• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frontline #10

10 posts in this topic

Anyone who picked this up saw quite possibly one of the sickest, diabolical and possibly more gruesome origins i've ever seen for a "new" character. I'm talking of course of the end of Speedball and the birth of Penance!

In case some of you aren't following any tie-ins for Civil War, Robbie Williams has signed on the registration program and will be entered in the new Thunderbolts team with his new powers and costume. It's specifically designed to inflict pain in himself, one spike for each person he "murdered" at Stanford.

Sick and twisted...I think the new Thunderbolts is going to be insane, i'm actually hoping they do something with this guy for once. I loathed Speedball, but seeing this transformation has convinced me at least one good thing is coming from the end of Civil War.

I just finished reading the issue, and thought the whole premise was ridiculous.

Hmm. So masochism now functions as a form of attonement for the deaths of hundreds. As if.

Can this civil war get any more stupid? I doubt it.

I want to know how he can see. Dumbest character in a long while screwy.gif

screwy.gif

read the issue, last page buddy gossip.gif He should have just gone and visited apocalypse and gotten a good gig.

Here's my thinking upon further review. And, it could well be that I've overthought this.

I think the premise of the character is oK. I think I'd like to read about a character that's made that type of decision for those types of reasons. BUT, I think that character belongs in a MAX title. There's alot of underlying themes tied to that which I don't want to have to discuss with my stepson, you know? The other thing is, they've done this to an established character in a way that doesn't necessarily gel with prior incarnations. Now, I realize many people think Speedball sucks. And there's some comics out there to substantiate this. But if you look at early appearances, you might come to like the character. But twisting a fun-loving type character that way would be like making Captain Marvel a Punisher-type character. I hate when things are done as a stunt. They should've just killed him if they were going to do this and saved the twisted origin for a MAX character (which actually could be successful standalone like that.)