• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kite Fun Book Research

8 posts in this topic

The sum total of my comic collection is Kite Fun Books.

Due to the release of the file copies recently, I have been finally able to determine what happened to the missing 1958 kite fun book. The solution is that from 1953 to 1957 the were copyrighted at the end of the year for release following spring.

So the 1957 one was released in the spring of 1958.

From 1959 to 1963, they were copyrighted in the rear they were released. 1959 was released in spring of 1959.

They switched back in 1963. There are two 1963. Rocky & Bullwinkle was printed in January and released in the spring. Other one was printed in December and released in 1964.

Information I am looking for still:

Utility for each book. I have a list of utilities for each book. Underdog has the most with 7 variations. Let me know what you have. My list will be on ebay soon.

Pinocchio Kite Fun Book. Anybody know if a Southern California Edison exist? All the research has been on Donald Duck,

Woody Woodpecker 1956 - Apparently there is a letter regarding it in Comic Marketplace #50 (1997.) Anybody can tell me what it says? I am especially interested in the 1956 and the 1957 Tom & Jerry. I believe that Southern California Edison may have used a variant of Reddy Kilowatt #3 (The Space Kite) instead of the kite fun book in one of the years. My copies of those two years are other utilities.

Still filling in information in the 1980s and 1990s, but I now have most years.

Still skeptical about Pixie & Dixie (1965/6.) Possible used by smaller utilities then Southern California Edison and PG&E, which would make if scarcer, if it even exist.

Dave

Hi Dave! Welcome to the boards. hi.gif

I don't know much about the Kite books, but there are several members here who collect promotional comics, so maybe they can give you more info. But here is the letter from CBM 50:

3614CBM50letter2.jpg

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

Hopefully someone can help you out -- I'm afraid your question is way too specialized for me.

Would love to see some of the books if you get a chance to post as I doubt I've seen very many of these.

Thanks Theagenes ,

That tells me what I wanted to know. They are of course listed in the price guide under kite fun books. Woody Woodpecker is the one I am trying to research, as I am trying to determine if SCE issued a version. I bought one on ebay recently from Illinois power, another one is up now on ebay. Also have a copy for PG&E.

Dave

At the Geppi's museum, what utility is Wood Woodpecker?

Thanks for the information.

My collection of Kite Fun Books is probably complete, I will start posting some pics in a few hours. My preference is SCE as they are my employer and I am hoping to upgrade my other utilities to SCE.

Dave