• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Canadian Experience?

10 posts in this topic

I use FedEx to send them as that's the way they are shipped back from CGC to me. I fill out the declaration forms necessary and make the person at FedEx aware of my intentions and that they will come back to me after they're evaluated. I've never had an issue with the books coming back and simply signing off on the delivery. No taxes to bite me in the *spoon* later ever!!!

I've used FedEx to send books to CGC and the results were mixed....

They are a good service, in taking your books to where you want them to go, but you will have to pay brokerage fees, when the package gets to the border, if you value your books over $200.00. The fees weren't a lot of money, but they were extra fees that I wasn't expecting. I filled out all of the forms perfectly, even showing that the comics involved were going to be graded and returned to me.

Coming back to me, no fees, duties or taxes, which was nice....mind you, this all depends on what CGC will put on the customs form. I don't remember exactly what they put on the box back to me, but whatever it was it worked.

Andy

Depending on where you live in Canada, there are few comic book stores that will send the comics for you to CGC. For instance if you live Toronto, Paradise Comics will ship in the comics for you and tell you when they have returned from CGC to pick it up at the store.

Depending on where you live in Canada, there are few comic book stores that will send the comics for you to CGC. For instance if you live Toronto, Paradise Comics will ship in the comics for you and tell you when they have returned from CGC to pick it up at the store.

I used them for a couple of SS hopefuls. No worries with them.

For shipping to CGC, I use Canada Post's XPressPost USA with the following mention on the custom declaration "Canadian goods shipped to the U.S. for evaluation only".

I also include the following letter in two copies in the package (and CGC people are kind enough to put a copy in the box sent via FedEx after the books are graded) :

"To Canadian and American Custom authorities,

This package contains Canadian goods that are shipped to US for evaluation only. These books are sent to Comics Guaranty, LLC in Sarasota, Florida and should be shipped back to XXXXXX, Canada in XXXXX 200X.

The approximate value of these Canadian goods is CDN$XXXX. When shipped back to Montreal, Canada, this package will bear the mention "Canadian goods being returned, shipped to US for evaluation only."

As such, I would ask please that Canadian custom taxes be taken on the value of the service rendered by Comics Guaranty, LLC, the value of which will be indicated on the Canadian Custom declaration form."

With this, I never had any trouble, e.g., never paid any taxes thumbsup2.gif

(BTW Canadian custom taxes are on products entering the country, not on services rendered outside Canada. According to someone I know at Canada Custom, although the service rendered by CGC is not taxable, the CGC holder should be since it's an addition to a product insane.gif)