• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finder's fees?

7 posts in this topic

Someone recently mentioned that they would be expecting a "finder's fee" for locating a sought after piece of art. (and, presumably, if a deal could be done).

I've seen this term bandied about regularly by collectors looking for specific art.

My question is, does this have any sort of concensus as to definition? A percentage? A flat rate?

I'm guessing that some of the readers of this Board have used the expression as an incentive but have you got a figure or percentage in mind? Is there any obligation on you to ever actually put your hand in your pocket?

Merely curious

Joseph

http://qurls.com?i=1479

iam not sure on the amount. but yes if you get help from someone and they help you get a grail for your collection. then yes you owe that person a lil something more than a thank you thats for sure. it .s just the right thing to do. iam pretty sure you have some members on here that found items that way for there private collection , maybe they will chim in on this.

it.s never happen to me yet but i think i would for sure do something for that person.

larry ;]

I've heard of collectors offering finder's fees, but I've never heard of anyone actually demanding one. That's bad collecting karma!

I think most "finder's fees" are meant to be a token of appreciation, and there's no hard/fast rule on what constitutes that. If someone wants to help you out, they'll help you out...I haven't heard of anyone seeking out art just for the financial reward of a finder's fee.

Many people offer up a finder's fee when they announce they are looking for a particular piece.

I'd never, ever think of demanding (or thinking I was entitled to) a finder's fee. That stuff comes back to bite you in the collecting butt.

I love Cosmic Odyssey art and am trying unsuccessfully to focus my collection on that. Pkveronese pointed out my first page to me. I hemmed and hawed and my wife ended up buying it for me so that was cool. I wouldn't offer a finder's fee with respect to help like this as I do the same for others. To me the idea doesn't sit well as others said, collecting karma works very well when we all keep an eye out for each other's interests.

Demanding a fee sounds wrong to me, but I'd pay one, if I had to, and it was in my definition reasonable, if it led to me getting a piece I really really wanted. But if someone demanded one it could show motivation.

However, I firmly believe in karma too. A couple of people have helped me out, and I have paid it forward with a few, and the thought would never cross my mind to ask for a fee for that kind of help. In the karma model you help and get helped back, make friends and have a great hobby experience in my opinion.

Though I play at a lower level to some, so I wonder if things are different at the more pricey level.

Once I was offered me a finders fee, I declined, saying I'd rather just have him return the favour if the opportunity ever arose.

Cheers,

Someone recently mentioned that they would be expecting a "finder's fee" for locating a sought after piece of art. (and, presumably, if a deal could be done).

I've seen this term bandied about regularly by collectors looking for specific art.

My question is, does this have any sort of concensus as to definition? A percentage? A flat rate?

I'm guessing that some of the readers of this Board have used the expression as an incentive but have you got a figure or percentage in mind? Is there any obligation on you to ever actually put your hand in your pocket?

Merely curious

Joseph

http://qurls.com?i=1479

If I relied on the guy for locating the art, and a deal ensued, then I'd certainly feel obliged to pay some kind of 'finders fee' in return. As to specifics . . . something within reason. Depends on how 'Grail-like' the art is to you . . . and how 'Grateful' you're feeling . . ?