• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New grading company starting up?

75 posts in this topic

Over on the Ebay Board, there is a person with the Ebay ID calamerica-collectibles who has been discussing starting his own grading company. His name is Jack Remington and he lives in Ventura, CA. Does anybody know this guy? Has anyone heard any rumors about this? At first I didn't think he was serious, but lately he's really been pushing the idea, and now it sounds as if his plans for a new grading company are a definite go. A few of his quotes just from today, after reading about the CGC/OPG grading announcement:

"(CGC adopting OPG's grading standards) might force my hand to move quickly - I was trying to drag this project out until December for January 2004 release, but my first instinct is to move fast here...."

"I have 2 immediate choices here: try to sell off as many CGC's here on eBay or crack the slabs and grade the comics myself and make a go of it that way - and if the 2nd choice is employed and I find restoration, I am gonna be mighty mad...and I am not just blowing smoke either. I back up what I say almost all the time..."

"So I will be calling Steve Borock next week and ask him myself - of course I will start out nice, and if he asks me about MY plans I won't be bashful and gonna tell him yes, I have had some workings and now I will be able to tell him WHY I am making these moves but I also understand that no one wants competition."

So, anyone, is this serious? Can anyone add any info? Is this the "Global" company rumor we've been hearing about?

I don't care how many grading companies are popping up,I'll still submit to CGC,there the only ones i can trust.I don't know how the others grade,nor am i about to submit a thousand dollar book to CGGCPSS grading company that just started 2 days ago.Just my Opinion

First, let me say that I do not presently own ANY books that have been professionally graded, though I have many that are slated for the process...

As for myself, I think that CGC adopting Overstreets standards will be a boon to whomever is the first competitor out of the gate, PROVIDED that the start-up's grading standards are as strict as the early days of the CGC (before the change).

It won't be long at all before the serious-collector population KNOWS who's standards are the toughest, and whomever finds themselve in second place will have a tough road ahead.

-Joe

First, let me say that I do not presently own ANY books that have been professionally graded, though I have many that are slated for the process...

As for myself, I think that CGC adopting Overstreets standards will be a boon to whomever is the first competitor out of the gate, PROVIDED that the start-up's grading standards are as strict as the early days of the CGC (before the change).

It won't be long at all before the serious-collector population KNOWS who's standards are the toughest, and whomever finds themselve in second place will have a tough road ahead.

-Joe

Well Joe,

If you had a CGC 9.4 Amazing Fantasty 15 White Pages and some grading company comes along and is tougher than CGC, you going to crack that slab on your AF 15 9.4 to send it in to another grading company? I know I wouldn't 893naughty-thumb.gif

But does anybody know this guy? Is he an Overstreet Advisor? Has he run a store for years? What are his qualifications for starting a grading company? Is he a well known collector? Who are his financial backers?

I think this guy is just talking out of his 893censored-thumb.gif don't take him too serouisly unless you start seeing graded books by him on the market place,until then,don't sweat it

BOC:

Same here. I'm sticking with CGC all the way...

Sound logic!! I'm sure that when cars first started appearing in the streets of the US, most horse and buggy owners felt the same way, "I never drove a car, but I'm sticking with this horse anyway. The car must be inherently evil and there's no poop to clean up, my favorite pastime, plus, you can beat a dead horse over and over again".

As the Forum's leading advocate of slabbed comics, you're not even interested in seeing what these other services have to offer, or if they can improve upon the "horse"?

Throughout history, folks have introduced improvements from time to time over the way things have been previously done. They see a flaw in a design or way of doing things and offer a better solution. It's called progress. Without it, we'd all still be living like the Amish, and you'd be running out to the barn, squatting beside your horse, everytime you moved your bowels instead of running to the bathroom.

Competition in the slabbed comic market is fantastic. It will force CGC to do better & improve. I believe they will & I believe in their service. They're not the panacea for the comic book industry, but they're not as bad as their detractors make them out to be.

Competition in the slabbed comic market is fantastic. It will force CGC to do better & improve. I believe they will & I believe in their service. They're not the panacea for the comic book industry, but they're not as bad as their detractors make them out to be.

Yea, and they can work on thier price too 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I definitely agree with you! My only pet-peeve with CGC is that no weight seems to be stressed on non-wear flaws, those incurred by the printing and manufacturing process. Miscuts, slanted construction, high staples (way in on the front cover), print and roller lines and indentations, printing crease, etc. Elements that although are not technically wear, still have a marked effect in detracting from the comic's appearance, sometimes even considerably more of an effect than a crease from handling wear!

Many of these flaws just don't show up on scans that well and as internet buyers, the images are the only tool we have to gauge our bids accordingly. A more detailed label, and a service that does detract points for "factory wear" could be extremely beneficial in that respect.

Miscuts, slanted construction, high staples (way in on the front cover), print and roller lines

Can you please tell what are print and roller lines are?

Printing defects such in which the printing roller momentarily receives no ink or the wrong ink causing a streak or blank spot. Sometimes called a ink or print smudge. Alternatively, I have seen roller lines considered the intermittent indentations or wrinkles on the cover when the ink roller caught some of the paper .

Tomega

But does anybody know this guy? Is he an Overstreet Advisor? Has he run a store for years? What are his qualifications for starting a grading company? Is he a well known collector? Who are his financial backers?

He's just an Average Joe Collector like you and me. smirk.gif

Miscuts, slanted construction, high staples (way in on the front cover), print and roller lines

Can you please tell what are print and roller lines are?

Printing defects such in which the printing roller momentarily receives no ink or the wrong ink causing a streak or blank spot. Sometimes called a ink or print smudge. Alternatively, I have seen roller lines considered the intermittent indentations or wrinkles on the cover when the ink roller caught some of the paper .

Tomega

27_laughing.gif Man,you know nothing about printing...not to insult you or anything.But I just had to hear your answer. Here's the real reason why.

Printing defects such in which the printing roller momentarily receives no ink or the wrong ink causing a streak or blank spot

The only time a a roller can get no ink is when the roller is set wrong,or the ink fountain has run dry.Since comics and most everything else is 4 color (black,blue,red and yellow) you would see a big streak of a missing color on some books like No Red on half the cover for example,But what your thinking of a "streak" of no ink,That would simple be cause by a Plate wearing out,a long line of a missing color. If the line is yellow,it's most likely the red plate that is wearing out and the image will fade.

As far as a blank spot,I'm not sure if you mean if the blank spot is all white or if some color is missing,if color is missing and it's a spot.It's a "blanket smash" The blanket is made of a rubber and can have nicks and such on the surface causeing it to not print the desired color in that spot,If you see a red spot in a purple area,then it's a blanket smash in the blue.

Alternatively, I have seen roller lines considered the intermittent indentations or wrinkles on the cover when the ink roller caught some of the paper .

As far as wrinkles on the cover,which are called by collectors "printer's crease" The pressman doesn't cause these wrinkles or the press itself,Paper comes on a giant roll,like 45 inches in diamanter.The wrinkles are on the paper before it even gets touched by one drop of ink,just the way it is with some kinds of paper,paper doesn't go through rollers,they go through the blankets and don't get caught,if it does,the web breaks.

Getting to the indentations on some books,that could be caused by anything when the paper is running through the press or something inthe folder is too tight,like the nips or some pipe rollers. Hope this helps

Sound logic!! I'm sure that when cars first started appearing in the streets of the US, most horse and buggy owners felt the same way, "I never drove a car, but I'm sticking with this horse anyway. The car must be inherently evil and there's no poop to clean up, my favorite pastime, plus, you can beat a dead horse over and over again".

Hammer! Welcome back. Where've you been? wink.gif