• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Share my sorrow...weep for me...stop me from banging my head against the wall...

63 posts in this topic

I can't believe that copy only sold for $400, was it recently? That's barely over guide. That's been a seriously undervalued in guide book for years.

Still, one would hope 3X guide would have been enough.

I guess I won't be getting a copy anytime soon. frown.gif

I have had the same thing happen to me several times. It is very painful. One time I had the high bid by quite a lot, hit the refresh, 3seconds let and still a nice buffer so I quite watching since I had to go. When I got home I hopped on to see if the seller sent me the info for paying and I discovered OUTBID!!! Man was I pissed! Mine was a 1940 Superman puzzle I didn't have which took another year or so to finally get.

Also happened on a Batman book that I had to place my bid on and then go. Got outbid. In that case, I emailed the winner and paid him more for the book and ended up getting it.

I feel your pain ...

Don't feel bad- I got sniped on the Miracleman pages that were just up for sale. I put in a 4200 high bid, was safe by a grand...up until the last friggin minute. Final price: $4250. It makes me wish Ebay had a policy that extended auctions by 2 minutes if an auction gets sniped. That way the people on the wrong end of it at least have a chance to respond; seeing as how they'd get more fees and sellers could get higher prices that way, I'm surprised some kind of system like that hasn't been implemented.

Ah well...you win some, you lose some

Jeff, that sucks. Hang in there buddy , you'll get that book eventually. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif. I know you've been looking awhile for that book. If I see one on a Dealers site or Ebay I'll let you know & I know these guys will too.

So you wait years for a particular book to show up on eBay. Literally YEARS. Finally, it does, and it's a long week waiting for the auction's conclusion so you can throw in your bid, then wait patiently for that magic moment when the book arrives. The thrill of holding it in your unworthy hands after all this time!

Your precious is only a 4.5, and the very copy being auctioned last sold for about $400, so you make sure you've got the money ready in your Paypal account. Heck, you pad it to just over a grand to be sure!

The moment arrives. With just a minute to go, the bidding is at $725, but you have no fear as you enter your bid of 1,051.99. You're high bidder!

But all good stories have a twist at the end, and this one is no different. With 26 seconds to go, someone bids $1076.00! At first, you feel betrayed, screwed by fate, but then you realize...wait! There's still time! So you enter a bid of $1151.00 and hit enter. The "confirm your bid" screen comes up and you hit enter again. You watch the little blue bar make it's slow progression from left to right. When it's almost halfway there...DISASTER! Internet Explorer suddenly closes! With no provocation whatsoever! You hadn't cursed it or anything!

Still, you're unsure if you're bid went through or not, so you furiously re-open Internet Explorer and race to My eBay, where the full brunt of the tragedy quickly becomes apparent. Mocio123, your eBay nemesis for all things Nedor, has beat you once again.

There is no joy in Mudville tonight. Only sorrow, and pain, and a blister on your big toe from the three set tennis match you won 6-7, 6-4, 7-5.

But make no mistake, the next time a cover comes along for a first issue, a war cover, a Hitler cover, a Tojo cover, a Schomburg cover, all these things wrapped up in a pretty plastic case, I'll be there...oh yes, I'll be there.

Share my sorrow...

Wonder Comics #1 CGC 4.5 off-white pages

Been there. Done that. sleeping.gif

Even though I'm not out there sniping too much, every time I see a book one of you guys posts, I realize it's not on the market for me for another 10-20 years.

Feel my pain Skybolt and many others

if you had used an online sniping service with a 4 second buffer, you likely would have won the book for less than 1100 bux, man.

Yep BidNip is what I use.

And, I never move money into PayPal, I just use it like an ATM card, if I want to pay for something, PayPal does an automatic withdrawal from my bank account.

Oh yeah...sorry about the lose.

BidNip is cloud9.gif

I love the fact that it is web-based. I used to use Merlin Software's Auction Magic, which worked fine -- except that every time ebay made some slight revision to their website, you had to download a patch from Merlin Software and your snipe software wouldn't work until then. Sometimes you wouldn't find out a patch was needed until some of your snipes didn't go through. With BidNip, since it is web based, that is never a problem. And if you don't win the auction, the snipe costs you nothing! And you get five free snipes as a trial when you sign up. Once you're through the trial, snipes cost between 16 and 25 cents each and if you don't win the auction, you don't pay a snipe fee.

