• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A warm welcome to user `Timely'

21 posts in this topic

West,

I would like to extend my warmest of welcomes to you and thank you for signing up on these message boards! It's always a pleasure to see knowledgeable, GA pedigree aficionados join in the conversations here. Since so much pedigree information is locked up in personal stories, I hope you'll be more than willing to share your knowledge and anecdotes with those of us who share your passion.

It's also nice to see another young collector talk so enthusiastically about Golden Age books. It gives us more ammunition against those who say the GA market is dead or dying because of aging demographics!

Alan

West,

I would like to extend my warmest of welcomes to you and thank you for signing up on these message boards! It's always a pleasure to see knowledgeable, GA pedigree aficionados join in the conversations here. Since so much pedigree information is locked up in personal stories, I hope you'll be more than willing to share your knowledge and anecdotes with those of us who share your passion.

It's also nice to see another young collector talk so enthusiastically about Golden Age books. It gives us more ammunition against those who say the GA market is dead or dying because of aging demographics!

Alan

You betcha. Pedigrees are like folklore and it is always great to hear the tales as close to firsthand as possible.

And yeah! Patooey on the naysayers claiming GA is washed up because everyone who reads them is near dead or post-dead!

> Patooey on the naysayers claiming GA is washed up because everyone who

> reads them is near dead or post-dead!

All that pre-code horror is getting to your metaphors, POV.

And, yes, it is very refreshing to see some of the real experts chiming in. Let's

hope they'll stick around for a while.

Thanks Alan,

My intentions here are to help people with questions, share information, and enjoy the hobby that has given so much to me. Ever since I bought my first Mile High back in 1988 (Captain Marvel #44 ,Gerber copy too!) I have been interested in pedigree books and High Grade Golden Age.

Unfortunately some out there will do anything to make a buck at any cost, but so far that has not deterred me from enjoying the medium, the art and the joys of collecting and meeting new fellow collectors. See you all in SD!!!

Timely

Echo all sentiments posted. Myself being only 32 years of age, I love the Golden Age and see it as the true cornerstone of the hobby, for its stories, history, and artwork. Holding a sixty year old book in my hands with stories and art pertinent to those times is an incredible feeling. I have zero interest in Silver Age and never will. Ultimately, it is scarcity that keeps a collectible in demand. And nothing in comics is more scarce than GA books in very fine or better condition. So don't you worry about where the new collectors will come from. People, such as myself, will come. And it's great to be here.

Ultimately, it is scarcity that keeps a collectible in demand.

Really? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought "demand" is what kept a collectible in demand! 893whatthe.gif

Scarcity is only one "small" factor in "demand".

To prove my point, just look at the difference in prices between "Funny GA books" and "Super-Hero GA books". makepoint.gif

To prove my point, just look at the difference in prices between "Funny GA books" and "Super-Hero GA books". makepoint.gif

Yeah, but ... um, see, the "Funny GA books" are still plentiful! Yeah, that's the ticket! They were the only ones to survive the '50s Wertham Purge! All those superhero books were full of homoerotic overtures that were turning kids into delinquents!! They all got burned!! But Fox & Crow? Wholesome! Super Duck! Whole ... er, scratch that. Nancy & Sluggo! Wholesome! Archie! Er, I'm not going there (whole Betty & Veronica thing) ....

Talking out of his @$$,

Alan

boo.gif

I thought "demand" is what kept a collectible in demand!

Smack dab on! The rarest book in the wolrd isn;t worth cow chips inless someone wants it! But you can make a lot of money selling cow chips is a lot of people want them, even if the supply of cow chips is plentiful.

I'm 22 here myself. I couldn't agree with you more. I watch the antiques roadshow on PBS every monday night and it is not suprising to see people bring in items that fetch large dollar figures that predate any living person. People attract to these items for various reasons but if you look at comic books during the 1938-1945 period, people will look back 100 years from now not maybe at their childhood hero or their soon to be local box office legend but instead at the cultural impact these books would have on the youth of the country, the media, art and the beginnings of icons of the 20th century pop culture. Furthermore given their rarity and age they will always maintain a price lead on comics (marvel silver age) that although significant in their own right for reigniting the flame, really when all is said and done invented a company not an industry.

Echo all sentiments posted. Myself being only 32 years of age, I love the Golden Age and see it as the true cornerstone of the hobby, for its stories, history, and artwork. Holding a sixty year old book in my hands with stories and art pertinent to those times is an incredible feeling. I have zero interest in Silver Age and never will. Ultimately, it is scarcity that keeps a collectible in demand. And nothing in comics is more scarce than GA books in very fine or better condition. So don't you worry about where the new collectors will come from. People, such as myself, will come. And it's great to be here.

Just went through the unsold heritage list......not one SA book on the list yet pages of GA books. That is demand.

Now guys don't start hating me because I posted this in the GA section. I am a GA lover and I am still drooling over the Captain Atom #1 I just got from Araich cloud9.gif

Just went through the unsold heritage list......not one SA book on the list yet pages of GA books. That is demand.

Now guys don't start hating me because I posted this in the GA section. I am a GA lover and I am still drooling over the Captain Atom #1 I just got from Araich cloud9.gif

The online bidding for all the High Grade Silver Age isn't even over until 11:00 PM tonight. They're auctioned off tomorrow. Hence, the lack of SA on the unsold list.

Now guys don't start hating me because I posted this in the GA section. I am a GA lover and I am still drooling over the Captain Atom #1 I just got from Araich

It's always nice to hear when an awsome GA book finds a nice home where it is loved and appreciated... wink.gif