• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - How Do I Ship Overseas With Paypal Without Getting Screwed?

17 posts in this topic

For Paypal seller protection, among other things, one must:

"You must have trackable online proof of delivery from an independent shipper to the address on the “Transaction Details” page."

I understand I could probably send Fed-Ex and meet the requirement. But, what USPS service offers this going from the U.S. to Canada? Or, the U.S. to anywhere overseas?

"You must have trackable online proof of delivery from an independent shipper to the address on the “Transaction Details” page."

I understand I could probably send Fed-Ex and meet the requirement. But, what USPS service offers this going from the U.S. to Canada? Or, the U.S. to anywhere overseas?

As far as I know the USPS has no service that provides proof of delivery overseas or in Canada.

As far as I know the USPS has no service that provides proof of delivery overseas or in Canada.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to see if I was missing anything.

Looks like it will be either UPS or Fed-Ex.

I've been burned by a chargeback once before, and I've learned to follow the Paypal rules to the letter or you will get screwed. I have visions of the item getting stuck in customs, the buyer filing a non-delivery complaint, and I have no leg to stand on with Paypal.

Global Express and Air Parcel will insure for hundreds of dollars, wouldn't they need some sort of confirmation of receipt (or non-receipt?). How could they insure without anything like that?

If you're in the US, Paypal will not extend their seller protection to ANY international sales. You are on your own.

I know that this is the other way around but I had the following experience a few years ago.

I purchased a large run of Marvel Two in One comics from a seller in the USA.

Paid for them via Paypal US$187.00

The books never filled acomplaint via Paypal. They wrote back to me telling me that the maximum time 60 or 90 days??? had elapsed but please tell them my story.

I indicated that the 60 or 90 day timeline was not reasonable because it takes roughly 3 months for a surface mail package to reach Australia from the USA and I had allowed a few more weeks for late delivery.

About 2 months later I received an email from Paypal telling me that the full amount had just been refunded to my Paypal acccount.

I have to sign for most of the packages that I receive from the USA.

I am sure that USPS insured parcel post offers this as my local post office requires me to sign for the package & they scan a barcode on the package to confirm its arrival.

Russ...

If you're in the US, Paypal will not extend their seller protection to ANY international sales. You are on your own.

I know that this is the other way around but I had the following experience a few years ago.

I purchased a large run of Marvel Two in One comics from a seller in the USA.

Paid for them via Paypal US$187.00

The books never filled acomplaint via Paypal. They wrote back to me telling me that the maximum time 60 or 90 days??? had elapsed but please tell them my story.

I indicated that the 60 or 90 day timeline was not reasonable because it takes roughly 3 months for a surface mail package to reach Australia from the USA and I had allowed a few more weeks for late delivery.

About 2 months later I received an email from Paypal telling me that the full amount had just been refunded to my Paypal acccount.

I have to sign for most of the packages that I receive from the USA.

I am sure that USPS insured parcel post offers this as my local post office requires me to sign for the package & they scan a barcode on the package to confirm its arrival.

Russ...

Ditto, but some packages they don't get me to sign for.

Wrong!

As long as you ship to a confirmed address and with tracking, you are protected.

The problem is, the only other countries with any confirmed addresses are Canada and the UK. And there aren't many in either.

I might be wrong, but I thought Global Priority Express offered tracking, insurance (you can purchase additional coverage over and above the $100 min), signature confirmation, and I'm pretty certain they offer an add-on product that sends a confirmation receipt back to you.

The CanadaPost product equivalent is an add-on called an "Acknowledgement Receipt" which is a sort of postcard that arrives after the recipient has signed for and accepted the parcel, and has their signature on the card.

I would check with USPS, because CanadaPost usually is skimpier than USPS on the mail product side of things, and would find it unusual that USPS doesn't offer something similar, if not better.

This is inaccurate. Registered mail and return receipt can be done overseas. I have done it to Canada and the UK. You will need to fill out PS Form 3806, Receipt for Registered Mail, as well as a customs form. That registered receipt number allows you to track your delivery on the USPS website. There's a pink label for Return Receipt. thumbsup2.gif

This is inaccurate. Registered mail and return receipt can be done overseas. I have done it to Canada and the UK. You will need to fill out PS Form 3806, Receipt for Registered Mail, as well as a customs form. That registered receipt number allows you to track your delivery on the USPS website. There's a pink label for Return Receipt. thumbsup2.gif

I did not know you could register an international package! Even to just the UK and Canada is good to know. Thanks, Donut.

Actually looking into it further....

All destination countries have an indemnity limit of $44.86

What good is that??? You can get delivery confirmation but not insure it properly? Am I interpreting that wrong?

Wrong!

As long as you ship to a confirmed address and with tracking, you are protected.

The problem is, the only other countries with any confirmed addresses are Canada and the UK. And there aren't many in either.

This is wrong.

UK Sellers are protected by confirmed UK addresses and Canadian sellers are protected by confirmed Canadian addresses. US, same thing.

Actually looking into it further....

All destination countries have an indemnity limit of $44.86

What good is that??? You can get delivery confirmation but not insure it properly? Am I interpreting that wrong?

Again, incorrect. That is before insurance. The insurance is a different item. If you do NOT insure it, yet register it, it has a limit of the $44.86.