Very nice. thumbsup2.gif

I love how Schomburg composed this cover. The cheering soldiers, the fighter pilot doing a fly-by, the Grim Reaper literally dragging the Nazi and Japanese flags through the dirt, Hitler and Hirohito(or is that Tojo?) looking on in disgust.

Great stuff. hail.gif

if you had used an online sniping service with a 4 second buffer, you likely would have won the book for less than 1100 bux, man.

How do you know the other guy didn't also have a snipe set that would have beaten out Jeff's snipe? Why does everyone who uses a sniping service assume they're the only one using a sniping service?

Very nice. thumbsup2.gif

I love how Schomburg composed this cover. The cheering soldiers, the fighter pilot doing a fly-by, the Grim Reaper literally dragging the Nazi and Japanese flags through the dirt, Hitler and Hirohito(or is that Tojo?) looking on in disgust.

Great stuff. hail.gif

It's Hirohito - Both had glasses and a mustache, but Tojo was bald. gossip.gif

So you wait years for a particular book to show up on eBay. Literally YEARS. Finally, it does, and it's a long week waiting for the auction's conclusion so you can throw in your bid, then wait patiently for that magic moment when the book arrives. The thrill of holding it in your unworthy hands after all this time!

Your precious is only a 4.5, and the very copy being auctioned last sold for about $400, so you make sure you've got the money ready in your Paypal account. Heck, you pad it to just over a grand to be sure!

The moment arrives. With just a minute to go, the bidding is at $725, but you have no fear as you enter your bid of 1,051.99. You're high bidder!

But all good stories have a twist at the end, and this one is no different. With 26 seconds to go, someone bids $1076.00! At first, you feel betrayed, screwed by fate, but then you realize...wait! There's still time! So you enter a bid of $1151.00 and hit enter. The "confirm your bid" screen comes up and you hit enter again. You watch the little blue bar make it's slow progression from left to right. When it's almost halfway there...DISASTER! Internet Explorer suddenly closes! With no provocation whatsoever! You hadn't cursed it or anything!

Still, you're unsure if you're bid went through or not, so you furiously re-open Internet Explorer and race to My eBay, where the full brunt of the tragedy quickly becomes apparent. Mocio123, your eBay nemesis for all things Nedor, has beat you once again.

There is no joy in Mudville tonight. Only sorrow, and pain, and a blister on your big toe from the three set tennis match you won 6-7, 6-4, 7-5.

But make no mistake, the next time a cover comes along for a first issue, a war cover, a Hitler cover, a Tojo cover, a Schomburg cover, all these things wrapped up in a pretty plastic case, I'll be there...oh yes, I'll be there.

Share my sorrow...

Oh sure this has happened to me and thats how I learned. If i really want something, in the last 30 seconds I completely blow the bid away! If the top bids a 1000 , ill blow it away with 3000 shocking the underbidders who dont have enough time to catch up.I have never lost since doing this, and ive been lucky not to drastically overpay. Only when I really want it does this apply.

Share my sorrow...

Oh sure this has happened to me and thats how I learned. If i really want something, in the last 30 seconds I completely blow the bid away! If the top bids a 1000 , ill blow it away with 3000 shocking the underbidders who dont have enough time to catch up.I have never lost since doing this, and ive been lucky not to drastically overpay. Only when I really want it does this apply.

893whatthe.gif Note to self...........don't bid against action1kid!

Share my sorrow...

893whatthe.gif Note to self...........don't bid against action1kid!

sign-funnypost.gif

Share my sorrow...

I just lived a similar nightmare a few weeks ago on a much coveted Centaur, that our own lovable Win sniped me on. I wept, then forgave him and all was well. The following week I sniped him on a different Centaur, so balance was restored. shy.gifcloud9.gif

I have exactly the same technique! Only replace "$1000" with "$100", "I'll blow it away with $3000" with "I'll hope to get lucky with $105.50", and "I have never lost since doing this" with "I lose all the time doing this". thumbsup2.gif