• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pencil-only art, any concerns?

7 posts in this topic

I'm pretty close to biting the bullet and purchasing my second OA page and had a question. The piece is uninked pencil, so I am concerned about fading, smudging, or something I am not thinking of. Anyone have any experience with this type of piece?

I have a few pencilled only pieces, including published ones. The bulk are captain marvel pages which can be seen here

I put them in mylar sleeves and haven't had any problems with them. I didn't spray them with fixative and I don't know if the artist did or not (2 of them I bought direct from the artist, I'm not 100% sure, but I think he said they weren't sprayed)

I don't display those particular pages so I can't speak about fading when exposed to sunlight.

Malvin

I have a few mayhew pieces. He put a piece of velum on top of the art and I put them in mylar for storage. No fixative. No problems

I'm pretty close to biting the bullet and purchasing my second OA page and had a question. The piece is uninked pencil, so I am concerned about fading, smudging, or something I am not thinking of. Anyone have any experience with this type of piece?

I've got a Zulli Sandman page which is all pencils and it's in a frame and I've not seen any fading, though its not generally in direct sunlight. Does pencil actually fade under light?

I also have a large Steve Rude pencil sketch which has shading done with the side of a pencil and I've now put it in a mylar to stop things rubbing against it as it became obvious that the art would be prone to smudging.

Someone did suggest spraying with a fixative but i've heard of fixatives discolouring so I thought why risk it when the mylar serves as well.

Joseph

I have a few pieces. The ones that come to mind: Thunderbolts # 94 cover, Ultimate Spider-Man # 77 cover, Green Arrow # 50 cover, Nick Cardy Wonder Girl piece. None have shown any smudging or fading. I have some framed, some that are not and have never sprayed them with anything.

Hope that helps. confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't think there would be any problems, generally, but the piece I have in mind is pretty expensive, so I want to be as prepared as possible. The pencilled pages I've seen in the past, like Colleen Doran's A Distant Soil, seemed to have held up, though that was a while ago and I didn't study them too hard. Pencil can fade over time, as some of my old drawings can show, and it doesn't take much to smudge them, especially if they are not drawn with hard lead on stiff board. My old final project architecture school drawings, done using a 4H lead on a board like sheet metal, look like they were done yesterday.