• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imagine my surprise...

41 posts in this topic

Recently I bought a couple large boxes full of old 35mm slides at an auction and I've been having fun looking through them, sorting them and selling them on ebay. There were 2 similar slides that had the same building in them, but I couldn't easily identify the city so I scanned them high resolution to try to make out words on buildings- company names- to try to google for a match. So I'm looking over the one image and I decided to peer into the door of the Walgreens- right out front by the door is a spinner rack of 1950's comics! Pretty cool, so thought I'd share:

walgreens.jpg

BTW, anyone know by chance what city this is? I'm kind of leaning towards Denver, although my first instinct was Minneapolis. The slide collection is heavy on Colorado images... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Recently I bought a couple large boxes full of old 35mm slides at an auction and I've been having fun looking through them, sorting them and selling them on ebay. There were 2 similar slides that had the same building in them, but I couldn't easily identify the city so I scanned them high resolution to try to make out words on buildings- company names- to try to google for a match. So I'm looking over the one image and I decided to peer into the door of the Walgreens- right out front by the door is a spinner rack of 1950's comics! Pretty cool, so thought I'd share:

walgreens.jpg

BTW, anyone know by chance what city this is? I'm kind of leaning towards Denver, although my first instinct was Minneapolis. The slide collection is heavy on Colorado images... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's Dallas. The guy in the t-shirt is Oswald. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

OK, I'll go sign-offtopic.gif

There were 2 BIG boxes- one the size of a TV or computer monitor box and the other about half that size containing the slide collection. At the end of the weekly auction I always go to, they sweep the floor, then open up a small storage door that always has big box lots of what they consider the unsellable or junk boxes. Most of the auction crowd is gone at that point, so the boxes usually end up selling for $1.00 each or several boxes for a $1.00 near the end of that portion of the sale. They drag the boxes out, give everyone just a few minutes to look through them, then start the bidding. So I made sure I was the high bidder for first choice- it was $12.00 high bid, so I got both boxes for $24.00 total.

Over 2,000 slides in total, I estimate, in projector carousels, boxes, etc. I sold 8 slides of 1950's NYC for $72.00 in one lot on ebay, sold one very cool slide for $14.50 (see pic below), & several other small lots sold well. The lots I expected to sell didn't and the oddball lots sold well. One guy in LA who has bought slides from me in the past actually does theater shows with slides he buys from different sources- I think they are all 1940's-1960's. He bids aggressively for entertaining oddball material. It seems like interesting 1950's or earlier USA slides can sell well, especially if old cars are in the pics. International slides are a tough sell. Of course you need a good slide scanner which I never had until recently to get good results.

durango.jpg

I just scanned a bunch more that I will be listing in the next few days, you can check out the ones that were on ebay by a doing a completed ebay search (past 2 weeks should catch them all) for seller: jmcneer (I really need to get back to selling comics someday soon)

There was a lot of an amateur pinup model from the 1950's that I had to relist in the mature category after ebay yanked it off their main site for flashing a little boob. acclaim.gif

Those comics look like Disneys, or other Dells anyway.

There is a little blur to the slide, and Photobucket shrunk the pic a bit when uploaded, so I'm going to try a higher resolution on that area to see if I can catch any detail...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Walgreen's of the 1950's was a well established dinner. I'm curious to why they'd be selling comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Walgreen's is a pharmacy, still around on Long Island.

Well, the Walgreen of today is a pharmacy. I think they made the transformation from dinner to pharmacy sometime in the 1970's And today they are around everywhere. They're right next to Star Bucks and across the street from Wal-Mart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Walgreen's of the 1950's was a well established dinner. I'm curious to why they'd be selling comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, the Walgreen of today is a pharmacy. I think they made the transformation from dinner to pharmacy sometime in the 1970's And today they are around everywhere. They're right next to Star Bucks and across the street from Wal-Mart.

In the pic, it says CIGARS and DRUGS in the window to the left of the comic rack, so my guess is it was a pharmacy back then too.

In the pic, it says CIGARS and DRUGS in the window to the left of the comic rack, so my guess is it was a pharmacy back then too.

Wikipedia only states that Walgreens was a Pharmacy founded in 1901.

Wikipedia only states that Walgreens was a Pharmacy founded in 1901.

Our hot food brought a warm reception

The year was 1910. Walgreen now had two stores. His challenge: how to find ever-new ways of satisfying a growing customer base while outshining his competitors.

Over the preceding 100 years, the soda fountain had become key to virtually every American drugstore. Beginning in the early 19th century, bottled soda water, and later charged soda water, were considered important health aids, making it a natural fixture in drugstores. To dispense the icy-cold, charged water, a tin pipe and spigot were attached. Soon, flavored syrups were added to the fizzy water and still later, ice cream added to that. As sodas grew in popularity, so the "soda fountain" grew in beauty, ornamentation and importance as a revenue source to the drugstore.

Manufacturers vied in creating ornate fountains, with onyx counter-tops and fixtures of silver and bronze and lighting by Tiffany.

Walgreens was no exception to such a popular trend. Indeed, its soda fountains were among Chicago's most beautiful. Yet the reality was that the items soda fountains served - ice cream and fountain creations - were invariably cold. And cold items sold only in hot weather. That meant each fall drugstore owners everywhere were resigned to mothballing their soda fountains until the warm weather returned. Thus, the drugstores lost an important revenue stream, not to mention valuable store space that could have been used for other, profitable purposes.

Acceptance of the status quo, however, was not one of Charles Walgreen's strong points. His response to this dilemma was typically double-barreled: an idea that benefited his customers as much as his company.

"Why not serve hot food during cold weather?"

Beginning with simple sandwiches, soups and desserts, Walgreen was able to keep his fountain open during the winter and provide his customers with affordable, nutritious, home-cooked meals. And the food was home cooked, thanks to Myrtle Walgreen, Charles' wife. All menu items - from her chicken, tongue and egg salad sandwiches to bean or cream of tomato soup to the cakes and pies - were prepared by Myrtle Walgreen in their home kitchen. She rose at dawn and finished cooking by 11 a.m., and the food was then delivered fresh to Walgreen's two stores.

As a result of this common-sense innovation, Walgreen once again demonstrated his knack for helping his company while better serving the public. From then on, through the 1980s, food service was an integral part of the Walgreens story. Every Walgreens was outfitted with comfortable, versatile soda fountain facilities serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just as Walgreen had reasoned, customers coming to the stores for Interior of a Walgreens storefood usually stayed to purchase other necessary items. And with its friendly waitresses, wholesome food and fair prices, loyalty to Walgreens increased exponentially

Must be some confusion somewhere. I suppose it's a pharmacy but it sells food and drinks? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif