• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My trip to Doug's (aka ... the most amazing books I've ever seen in person)

82 posts in this topic

Er, how about "In addition to that," rather than "Instead of that," for those who won't be at WW Philly this year? poke2.gif

Nope, you gotta come to Philly to participate in the first forum dinner to (hopefully 893crossfingers-thumb.gif) gather together the original finders of many of the hobby's best Pedigree collections, along with the collectors that love them! acclaim.gif

Er, how about "In addition to that," rather than "Instead of that," for those who won't be at WW Philly this year? poke2.gif

Nope, you gotta come to Philly to participate in the first forum dinner to (hopefully 893crossfingers-thumb.gif) gather together the original finders of many of the hobby's best Pedigree collections, along with the collectors that love them! acclaim.gif

Wow, is that the "theme" Brian mentioned????hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Yes -- it will hopefully be great -- and I am going to start the organization very soon -- not going to worry about grudges or any sort of bad feelings -- and encourage everyone to come out and just celebrate the hobby and to put aside any differences or problems they may have... hopefully Borock will be helping me in this effort.

Yes -- it will hopefully be great -- and I am going to start the organization very soon -- not going to worry about grudges or any sort of bad feelings -- and encourage everyone to come out and just celebrate the hobby and to put aside any differences or problems they may have... hopefully Borock will be helping me in this effort.

And you told me to go to chicago and miss this poke2.gif

you just asked what the better show was, not the better dinner -- who knows, maybe Chicago will have a better dinner.

Scott,

Having the books sitting in boxes is no fun. I love sharing the lore and history of the books and the stories behind aquiring them. It is so much fun to share these kinds of stories, etc. That's what makes collecting so much fun. I got such a joy seeing Paul really appreciate and semi-drool over the Strange Tales as he LOVES the run. I got a kick knowing how much fun he was having seeing high grade copies of his favorite title.

So true. thumbsup2.gif I've been delighted to show my collection to the 2 board membes who've made it out to HK.

I'm contemplating writing an article about the different trades/purchases/post office meetings with Brulato/visits to Metropolis/dinners with Marnin Rosenberg, etc., etc that led to my collection. I just don't have the requisite time right now bit i'm going to do it as it has to be told.

popcorn.gif Would love to hear the history, Doug!

Wow, that's a heck of an effort, if you guys can pull it off. So who's going to be there from the finder side? Chuck (MH), Beerbohm (SF), Weist (WM), Roter (PC)?

you just asked what the better show was, not the better dinner -- who knows, maybe Chicago will have a better dinner.

Guess I will be taking the train to philly for this 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow, that's a heck of an effort, if you guys can pull it off. So who's going to be there from the finder side? Chuck (MH), Beerbohm (SF), Weist (WM), Roter (PC)?

I'm going to literally beg Chuck to come -- especially since I feel confident I will be able to see him in person at some point, introduce myself etc. Bob has been a supporter of this site, and I met and spoke with him in Baltimore, and I think this is an idea he would be behind.

I think I can get Fishler (Allentowns etc) to come, going to try for Roter (Pac Coasts), Vinny and Bob (Oaklands), Al Stoltz (Lost Valleys) but we'll see how this effort goes...

Gotta admit.. that is a great idea! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

To be fair, this is actually an idea Al Stoltz came up with, but I was asked to help execute it and put it together... which I will try to do -- with whatever help I can elist along the way.

hi.gif

Gotta admit.. that is a great idea! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

To be fair, this is actually an idea Al Stoltz came up with, but I was asked to help execute it and put it together... which I will try to do -- with whatever help I can elist along the way.

Hey, Brian, hi.gif

I would suggest enlisting Stephen Ritter who is working on the pedigree book as he will have the contact info for everybody. PM me if you want his email address.

Also, count me in for this; it sounds like a blast as always. thumbsup2.gif I went the last two years and highly recommend the WW Philly show and dinner to anyone who may be considering it.

I'm going to literally beg Chuck to come -- especially since I feel confident I will be able to see him in person at some point, introduce myself etc. Bob has been a supporter of this site, and I met and spoke with him in Baltimore, and I think this is an idea he would be behind.

I think I can get Fishler (Allentowns etc) to come, going to try for Roter (Pac Coasts), Vinny and Bob (Oaklands), Al Stoltz (Lost Valleys) but we'll see how this effort goes...

Fishler? Allentowns? What about Payette?

Tim,

I'm going to take down notes and stuff from now on so I don't forget all the vital little things. You would not believe how many times I had met Tom at the diners on Route 4 (there were 2) or the post office right before route 17 to make trades or buy books from him. Incredible stuff. If the local police had gotten wind of our meetings they would have surveyed us for possible drug trafficking, etc as it looked like we were meeting on drug deals.

So many unbelievable tales, like driving to and from collector Mike Grissmer's house (in Connecticutt) to make my Pacific Coast trades, or showing up at Marnin Rosenbergs house with a wad of cash to purchase the Slobodian copy of FF 1, driving by Metropolis' office and meeting Vinny downstairs to pick up the JIM 84 and 85 (both 9.4) from the Canadian Original Owner Collection or driving home from Greenhalgh's office with the 9 long boxes of the Winnipeg "leftover" BA and Modern stuff. Tales that must be told at some point. Might as well come out in Philly!!

Happy new year, Tim, btw.

Tales that must be told at some point. Might as well come out in Philly!!

Somebody bring a tape recorder or camcorder to Philly! Too bad you couldn't be at SD last year Doug, it would've been nice to meet in person finally.

Happy new year, Tim, btw.

And to you, Doug!

I just realized that WW Philly is the weekend before my birthday this year. I might have to make a b-day trip to Philly this year. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif