• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Books Does the Guide Just Not Catch Up To?

68 posts in this topic

Dont forget this book, auctioned by our own Showcase-4

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reform-School-Girl-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

oh wow, I was keeping an eye on how high it'd go and stopped looking at that 5100 standstill. Nice one showcase smile.gif

thanks! Here's how sweet it was...this is info on my purchase of the book "raw" in 2005

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=8255&si=123

Gosh! What a great return on investment!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess I should start letting you buy for me. flowerred.gif

oh wow, I was keeping an eye on how high it'd go and stopped looking at that 5100 standstill. Nice one showcase smile.gif

thanks! Here's how sweet it was...this is info on my purchase of the book "raw" in 2005

headbang.gif that's a nice flip in only 1 year. Man I got to learn to pick up stuff that'll make me some cash later on grin.gif

Junior Comics is fairly underpriced in the guide (especially #14)

Most of the Brenda Starr issues (especially, again #14) are also undervalued.

Very true. When I can find Juniors, they go for big bucks. I've just started on Brenda, so I can't say for sure yet.

headbang.gif that's a nice flip in only 1 year. Man I got to learn to pick up stuff that'll make me some cash later on grin.gif

Look at how well the All Star 3 is doing and that's a recent flip. I know a lot of people were picking at him for some platinum purchases, but from my my vantage point,(way down here) it sure looks like he knows what he's doing. Congratulations Showcase-4.

MiIlie the Model 2. Guide is completely irrelevant. Also a bunch of the Fiction House bondage covers, which should be split out into a "classic" designation, much like Startling 49 has the "classic" robot cover designation.

Better question is books where the Guide is vastly HIGH. thumbsup2.gif

Also a bunch of the Fiction House bondage covers, which should be split out into a "classic" designation, much like Startling 49 has the "classic" robot cover designation.

thumbsup2.gif

Completely agree. thumbsup2.gif

Also a bunch of the Fiction House bondage covers, which should be split out into a "classic" designation, much like Startling 49 has the "classic" robot cover designation.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, most definitely some of these should be broken out in the guide, especially since they also sell for a nice premium to guide in comparison to some of the other surrounding issues.

Seems like a lot of guys on this forum are blowing the early TEC prices out of the water.

And have for years.

Didn't they generally go for double guide? I was reading a 90s Overstreet and they reported a few sales that were double guide. And in 2005, the few I saw went for around double.

But lately, the multiple has ramped up to triple or quadruple guide.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, most definitely some of these should be broken out in the guide, especially since they also sell for a nice premium to guide in comparison to some of the other surrounding issues.

The thing with Overstreet is even when they do break out books, the price bump is often minimal, sometimes that's accurate but when was the last time anyone paid only $120 for a 6.0 Fight #31? Heck, when was the last time anyone paid $120 for a 2.0 copy?

I will say with FH bondage/headlight covers, there is an embarrassment of riches, which has something to do with many worthy covers not being broken out.

Better question is books where the Guide is vastly HIGH. thumbsup2.gif

like $11,395 for a VF/NM Tough Kid Squad insane.gif

Says the man who just sold a 7.5 photo cover one shot for about the same amountpoke2.gif

Beautiful flip by the way, I have learned not to underestimate the appeal of slutty ice-skater covers.

But seriously what is up with TKS? - it's been high for decades! Didn't it used to guide for more than Young Allies #1? What is fair market value for this book, 50% of guide? Or less even?

most GA Action or Superman war covers, (Japanese, Germans).. in grades above 4.0,,

a CGC 4.0 Superman #17 ended up on ebay at over $800, 2006 guide for a 4.0 is $578.

can't find the auction anymore, but it ended on DEC 20th.

Look at how well the All Star 3 is doing and that's a recent flip. I know a lot of people were picking at him for some platinum purchases, but from my my vantage point,(way down here) it sure looks like he knows what he's doing. Congratulations Showcase-4.

seconded. hail.gif

most GA Action or Superman war covers, (Japanese, Germans).. in grades above 4.0,,

a CGC 4.0 Superman #17 ended up on ebay at over $800, 2006 guide for a 4.0 is $578.

can't find the auction anymore, but it ended on DEC 20th.

Strangely enough, the guide is more likely to be off on books that are the most famous and most easily explained to and understood by a novice.

Those incluse the earliest actions and detectives, war covers (especially Superman), low number Archies and Peps in all grades (or higher numbers in higher grades)

Second tier of easily understood books would include hitler and tojo covers, atomic war and anti-communist/cold war issues, negro issues (that was the term during the GA), among others.

And for the ultra-maintstream titles I'd say they're undervalued in the lower and upper grades. High end sales for the best of the best are not reflected in the near mint prices, and neither are "good" level prices for books graded fair. The guide seems married to a strict percentage increase or decrease based on condition, which is more apropos when there are many copies to choose from. But what happens with the famous issues is that people who want a copy at the most affordable price will pay the lowest listed price for a copy even if it's not in good condition. And they generally do not want to pay twice as much for a book that appears slightly better. Conversely, on the high end, buyers who are determined to have the best will ignore the highest listed price in the guide. In between good and near mint (and especially between fine and very fine) is where prices are more likely to resemble the guide.

To reflect the market I would say the range between fair and fine should be tighter -- with the range between fine and mint to be wider. Push up the prices on grades below fine and push up the prices at VFand above and the guide would better reflect what actually occurs.

I think Nearmint would agree, Black Terror & Fighting Yank . Alot of Nedors are scarce such as Exciting # 30 , # 39 esp. undervalued, Startling Comics # 10 1st app. of Fighting Yank maybe moreso then Exciting Comics# 9 .Early Black Terror, Etc. Etc....so many issues undervalued.......Try and find them at guide. Not!!

I think Nearmint would agree, Black Terror & Fighting Yank . Alot of Nedors are scarce such as Exciting # 30 , # 39 esp. undervalued, Startling Comics # 10 1st app. of Fighting Yank maybe moreso then Exciting Comics# 9 .Early Black Terror, Etc. Etc....so many issues undervalued.......Try and find them at guide. Not!!

Nearmint;

I would most definitely agree with you on the Startling #10 in comparison to the the Exciting #9. Both of these are first appearance issues and to me, the Startling #10 just does not seem to ever show up in the marketplace.

I still remember back in the early to mid 90's when both of these books were priced about the same in guide. A few high profile copies of Exciting #9 did make it to market and now the price is almost triple that of Startling #10.

A classic case that a scarce book can certainly drive prices up, but an extremely scarce book can also keep prices down. On the other hand, it could also be the chicken and egg scenario. Maybe the high prices kept the Exciting #9's coming into the marketplace for awhile, whereas the low prices just convinced the collectors to hang onto their Startling #10's. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey Lou, it was Punyhuman that posted , not Nearmint. makepoint.gif

But I know he probaly would agree. & I agree with your points. thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

I 'will tell you that's food for thought. The low prices on the Fighting Yank may be keeping collectors from selling. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif