• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New grading company starting up?

75 posts in this topic

Tom

forget it, your hopless and i just got off a 12 hour shift..i'm not about to give a lesson in printing right about now..DiceX works in prepress,I work in the pressroom.I think you might be getting at this "extra color" your talking about is sometimes 4 colors are added to black and you can see and extra color underneath it cause the register is off..no big deal,Tell you what Post some pics of books that have printing defects on them and i'lll tell you whats goin on,cause your no making any sense right now

Ok CGC, watch out, Calamerica plans on calling you today with the "bad news" -

Today's Ebay post "I am going to call CGC later today - I am not expecting that phone call to be a good one - I am sure they are ready for me and they have got to know what I am up to - they read these Boards and I won't evade their inquiries - as I have nothing to hide..."

Tom

forget it, your hopless and i just got off a 12 hour shift..i'm not about to give a lesson in printing right about now..DiceX works in prepress,I work in the pressroom.I think you might be getting at this "extra color" your talking about is sometimes 4 colors are added to black and you can see and extra color underneath it cause the register is off..no big deal,Tell you what Post some pics of books that have printing defects on them and i'lll tell you whats goin on,cause your no making any sense right now

Well, I think I made perfect sense and so did some other forum members. I do not need a lesson, most of what I was saying can be explained by a myriad of web sites. If you are not sure what I am talking about then it is obvious we have no common frame of reference at this level and are looking at it from two different ends of the spectrum. Suffice to say, my point is indeed abundantly clear and I can tell from the change in your writing that you did get off a long shift, so let's just go back to the direction the thread was taking in reference to CGC.

Tom

Today's Ebay post "I am going to call CGC later today - I am not expecting that phone call to be a good one - I am sure they are ready for me and they have got to know what I am up to - they read these Boards and I won't evade their inquiries - as I have nothing to hide..."

laughing.gif Steve & the CGC boys are shaking in their boots!

And WHY is he going to call CGC exactly? If he wants to start a grading company he doesn't need their permission. Does he expect them to give him tips and pointers? As I said, he's just an average collector. I've been reading his posts on ebay for over a year - I hung out there before coming to this forum. Good for him though if he actually manages to create a start-up grading company. That will be the easy part. smile.gif

Would you think erroneous trapping is confused with an ink smudge? Is it an error with the knock out or more of the overprinting? Man, are you as confused as I am? Granted, overprinting was mainly for smaller objects on a multi layered plane but surely you can see how this applies especially to choke and spread . Speaking of choke and spread, blank spaces of ink are usually due to minor misalignments in the printing press and improper choke and spread not "blanket smash" as you indicated( which, correct me if I am wrong, has been all but elimintated by high packing ,hard backed or steel back offset blankets ( since they are needed for full bleeds.))

I operate a printing press and I'm not sure what either of you are talking about! confused.gif Some of the defects mentioned are the fault of pre-press (spread and choke). frown.gifSmashed blankets (low spots) indeed cause lack of ink on an image. This can be corrected by the pressman. An overrun is when more copies than needed are printed. smile.gifAn overprint is one color on top of another. Paper NEVER touches the ink rollers (not on purpose anyway - then you've got a mess). mad.gifCreases can be caused by the paper misfeading between the blanket and impression cylinder. tongue.gifIt's all semantics and without actually seeing an example defect it's hard to pinpoint the cause. Most defects can have several reasons for them. I'm just having fun with ya' grin.gif

And WHY is he going to call CGC exactly?

Yeah, that's what I want to know! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I was hoping maybe whoever he talked to at CGC would post here with that info.

I've been reading his posts on ebay for over a year.

Ohhh, then you know how he is.

Would you think erroneous trapping is confused with an ink smudge? Is it an error with the knock out or more of the overprinting? Man, are you as confused as I am? Granted, overprinting was mainly for smaller objects on a multi layered plane but surely you can see how this applies especially to choke and spread . Speaking of choke and spread, blank spaces of ink are usually due to minor misalignments in the printing press and improper choke and spread not "blanket smash" as you indicated( which, correct me if I am wrong, has been all but elimintated by high packing ,hard backed or steel back offset blankets ( since they are needed for full bleeds.))

I operate a printing press and I'm not sure what either of you are talking about! confused.gif Some of the defects mentioned are the fault of pre-press (spread and choke). frown.gifSmashed blankets (low spots) indeed cause lack of ink on an image. This can be corrected by the pressman. An overrun is when more copies than needed are printed. smile.gifAn overprint is one color on top of another. Paper NEVER touches the ink rollers (not on purpose anyway - then you've got a mess). mad.gifCreases can be caused by the paper misfeading between the blanket and impression cylinder. tongue.gifIt's all semantics and without actually seeing an example defect it's hard to pinpoint the cause. Most defects can have several reasons for them. I'm just having fun with ya' grin.gif

Thank you ghoulaid for explaining this simply..I was going crazy trying to explain it to someone who isn't in printing. Kevin

