• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Books Does the Guide Just Not Catch Up To?

68 posts in this topic

yeah, I got really used to filling out really LONG addresses on those packages!

How much shipping charge would it cost to send books overseas? Are there flat rate boxes for these shipments?

Personal experience has been that there are quite a few collections out there with high grade examples of these books. Predominately in the hands of older collectors who will not slab them. Eventually they will come to maket. I brought some extremely high grade copies of them in the mid 90's that got scooped up immediately and have never come back out.

Add those to the file copies and you have a fairly high number of high grade copies of the early key ducks (et al), much more than I have seen of their superhero counterparts.

Sounds about right. I wasn't around at the time but I get the sense that the barks stuff was some of the first stuff collected when the hobby started to take off in the late 60s/ early 70s.... there must be lots of copies salted away in the hands of collectors who haven't even bought a comic in 5,10, or 20 years. Whether they are 9.0 or 9.4 is the only real question I guess. Either way I wouldn't want to be 25 grand deep into an uncle scrooge 1 right now.

I guess the ones you're talking about are your crescent city books? NM from the sounds of it?

All good points, and good explanations of why NM Duck books SHOULDN'T be expensive. But right now, they are going for much more than the Guide price, and have been for a while, and therefore seem to fall into the category of books where the Guide hasn't caught up yet. I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is. I will happily pay 2X 9.2 Guide for raw NM- copies and 4X 9.2 Guide for raw NM copies of any Duck Four Colors. (I would even more happily pay those prices for slabbed copies, but I don't imagine anyone would be dumb enough to sell them to me at those prices, further underscoring my point).

Well of course you'd pay those multiples.. that's pretty much a guaranteed profit. And I'm sure you'll agree that regardless of the fact that there are a lot of them out there, they are some of the true gems of the hobby and (high grade prices aside) are generally underappreciated if anything... so in a sense NM copies should be expensive. But 25 grand is a lot of cake!!

As an aside, what do you think that 9.6(?) bear mountain of yours is worth these days?

One Meeelllioon dollars?

This dynamic doesn't apply to every Duck book, of course. The early issues command strong prices across the board. Why, I don't know, maybe because the print runs weren't as big? Prime examples would be FC 29 and 62.

Tim & Bronty;

How about March of Comics #4?

I have heard that this has always been a real tough book to find in grade relative to some of the other early Duck books. As a promotional comic, shouldn't it have a larger print run? confused.gif

And no, Tim, I don't have one of these. poke2.gif

MOC 4 certainly seems to be undervalued, based on the most recent sale on Heritage of a 7.0 copy for $11,950 (including BP), which is almost 3X the 8.0 Guide price!

I don't follow promotional comics--do promotional comics tend to have large print runs, and more importantly, high survival rates?

Well of course you'd pay those multiples.. that's pretty much a guaranteed profit.

Exactly my point. Which shows the books are way undervalue in the Guide (at least for 9.2).

Nobody's debating that! tongue.gif Wow, over 10k for a fvf MOC 4 huh? Yow.