction for me this was my gem/grail of the year. Show us your favorite pickup.

SMC31CGC8.jpg

Just drop me a line Peter if you get tired of it. thumbsup2.gif

As for me, this is a tough one, but I would have to go with a matched pair of Cape Cod Subbys....

Subby25.jpg

Subby26.jpg

Both books have been traveling together as a pair for close to 60 years. Purchased in a Cape Cod drug store in 1948, locked away in a closet for close to 50 years, then making their way to the comic market where they've switched hands at least seven times. They've never been seperated to my knowledge, always being sold as a matched set. And thus they shall remain in my collection..... cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Great haul! These "high beam" covers are fun, but this one is just plain anatomically bizarre! Are her breasts made out of granite? Is she a giantess, or are tanks really under 5' wide?

Jack

Here a few I knocked off my want list this year:

rangerscomics15cgc92fpb9.jpg

Good thread, although I think it's a cop-out to post more than one book. That's the "degree of difficulty" part, picking only one. Enforces discipline, builds character, yada, yada, yada... wink.gif

For me, although I got some pretty cool books this year, there's no way for me not to pick this one:

action1.jpg

talk about blowing my books away!!!! thumbsup2.gif

That is a really nice looking book.

2006 was the year that I re-entered the hobby after an absence of a few years. I was able to buy 11 GA ashcans, 2 pedigrees (1 Mile High & 1 Ohio), 2 copies of a Gerber 9 book (bringing my total to 4) and ASM #1. But I consider my "best purchase" to be this book which I've wanted for a long time & finally got this year:

Adventure375.jpg

Here's my 2 favorite buys from 2006. Both are currently being graded.

senstion101TED.jpg

SensationComics104.jpg

hail.gifhail.gif

Those late-run Sensations are so ridiculously undervalued in the Guide, as evidenced by the many multiples oF NM Guide paid for the Crippen VFs earlier this year. Awesome books. 893applaud-thumb.gif

In a year of tremendous market selction for me this was my gem/grail of the year. Show us your favorite pickup.

SMC31CGC8.jpg

Just drop me a line Peter if you get tired of it. thumbsup2.gif

Probably the last book I would sell in my collection. cloud9.gif This one certainly gets honourable meniton. cloud9.gifcloud9.gif (next to impossible to pick just one).

cac74CL55.jpg