• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books Signed by Creators Who Didn't Work on That Issue

33 posts in this topic

What's our thinking on books signed by people who created characters but didn't actually work on an issue in question. I'll give some examples:

Stan Lee signing X-Men 58 (He didn't write that one, but he did create the X-Men)

Todd McFarlane signing some random Spawn issue that he didn't draw

etc.

I've always thought it was silly, but maybe I'm wrong?

tongue.gif

00ssgijoe21.jpg

$20 takeit.gif

I think It is not always a good idea. For example. It would be OK to have stan sign a copy of ASM 100, 200, 300, 400, or 500. Because theyare special issues and he created spiderman. But Why would you have stan sign a random issue of wolverine. He didn't create wolverine. That is one example. On Mcfarlane Why would you waste the signature on a book Todd didn't do when there are plenty of books he did do available. But Maybe say an issue of Marvel Zombies that pay homage to a cover he created would be OK. Or Say Denny Oneil signed a copy of batman 500 because he was the editor at the time and he is famous for writing batman stories and it was a special issue. The signature needs to be relevant. And it needs to be relevant to more than just you. Certain Creators have exceptions. For example It is hard to find high grade material for Joe Simon to sign So he could sign any issue of Captain America because he created captain america.

I personally look for the work they did in the book (the more they did the better I like it) and the only one I would consider buying that didn't do anything on the book, is Stan Lee thumbsup2.gif

oK So, would we say it would make sense for Stan to sign a random book he didn't write if he was the editor at the time (ex X-Men 58?)

I may have to start another thread, but I'm going to hope I get the responses here. Essentially, what has happened is that I have some SS opportunites and I absolutely can't figure out what to get signed. Here's the breakdown.

Could Get Stan Lee Sig On:

X-Men 12 VG+

X-Men 14 F+

Fantastic Four 48 VG+

Daredevil 7 VG-

Could Get Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Neal Adams Sig On:

X-Men 58 VF- (but Stan didn't write it... just the editor)

Could Get Stan Lee and Gene Colan Sig On:

Tales of Suspense (any number of issues)

I'm only going to get a sig on 1 of the 3 X-Men books in question. His sig carries such a high price I can only afford to get 2 books in total.

Then I still have to decide on a Tales of Suspense (with doubles) or another copy of one of the other books.

I love all these books so I think it's a question of where my money is best spent.

Basically it breaks down to three things:

1) It’s your money and your book.

2) Signature Series has become one of the most personal aspects of collecting comics. Some collector want nothing but 9.8’s. Some could care less about the grade it’s the signature that counts. Some like double signed, some triple. Some don’t feel that the inker is a big deal, some do. Some collectors think signing a book on the first page rather than the cover is wrong.

Some prefer to use their own books from their collection instead of buying books that are already signed and graded Signature Series.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to Signature Series. I believe it’s a personal preference of the collector .

3) And lastly, it was always my understanding that the individual that signed the book must have some sort of tie to that book or character. But this point would be better answered by someone at CGC.

When it works and works well, not much in this hobby brings a smile on a collectors face like a kick azz Signature Series book. smile.gif

Triples on SA books = Good

Quads are even better. Especially when it is on something other than a crappy Marvel

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

And even better than the quad's are the ones signed 15 times (yeah, I know, I'm a *spoon*)

We aren't talking about moders. he said SA books. If we want to throw around multiple sigs on moderns i will bring out my Superman/Batman 26 with 13 signatures in 9.8 insane.gif

Triples on SA books = Good

Quads are even better. Especially when it is on something other than a crappy Marvel

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

And even better than the quad's are the ones signed 15 times (yeah, I know, I'm a *spoon*)

We aren't talking about moders. he said SA books. If we want to throw around multiple sigs on moderns i will bring out my Superman/Batman 26 with 13 signatures in 9.8 insane.gif

Are you serious

OMG Craziness

Yeah, I concur about the SS being a personal thing. My problem is I have alot of books I love equally. And I can't afford to get them all signed. So I figure since I'd love ANY of those books signed, and since I'm paying for it, my next criteria would have to be what's going to boost value the most. (Because boosting love is already accounted for and money to get books signed is my bottleneck.)

But I can't figure out how you determine value of a SS book. And I think most people on this thread in particular have a better idea than me of that aspect of it.

Mind you, I'm not planning on selling whatever I get signed. But WHATEVER Stan "The Man" signs is going to be on my mantle hopefully my whole life.

Grrr I know what I have to do. I have to get Roy Thomas and Neal Adams to sign the X-Men 58. The Stan can sign one of the others and 1 ToS that Gene Colan can do. That should solve my problem, I guess.