• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who wants to buy the printing plate to secret wars 8

40 posts in this topic

If your going to want one from Secret Wars this would be one of the main ones.

I kind of like the plate idea, but as a one off curio type novelty, rather than a collectible like art, especially as it's reversed. But I'd have no idea what I'd think was fair value.

I was museing having the OA, colour guide and a plate from a page or cover would be a rare collection of pieces.

I really think the seller's idea of their worth is a bit inflated.

Besides, they aren't exactly one of a kind items. They are four of a kind. (And that's assuming there's only one set of plates.)

Black, cyan, magenta and yellow.

Kind of a neat thing to own ... but not for $800.

this I cool and I collect printing plates if they are cool or historic. But I own the printing plate to the original Star Wars Poster and I paid about a 10th of that. So if something far more historic sold for 80.00 then there is no way that piece will sell. Usually these pieces are taken home for free by employees or sold to salvage yards for about a dollar a pound due to the fact these are usually made of zinc or aluminum. Some salvage yard workers will see cool or historic pieces and save them a sell them for alittle bit but nowhere near 800.00

It's probably the same seller, but one of the covers (one of the "lesser" ones, not supes holding supergirl) went for around $800 earlier this year. This plate could go for $800 but most people don't have free cash at this time of the year!

Its time to say I told you so, that cover plate already has a bid, and will likel go for more. Saying that, all his other cover plates are priced in the same ballpark. Those other books just aren't as historical and will likely not sell.

Its time to say I told you so, that cover plate already has a bid, and will likel go for more. Saying that, all his other cover plates are priced in the same ballpark. Those other books just aren't as historical and will likely not sell.

You can say "I told you so all" you want – and I'll counter with "There's a sucker born every minute." insane.gif

You can say "I told you so all" you want – and I'll counter with "There's a sucker born every minute." insane.gif

Me too...and yes since comics are 4 color,there are 3 other plates out there. Black plates are refered to as "K",so the pressman running the press would write down on his press report "K+3" (standing for Black and 3 color plates) under the section for how many colors he is running. What do you know, you learn something new everyday. thumbsup2.gif

You are very correct. I would say whoever bid will never get his money back out of that piece.

If you buy from ebay in order to make money, most of the time you are SOL (unless there was a typo or bad scan). Ebay prices is pretty much retail, you can't make money off that.

However, if another bid surfaces for it, then the price would reflect the true value of the printing plate.

The collector mentality is strange. Most people do not understand why we spend hundreds of dollars on drawings on pieces of paper (or beanie babbies or pez dispensers) and we do not understand why people would spend money on a printing plate, but the fact remains, there are people willing to pay those prices and support that market.

If you buy from ebay in order to make money, most of the time you are SOL (unless there was a typo or bad scan). Ebay prices is pretty much retail, you can't make money off that.

Absolute nonsense. There are a number of factors that can come into play in an eBay auction, and many pieces end at much less than current market.

Besides, what is retail when you are talking about art? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i gotta say to each there own. if a person want,s to spend $ 700.00 on a printing plate or a pez dispenser, then god bless em. it not my cup of tea so . what me worry, 27_laughing.gif

larry ;]

Wow - then I am REALLY overpaying any time I buy something from a dealer. wink.gif

As a general rule I've found that eBay prices are generally below market – unless there are two bidders who really want a piece and drive the price up. As a buyer I've gotten pages for a fraction of what I would have had to pay elsewhere. As a seller I've had countless auctions not meet reserve (by a large percentage) only to sell privately for full price later.

First off...

Kris, you know damn well that the SW plate you're talking about would sell for a hell of a lot more than $80

Secondly, why does someone have to buy this Secret Wars plate to make money off of it? Maybe they just really like it!

Lastly... this is actually one out of two sets of these. Notice it has a barcode? There is/was a direct market plate as well! thumbsup2.gif

Honestly though, if you're going to buy a plate for a book like this, then this is the one I'd want.... the BLACK one!

Wow - then I am REALLY overpaying any time I buy something from a dealer. wink.gif

As a general rule I've found that eBay prices are generally below market – unless there are two bidders who really want a piece and drive the price up. As a buyer I've gotten pages for a fraction of what I would have had to pay elsewhere. As a seller I've had countless auctions not meet reserve (by a large percentage) only to sell privately for full price later.

I agree. I've certainly bought stuff off ebay for a lot less than retail (DVDs, for example). Original Art-wise, I've picked-up quite a few bargains - at prices a lot lower than I'd expect to see on dealers' sites.

I often see dealers competing for art on ebay. Ebay aside, I know that Mike Burkey (Romitaman) often buys art from the Heritage auctions, to flip at a higher asking price.