• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC ALL SCREWED UP

258 posts in this topic

Im going to say this plain and simple. You should always examine every aspect of a book before submitting it to be graded and even when you purchase it. CGC would not grade a book 4.5 if it is a 9.2. With the said you should call CGC and ask for graders notes since their is a big possibility that you missed something or just didnt grade the book properly.

thumbsup2.gif

Post scans in the grading forum, nascar, we'd love to see 'em.

Short story 3 collecters in our area years of collecting decided to send 5 books in to cgc[ first time ever] we from 3 collections picked 5 great 1970s books that we all felt were nm 9.2 9.4 condition.We got them back and 4.0 4.5 was the highest grades. what a joke for perfect books. I look at you all saying 9.this and 9.that wellyour kidding yourselves. not only will we never send any in again we will never buy Raw anything ebay or otherwise. as the grades you all put on are in fact a 50 50 chance of. further more 8.0 books on these boards dont sell unless high demand most here are mint or nothing so many of us waste our time. guess put em away and let the next generation deal with the disapointment. BLOWIN STEAM 3 of us now have a change of heart. 893naughty-thumb.gif
Considering you tried to sell your 100 pager drek under your other ID (indy something?) and you got reemed when the grades you gave out weren't even close. Also, I remember your Detective 400 with the pulled staple among other problems that you wanted over $100. We'll love to see your scans. Strangely, none of my 9.2/9.4 books that I submit to CGC ever come back as 4.0 or 4.5. I wonder why 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Short story 3 collecters in our area years of collecting decided to send 5 books in to cgc[ first time ever] we from 3 collections picked 5 great 1970s books that we all felt were nm 9.2 9.4 condition.We got them back and 4.0 4.5 was the highest grades. what a joke for perfect books. I look at you all saying 9.this and 9.that wellyour kidding yourselves. not only will we never send any in again we will never buy Raw anything ebay or otherwise. as the grades you all put on are in fact a 50 50 chance of. further more 8.0 books on these boards dont sell unless high demand most here are mint or nothing so many of us waste our time. guess put em away and let the next generation deal with the disapointment. BLOWIN STEAM 3 of us now have a change of heart. 893naughty-thumb.gif
Considering you tried to sell your 100 pager drek under your other ID (indy something?) and you got reemed when the grades you gave out weren't even close. Also, I remember your Detective 400 with the pulled staple among other problems that you wanted over $100. We'll love to see your scans. Strangely, none of my 9.2/9.4 books that I submit to CGC ever come back as 4.0 or 4.5. I wonder why 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif
Was that greggy?? Talking??

I will call and ask for the graders notes. 5 books not 1 and 3 people selecting Or as a guy told me in the comic book store. dont send m you will get a Friday 415 guy and be dis satisfied but I sent them. so all everyone elses experiences have been great I guess.

If your grading is anything like your grammar I understand why you are disappointed. stooges.gif

27_laughing.gif

popcorn.gif
Was that greggy?? Talking??
makepoint.gif

If it were just me grading thats one thing but 3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree with you. The vast majority of collectors and many dealers belong to the "don't know how to grade" club. You should consider running for president of the club. You would get at least three votes. thumbsup2.gif

If it were just me grading thats one thing but 3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree with you. The vast majority of collectors and many dealers belong to the "don't know how to grade" club. You should consider running for president of the club.

blush.gif

I may post before and after scans this weekend. If I were dishonest which I am not I would cut out of holder and you all would think it was 8.5 to who knows 9.+ But I wont do that. If it were just me grading thats one thing but 3 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm When they take nice books and grade that low there worthless by guide price standards. Maybe its who is sending them in? I saw a couple of peoples books here then mentioned 6.0 to 6.5 IMHO and they were crumpled up and falling apart. Those are the ones that I would never buy. Raw is a risky buissness.

Is this some kind of early April Fools Joke?

