• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW price for a Steranko Marvelmania poster

14 posts in this topic

These posters are hard to come by, though. It is an awesome image by Steranko that ranks among his best Cap illustrations. The price is still pretty surprising.

What a great display piece -- I had not noticed that he had done a poster before.

These posters are hard to come by, though. It is an awesome image by Steranko that ranks among his best Cap illustrations. The price is still pretty surprising.

What a great display piece -- I had not noticed that he had done a poster before.

You clearly didn't look at the ads inside late 60s Marvels! 893naughty-thumb.gif

1 of Steranko's finest Capt America/Bucky and Red Skull/Hydra images. Guess, I wholesaled my VF used poster on eBay a few years back for a mere $187 right after CBM featured high prices realized for them especially the Romita Spider-man Marvel Mania poster. Choice ! headbang.gif

I was tracking this auction and it was beyond bizarre. The only posters I've seen break $500 are the two Third Eye promo posters, although I can imagine the large Spidey Ditko poster in nice shape getting up there as well. This guy had the Medusa Third Eye selling for $510, and it is typically a $50-$150 item. This Cap poster has never broken $200 to my knowledge, and it was really only two bidders duking it out once it got past $167. Maybe there are new collectors getting into this or... confused-smiley-013.gif

The price is surprising given that it had pinholes and tape. I also think this poster had to be specially ordered whereas the other "main" posters could come as a set of 8. So it might be a little harder to come by. I bought a set back in 1999 and broke it up to keep the Spiderman poster. All were basically NM/MT with no flaws.

Here are the estimated prices I received in 2002.

Steranko Cap $600

Kirby Cap $500

FF $300

Doom $500

Hulk $450

Black Knight $200

Surfer $500

Thor $400

Spidey ??? ( I saw a beater sell for ~$200)

I'm amazed by the $1200 price... wow.

The poster is scarce, but when they do sell at auction, I've seen them in the $200 range with minor tears, pinholes, etc. I could see a NM copy selling for multiples of that, however the recent copy on eBay had a tear and pinholes.

It's definitely a highly desirable Steranko piece because of the great image, but wasn't this image also used for the cover of Fantastic Fanzine?

These are some of my favorite Marvelmania items!

Excellent copies of these posters command a premium, to be sure, but they tend to hang in the $150-$400 range for the most part. Posters with tears & tape often go for $35-100 depending upon the image & damage.

I sold my dupe Steranko Cap poster to Mike Zeck a few years ago!

Here's my Amazing Spiderman poster I love to show off. I'll also ask again if anyone has any info on the labels at the bottom. This one shows a date of 1969 but I know the same posters have dates of 1970. I believe the 1970 versions are more common but its hard to get a real handle on it.

asm1969.jpg

asm1969label.jpg

asm1969left.jpg

asm1969right.jpg

Okay, I just checked my copy of FF #107, which is where I first saw those posters advertised many, many years ago. (So many years...) They were offered in a set of 4 w/ 2 other posters of Doctor Doom & Hulk. Looks like Kirby on the Doom one and Herb Trimpe on Hulk.

Sweet... headbang.gif