No catfight, just a little annoyance , no harm no foul. At least not yet, he has not responded. grin.gif However, I think I made my point so this should be the end of it. Besides any more talk about is just going to bore people to tears and make their eyes bleed. ( as garthgantu wryly alluded to.) Don't make me start getting into more of the program end of printing/graphics - once I start talking about Gamma, jaggies, gain compensation and densitometers, you will want to kill yourself or kill me. wink.gif So let's just go back to the direction of this thread questioning "non-wear flaws, those incurred by the printing and manufacturing process" and will CGC take them more into consideration. That is a valid question, I would think they would have to if they truly adopt Overstreet's guidelines and want to bolster their legitimacy. Who knows. Right now they are the 800 lb gorilla who can do whatever they want. Perhaps these upstart grading companies will make CGC consider changes.

Tom

First of all...Anytime you want to talk printing tech, let me know. I'd be glad to share in the discussion.

Second...I agree that printing and binding defects should be looked at when grading. Most of the defects that cause me to pass on a book are printing defects. Miswraps, Skewed, Paper Wrinkles, Dog Ears, Out of Registration, Distributor Stripes, etc...I can't stand books with printing defects. These are much more of an eye sore to me than a little handling wear.

Third...Kevin knows what he's talking about. He lives the process every day. Don't take his comments so offensively. He wouldn't intentionally tell you something that was incorrect.

I'm sure you know something about printing, but I'd be willing to bet you don't know it all. If you want to learn from other people's experiences, all you have to do is listen. Don't jump on the mountain and cast stones at him because he misunderstood your comments.

Kev is a good source of info.

Let's all try having a conversation instead of thinking everything is an ego attack.

And no...I'm not picking on you. I value your comments just like I do everyone else's.

No catfight, just a little annoyance , no harm no foul. At least not yet, he has not responded. grin.gif However, I think I made my point so this should be the end of it. Besides any more talk about is just going to bore people to tears and make their eyes bleed. ( as garthgantu wryly alluded to.) Don't make me start getting into more of the program end of printing/graphics - once I start talking about Gamma, jaggies, gain compensation and densitometers, you will want to kill yourself or kill me. wink.gif So let's just go back to the direction of this thread questioning "non-wear flaws, those incurred by the printing and manufacturing process" and will CGC take them more into consideration. That is a valid question, I would think they would have to if they truly adopt Overstreet's guidelines and want to bolster their legitimacy. Who knows. Right now they are the 800 lb gorilla who can do whatever they want. Perhaps these upstart grading companies will make CGC consider changes.

Tom

First of all...Anytime you want to talk printing tech, let me know. I'd be glad to share in the discussion.

Second...I agree that printing and binding defects should be looked at when grading. Most of the defects that cause me to pass on a book are printing defects. Miswraps, Skewed, Paper Wrinkles, Dog Ears, Out of Registration, Distributor Stripes, etc...I can't stand books with printing defects. These are much more of an eye sore to me than a little handling wear.

Third...Kevin knows what he's talking about. He lives the process every day. Don't take his comments so offensively. He wouldn't intentionally tell you something that was incorrect.

I'm sure you know something about printing, but I'd be willing to bet you don't know it all. If you want to learn from other people's experiences, all you have to do is listen. Don't jump on the mountain and cast stones at him because he misunderstood your comments.

Kev is a good source of info.

Let's all try having a conversation instead of thinking everything is an ego attack.

And no...I'm not picking on you. I value your comments just like I do everyone else's.

Take as you will, I felt Kevin was being condescending and started out by saying I know nothing about printing, obviously he was wrong. You get what you give. Ego attack or not, it was not nice and , as with me , his knowledge is not beyond reproach; as shown by example. I am absolutely sure he knows quite a bit more about his end printing then me, I as I said I hoped it was true in my posts, but instead of telling someone they do not know anything they are talking about you should perhaps look at what was written a bit more intuitively. I am sure he is a nice guy and I have nothing bad to say about Kevin, or you, and we move on to bigger and better things. I appreciate your comments.

Tomega

Take as you will, I felt Kevin was being condescending and started out by saying I know nothing about printing, obviously he was wrong. You get what you give. Ego attack or not, it was not nice and , as with me , his knowledge is not beyond reproach; as shown by example. I am absolutely sure he knows quite a bit more about his end printing then me, I as I said I hoped it was true in my posts, but instead of telling someone they do not know anything they are talking about you should perhaps look at what was written a bit more intuitively. I am sure he is a nice guy and I have nothing bad to say about Kevin, or you, and we move on to bigger and better things. I appreciate your comments.

Looks like no one can give you a hard time then 893naughty-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif..all this talk about you guys giving each other hard times, what type of thread have I stumbled upon blush.gifooo.giflaugh.gif

With a name like Lockjaw you should know what kind of thread you've stumbled upon and I'm sure you'll fit right in. makepoint.gif