If not, well then I am not sure where to start. Posting before and after scans, along with grader notes would be in order before going off on CGC, and it would be better received on the forum instead of you ranting about perceived transgressions that only you are privy to.

Count to ten and come back and present your case again. (Might I ask how long you have been buying back issues?)

Raw IS a risky business if you do not ask for large scans, ask ANY questiuons you have before buying and buy from a seller with feedback you find at a level you can trust.

For the most part we all wore blinders before coming here. I used to think my entire collection was F/VF. Only after educating myself here,and other similar places was I forced to re think what my collection actually was, a bunch of really nice VG/F comics. Blaming others for what I previously bought would change the fact that the books were what they were. Dogs.

I just moved on, lesson learned.

You can be mad that your books are not what you thought them to be, but to be angry at CGC for telling you the truth is misplaced.

Ze-

nascar, sorry you feel you got a "raw" deal tongue.gif

I've sent literally hundreds of books to CGC. On a few occasions I sent stuff that I had owned for a while, "remembered" that it was a killer book, only to get it back and find that there were interior tears or staple pulls that I had not remembered or had missed in my own clearly sub-par leaf through of the book. Yes, it's very disappointing when you send a book you think is 9.0 in and get a 4.5 back. But it happens. And you learn from it. I don't send in anything now without checking it over VERY thoroughly.

Get the graders notes and let us know what happened, ok? Did you and your collector friends each page through every book before sending it? Or did you just look at the comics in the bag, say "wow, these look like a superb copies" and then send them in? If you did the latter, it's amazing what you can miss trying to grade it through a bag. That's why what you say about ebay is right -- it's a tossup if you don't buy from someone with a solid reputation or who you know you can trust. Just about everyone on these boards has been burned on ebay by getting a "near mint" book and opening it up to find a page missing or coupon cut. When buying on ebay, it's definitely "rigor mortis"... no wait, that's not it -- it's "caveat emptor."

In any case, don't blame CGC for anything until you get the graders notes. Sure, CGC can make mistakes but usually it's a case of the submitter not seeing something. Of course, that's one of the reasons you pay CGC to grade: they often times catch stuff that you don't. In the end hopefully it'll make you a better grader, and a better collector or seller.

And if it turns out that there's nothing in the graders notes that indicate it should be a 4.5, then you have a legitimate beef and you can discuss with CGC.

It's just premature to come out and rip on CGC until you have both sides of the story.

Til then, popcorn.gif

Just my opinions is all dont get me wrong we loved spending 162.00 to get back 96.00 in ospg value. I should buy stock in the company I would make more?

Let's see scans of the books you feel are overgraded and we'll tell you if it's you, or if it's CGC that can't grade. thumbsup2.gif

Just my opinions is all dont get me wrong we loved spending 162.00 to get back 96.00 in ospg value. I should buy stock in the company I would make more?

this is another great time to post an over-used quote:

"Some men you just can't reach, like what we had here the other day..."

The best way to get everyone opinion is by posting scans. Until that happens we only have your word to go on...unless someone can vouch for you that word carries no weight.

Like I said, until we see scans of what you sent in this conversation has no legs.

Sorry you are mad, but it sounds like you are mad your return was not what you had hoped it to be. That is understandable. But it is not CGC's fault, it is yours. They do not miss the mark 3 times in a row on one submission.

Sending in books and hoping you hit the jackpot is part of the fun. But it sounds like you just need to learn the rules a little bit better.

I look foward to seeing what you sent in.

Ze-

>> For the most part we all wore blinders before coming here. I used to

>> think my entire collection was F/VF.

That is so true -- I think that has happened to a lot of us.

Several months ago I got into a "spirited" discussion with a dealer at a

show who just HATED CGC books. He had the same story, he had sent in some

"great" books and they came back VG. He couldn't understand it. But looking

at his books at the show revealed that they were almost all wildly overgraded.

And it's awfully hard to come to grips with being wrong. Much easier to blame

the other guy.

gozer

---------------------

We had another fight over the inflatable bath pillow.