• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Keys And Where to Go?

34 posts in this topic

So I decided to roll my collection over into Silver Age Marvel Keys (and other GA books that catch my fancy.) This is great because I'm getting books I've wanted ever since I was a kid. I've read Fantastic Four 48 2 times since I got it a couple days ago. Similar joy from the others.

Keys I Have (There's some Bronze Age sneaking in here):

Amazing Spider-Man 149 (1st Clone "ugh")

Daredevil 7 (1st Red Costume)

Fantastic Four 48 (1st Silver Surfer and Galactus)

Marvel Spotlight 32 (1st Spider-Woman)

X-Men 12 (1st Juggernaut)

X-Men 14 (1st Sentinels)

X-Men 58 (1st Havok in Costume) -- thanks Pirate!

Tales of Suspense 69 (1st Titanium Man) -- thanks BuckeyeChaos!

Tales of Suspense 79 (1st AIM and Cosmic Cube)

Tales of Suspense 97 (1st Whiplash)

So, I can see from this there's a definite focus on X-Men and Tales of Suspense keys. But other Marvel greats (like the DD7 and FF48) are also there. Where do I go next? Any suggestions? I'm thinking of maybe hitting up an ASM46 (1st Shocker) but maybe there's an X-Key I should hit first? (X-Men 1, obviously, but I'll never have the bank for that.)

Thoughts on good "classic" books to go after?

And yeah, I already want to get nicer copies of DD7 and FF48. Greedy, I guess.

So I decided to roll my collection over into Silver Age Marvel Keys (and other GA books that catch my fancy.) This is great because I'm getting books I've wanted ever since I was a kid. I've read Fantastic Four 48 2 times since I got it a couple days ago. Similar joy from the others.

X-Men 14 (1st Sentinels)

So, I can see from this there's a definite focus on X-Men and Tales of Suspense keys. But other Marvel greats (like the DD7 and FF48) are also there. Where do I go next? Any suggestions? I'm thinking of maybe hitting up an ASM46 (1st Shocker) but maybe there's an X-Key I should hit first? (X-Men 1, obviously, but I'll never have the bank for that.)

Hmm why not x-men 101 (first appearance of Phoenix) ?

X-Men 14 (1st Sentinels)

Some of my faves for starters...

Avengers #57 (1st Vision) - (58 origin of Vision)

X-Men #10 (1st SA Kazar & Zabu)

X-Men #'s 60, 61-1st Sauron (Both great Adams art!)

ASM # 42 1st full app MJ

ASM #50 1st Kingpin

ASM 121-122 "Deaths" of Gwen & GG)

FF#12 - 1st Thing/Hulk battle

FF#51 - CLASSIC STORY (This Man, This Monster)

FF#52 - 1st Black Panther

FFAnnual #6 - 1st Annhilus

Conan #23-24 - 1st Red Sonja

For the REALLY vintage issues, there's always the option of the comic collections on DVD ROM, that way you can read the grails until you actually get one...

oooo Avengers 57-- there's a goodie! ASM 121 is probably my all-time grail. I've just never found a copy for a price I like at that time.

Good suggestions!

Thanks!!! I have lots of faves, too little time!

Well, clearly the Silver Surfer 1 is on my list as it's in the "wtb" in my sig. And I have a lead on one as we speak! (Putting those wtbs in the sig works really well.)

I was kinda ignoring the rest of the Galactus trilogy as it isn't a 1st issue or 1st appearance. Now the Silver Surfer 4 is possible, because I think somebody appears for the first time in it. But I don't know whow! (If you have a sec, please enlighten me because that might need to be something to add to the list!)

Here's a few more TOS issues (I'm sure you already have them on your want list though Rob)

40 1st gold armour

48 1st red and gold armour

50 1st Mandarin

52 1st Black Widow

57 1st Hawkeye

Yeah those are all on the list, no doubt. 57 is at the top of that list right now. Hawkeye is cool. I have the 64 with his 2nd app. already and love it.

Btw, I think a lot of the TOS issues are good values right now. I'm after them myself. Trying to complete a high-grade run in fact. It should be a pretty long process though.

Here is the 57 I picked up recently. I had been looking for a copy I was satisfied with for quite a while. Found this cgc 9.2 and was very happy.

TalesofSuspense-57.jpg

Btw, I think a lot of the TOS issues are good values right now. I'm after them myself. Trying to complete a high-grade run in fact. It should be a pretty long process though.

Here is the 57 I picked up recently. I had been looking for a copy I was satisfied with for quite a while. Found this cgc 9.2 and was very happy.

TalesofSuspense-57.jpg

That's a beauty. Congratulations on the pickup. Did you have an undercopy by any chance that you're looking to part with?

Is 64 his 3rd appearance? Bah. Well, regardless, I love the issue.

Thanks. I thought it looked pretty nice for a 9.2 (not that 9.2s don't generally look great).

And sorry, no undercopy. I generally hold out until I find a copy I'm satisfied with so I don't upgrade much.

Btw, Hawkeye's second (2nd) appearance was in issue 60.

Oh BTW I forgot to add ASM #90 - It's the first death of a Spidey major supporting character since Uncle Ben in AF15...Actually, I think it was the first SA MARVEL death of a major supporting non hero/villian character...I could be wrong, though, my comic history/lore data banks in my head are relatively rusty right now

JIM #89 Classic cover and in my top 2 of all time

Surfer #4 A must have! Again a top 2 cover for me.

X men #4 is a fantastic key with the intro of many villains and heros and a killer cover (not nearly as expensive as #1)

Just a few that come to mind.

Oh, and all Avengers covers pre #20 are stunning to behold when they have nice cover whites and inks. Kirby put some real effort and heart into those issues. Issues #3-5, 9 and 12 come to mind. If i end up collecting a new run, Avengers #1-20 will probably be it.

R.