• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My trip to Doug's (aka ... the most amazing books I've ever seen in person)

82 posts in this topic

Groupshot2.jpg

Thanks for sharing your trip, your wife seems to be having more fun reading that Dr. strange book then she is holding those 2 grails..reading a comic is more fun? WTF?

j/k, anytime you can include the wife on a comic related trip is hallowed ground.

And am I alone in thinking it odd that there is a book about Tutankhamen lying side by side similar examples of known modern comic art treasures?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Doug, you dont have a hidden anti chamber that house's your 10.0's do you? I was under the impression you could not take it with you, I am now reconsidering that notion.

Now if I could only decide what comic to take with me to assure my happiness in the afterlife.

tongue.gif

Ze-

I'm going to be ill.

This board never fails to cement the fact that I'm a very small fish in a very large pond.

Small minnow on the big hook..., waiting for the big fish..., to end my misery..., just like me...., sorry.gif

yep... I think it's in the pic of Doug and I holding the 2 ST books actually. I saw all of the ST's from #101 to #134 or so. All neatly placed into 1 CGC short box. The most incredible box of books I've ever had next to me. Oops.. my bad... I didn't post the pic of Doug holding the #101 and myself holding the #110 as we sat next to each other. foreheadslap.gif

i remember seeing that pacific coast copy of 110 at san diego con 2000! it was CGC 9.6 and roter wanted $10,000 for it- at the time CGC still hadn't really taken off so i thought he was out of his mind! Guess i was wrong about that one! probably the nicest copy in existence!

humm i gotta say iam not really into graded comic s, but i have to admit those are some of the most fastastic lookin silvers i have ever seen in my life. iam very impressed, kudos on the pics.

larry ;]

And am I alone in thinking it odd that there is a book about Tutankhamen lying side by side similar examples of known modern comic art treasures?

"Honey, your going to make us look like nerds, let me put this book that I brought along for the trip in the picture"

"Honey, your going to make us look like nerds, let me put this book that I brought along for the trip in the picture"

27_laughing.gif

Bob,

I hear ya. I haven't played stickball in over 2 years now and am seriously jonesing for it. I miss that one on one pitcher vs. hitter confrontation. It's really the only thing I miss from living up North (save for the food).

I had just come back from my last CGC trip hence the sgraggly beard. I'm all shaven and squeaky clean now. Paul had come over after my 3 hour trip bringing back all those Reynolds comics. Do you remember those books?

Doug has some awesome books... The 9.8 ST #126 is drool worthy...

It's a shame the ST #110 9.6 has some glare on it in the photo. I love that book. I lust for that book. It's the finest copy in the world and way out of my price range... but one day... if I win the lottery... it will be mine!

My wife is a trooper when it comes to comics. i got her reading American Virgin from Vertigo and Girls from Image, but the hero stuff is much harder. i convinced her to read the Dr. Strange Dr. Doom graphic novel "Triumph and Torment" in exchange for me taking her to see "Notes on A Scandal" this Friday. She read the whole thing last night and I was very impressed.

Few things sexier than a woman reading comics...

Remember the Reynolds books? One of the first deals that Vinny and I went to look at. I was then a Vincent's Collectible's employee.

I got to go over each and every one of them. I'm assuming that you are referring to the Bronze age portion of the deal since many of the Silver books have long been scattered. Sadly this was not a collection where a pedigree was assigned or noted on the label. Was basically known as the RC collection in Vinny's database.

In addition to the Reynolds collection I was "one" of the graders of the Oaklands so if any of you guys are complaining about an Oakland grade feel free to send a comment to one of the few "Committee" graded collections. Vinny/Mike and I graded those books while sitting in Vinny's basement.

As with the Winnipegs I believe you bought the entire Bronze age portion of the Reynolds collection from Vinny Gulla. In hindsight both were very smart moves. I'm not sure if you've bought any other "Bronze Age" portions of what were primarily "Silver" age collections back in the 90's.