• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Hypothetical

37 posts in this topic

im sure you can request not to have CGC include your book in the census. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I certainly hope that is not the case. Are you saying that CGC would honor a request not to list a book they graded in the census. That would pretty much invalidate any useful information you would try to gather from it. In my scenerio I would want the books listed as they would indicate,falsely, that the book was much more common than thought.

Yet another great example of how CGC's policies are kept confidential, to the detriment of collectors everywhere. I agree this seems loony - CGC should of course list every comic they slab. But knowing CGC somewhat, nothing really suprises me anymore...

How about twisting the situation around. you own one of say ten copies of a book. By consistently submitting the book to CGC you pump up the census so the book is no longer rare. You then buy all the other available copies at big discount and send in the labels so they are removed from census.You now own several copies of a super rare book that you obtained at a great price. Nothing is destroyed except a dozen or so slabs.BTW there is an old detective story using the plot you mentioned,only with stamps. I think Columbo(with Peter Falk) adapted it for TV in the early 70s.

YEAH RIGHT!!!!

You are ASSUMING (incorrectly I might add) that everyone who owns comics books, does so ONLY for FINANCIAL reasons.

There would be no guarantee that all (or any) of the current owners would sell thier copies just because supposedly the book is not as rare as they thought.

Regarding destroying the books, as long as you own all of them, YOU HAVE A MONOPOLY. Therefore, I would say you could sell all the books to one owner for more than you could sell the one book (assuming you destoryed the others).

For someone to pay a ridiculous amount of money for the one and only copy of a book, they must have one huge desire to have it. Now, wouldn't you think that that person would actually pay you more money for 5 copies than one copy. I WOULD. Then, they could decide what to do with multiple copies (keep, sell or destroy).

What I also believe I have seen on a TV show, is when two different people own the same rare item. In that case, one person tries to destroy (by fire) the other person item, thereby making their's the only one left.

I would bet that each of your copies sells for the same high amount that the first one did. If someone said to me and documented only one known as opposed to 5 known I dont know how much it would matter. Pretty rare either way. I think they would pay about the same price as if there was only one known. The problem is getting proof requires no known way of finding out. If you have all 5 books you will never know how much only one copy would go for and if you destroy 4 of 5 you will never know what each of the 5 would have brought in price. Kind of a bad situation to be in as its an unknown in either case.

I would sell four copies, one at a time, lowest grade 1st. Leave enough leeway time in-between sales so as not to risk possible doubts/concerns over rarity. Keep the top copy.

Short answer (mathematically): Selling 1 of 1 copy will not = selling 4 of 5.

Rick

I would sell four copies, one at a time, lowest grade 1st. Leave enough leeway time in-between sales so as not to risk possible doubts/concerns over rarity. Keep the top copy.

Short answer (mathematically): Selling 1 of 1 copy will not = selling 4 of 5.

Rick

Wassup Rick? 893applaud-thumb.gif

GREGGY!!

How the Heck are ya? Getting tired of the "short-shorts" jokes yet?

Don't pay them any mind; what do non-DCers know about fashion, anyways? cool.gif

Rick

Greggy's been teased about worse things so who gives a rat's [!@#%^&^]!

Have I convinced you that that JLA graded 9.2 is better than the 9.0 because it has no nasty corner crease? 893naughty-thumb.gif

It's not just quality, but also quantity.

Yes the 9.0 has that creased LRC. But that's all it has. The 9.2 is noticeably off-centered, some interior pages are protruding, and the LLC of the back cover has a chip missing. Plus the page quality is better on the 9.0- WH vs OW.

But according to Mark & Steve, that one flaw has more importance than the other defects combined. I disagree. But I will keep the 9.2 for one reason...re-sale value.

When they add JLA to the Registry list, I plan to kick some gnarly butt!

Rick

It's not just quality, but also quantity.

Yes the 9.0 has that creased LRC. But that's all it has. The 9.2 is noticeably off-centered, some interior pages are protruding, and the LLC of the back cover has a chip missing. Plus the page quality is better on the 9.0- WH vs OW.

But according to Mark & Steve, that one flaw has more importance than the other defects combined. I disagree. But I will keep the 9.2 for one reason...re-sale value.

When they add JLA to the Registry list, I plan to kick some gnarly butt!

Rick

I will hack into the CGC computers and get all the serial numbers and kick yer arse with bogus books! 27_laughing.gif

Well my boy, all I can say is...Bring The BIG GUNS.

Check the registry now under Batman: The Dark Knight Returns & Crisis On Infinite Earths.

When(if) you can beat me there, that'll just be a warm-up to my Silver JLA set. sumo.gif

Now it's time for Monk.

Rick

Well my boy, all I can say is...Bring The BIG GUNS.

Check the registry now under Batman: The Dark Knight Returns & Crisis On Infinite Earths.

When(if) you can beat me there, that'll just be a warm-up to my Silver JLA set. sumo.gif

Now it's time for Monk.

Rick

You expect me to be impressed by those runs? Nothing that I couldn't put together in a month's time.

I am only working on 3 CGC runs so you are pretty safe...for now! flamed.gif

Nothing that I couldn't put together in a month's time.

Of course by that you mean out of your own personal collection, right? That's where mine came from. smile.gif Any boob with $$$ can buy somebody else's 9.8 moderns.

But my sets were made from pride and diligence. Just as I'm sure yours are.

Rick

PS: Remember Greggy, you saw me buy RAW JLAs from Mr Storms, so my JLA set will be done mostly without CGC's help (though I do appreciate their confirming my own grading capabilities grin.gif and consequently increasing it's value cloud9.gif)

Nothing that I couldn't put together in a month's time.

Of course by that you mean out of your own personal collection, right? That's where mine came from. smile.gif Any boob with $$$ can buy somebody else's 9.8 moderns.

But my sets were made from pride and diligence. Just as I'm sure yours are.

Rick

PS: Remember Greggy, you saw me buy RAW JLAs from Mr Storms, so my JLA set will be done mostly without CGC's help (though I do appreciate their confirming my own grading capabilities grin.gif and consequently increasing it's value cloud9.gif)

Screw you hippie! sumo.gif

Hippie? Oh yeah, right...my hair must have thrown you.But I forgive your SHORTs retort. I know how it feels to be on the SHORTs end of the stick (not really). But hey, you know what they say, "Better to be SHORTs than sorry!"

Rick

Hippie? Oh yeah, right...my hair must have thrown you.But I forgive your SHORTs retort. I know how it feels to be on the SHORTs end of the stick (not really). But hey, you know what they say, "Better to be SHORTs than sorry!"

Rick

sumo.gif