• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Church books on Metropolis

39 posts in this topic

Im sure many of you browse the metropolis section frequently like i do. I am sure most of you have at some time made the search run for "mile high" books and stumpled and marvelled at the magnificient books from that pedigree Metro has listed. Im sure many of you have seen that quite a number are lisred as raw 9.2-9.6

I thought that the vast majority (if not all) of the Church books had at some time been graded by CGC. Are the ones on Metro listed as HG raw copies books that metro has cracked from their holder in disagreement of the grade CGC assigned to them? I know Metro does that quite often (no disrespect intended, its Metro's choice) especially since Steve is the uncrowned inventer of the current grading scale and frequently finds himself in disagreement in how CGC sometimes interpret the grading scale. Im asking since the Church books are listed at (and rightfully) quite heavy premiums on the grade assigned and if CGC has a different view of the grade that is somehow quite important if buying a 2000 $ or 10.000 $ book. The difference in Market value naturally increases if it is a book advertised as 9.4 raw at a premium that used to sit in a 9.0 slab...

If Metro would comment that would be great, if as I anticipate they will not, i will be happy to hear your valuable comments.

Lets not turn it into a thread about whether you believe cracking and advertising as higher grade is right or not, lets leave that discussion with the argument that it is the choice of Metro.

Compare their list to Heritage offerings, even on non-Church books. Lots of discrepancy on books they've cracked.

Although I would posit that there are a lot of slabbed books on their site they have NOT cracked, and they would only crack the ones they disagreed with.

Actually, the majority of Church books have not been graded by CGC. I don't know the status of the particular books you're looking at, but I would not assume a raw Church book has been slabbed in the past. It certainly may have been, but it is not a given.

Actually, the majority of Church books have not been graded by CGC. I don't know the status of the particular books you're looking at, but I would not assume a raw Church book has been slabbed in the past. It certainly may have been, but it is not a given.

18,000 Church books. Lots and lots haven't been graded.

Thanks! that is news to me !

Wonder why Metro does not send them in, surely they are easier to move in the slab with the Church designation on the label, for collectors who doesnt know how to distingush a Church copy and therefore may be reluctant to pay 2-3 X GPA / FMV for other non-ped. similar graded books confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks! that is news to me !

Wonder why Metro does not send them in, surely they are easier to move in the slab with the Church designation on the label, for collectors who doesnt know how to distingush a Church copy and therefore may be reluctant to pay 2-3 X GPA / FMV for other non-ped. similar graded books confused-smiley-013.gif

There are evidently enough collectors that can buy them without the slab that it is not worth the time and cost for them to send them to CGC. They have many long-time customers who were buying Church copies before CGC was around and who don't necessarily feel the need for the additional confirmation.

I thought that the vast majority (if not all) of the Church books had at some time been graded by CGC.

MD;

As others have already posted, by far the vast majority of the Church books have not been CGC graded yet. In fact, along with all other GA pedigrees, I believe only a very small percentage has been graded so far.

GA collectors tend to be quite different from SA or BA pedigree collectors who seem to feel that their books have to graded in order to be worthy.

I thought that the vast majority (if not all) of the Church books had at some time been graded by CGC.

MD;

As others have already posted, by far the vast majority of the Church books have not been CGC graded yet. In fact, along with all other GA pedigrees, I believe only a very small percentage has been graded so far.

GA collectors tend to be quite different from SA or BA pedigree collectors who seem to feel that their books have to graded.

I agree completely with Lou's assessment. thumbsup2.gif

There are evidently enough collectors that can buy them without the slab that it is not worth the time and cost for them to send them to CGC. They have many long-time customers who were buying Church copies before CGC was around and who don't necessarily feel the need for the additional confirmation.

My thinking is:

If someone has enough clout/reputation etc to sell their books at full value in the raw state then why have the books slabbed? Why shouldn't a seller assign his grades and prices accordingly if buyers accept the books. If the buyer wants CGC to confirm the grade then he/she might be buying in the wrong market.

Im sure many of you browse the metropolis section frequently like i do. I am sure most of you have at some time made the search run for "mile high" books and stumpled and marvelled at the magnificient books from that pedigree Metro has listed. Im sure many of you have seen that quite a number are lisred as raw 9.2-9.6

I thought that the vast majority (if not all) of the Church books had at some time been graded by CGC. Are the ones on Metro listed as HG raw copies books that metro has cracked from their holder in disagreement of the grade CGC assigned to them? I know Metro does that quite often (no disrespect intended, its Metro's choice) especially since Steve is the uncrowned inventer of the current grading scale and frequently finds himself in disagreement in how CGC sometimes interpret the grading scale. Im asking since the Church books are listed at (and rightfully) quite heavy premiums on the grade assigned and if CGC has a different view of the grade that is somehow quite important if buying a 2000 $ or 10.000 $ book. The difference in Market value naturally increases if it is a book advertised as 9.4 raw at a premium that used to sit in a 9.0 slab...

If Metro would comment that would be great, if as I anticipate they will not, i will be happy to hear your valuable comments.

Lets not turn it into a thread about whether you believe cracking and advertising as higher grade is right or not, lets leave that discussion with the argument that it is the choice of Metro.

Hi

Not true. Most of the Church books are not slabbed, and by far and away too!

Even the mega Mile high keys very few are slabbed.Only the Flash 1 and Cap1, All Star 3, More Fun 52 and Adventure 40 come to mind. The Action1, Superman 1, Bat 1, Wiz 1, All American 16, Marvel 1, Detective 38, Detective 1, are all Nope, Nope , Nope and much more.

MD;

GA collectors tend to be quite different from SA or BA pedigree collectors who seem to feel that their books have to graded in order to be worthy.

Thanks for the heads up. grin.gif as stated i thought most had been slabbed, but that was following the logic that they were all uper high grade and as Lou pointed out, had it been SA 100% would have been slabbed. I know the GA field is different, but still thought that with the premiums carried on the Church books, many would like to have the CGC verification. Even if you like them raw, what does 50 bucks matter on a 6K book, get it graded and then crack it afterwards. Just goes to show im new in the GA field. tongue.gif

If that's the case, then why does Metro slab ANY of their GA books?

quote; but still thought that with the premiums carried on the Church books, many would like to have the CGC verification. Even if you like them raw, what does 50 bucks matter on a 6K book

The quality of the Church books are so high that I dont think 50 bucks will cover too many of the early church books. ALL of the key golden age books along with numbers 2,3,4,5 and even higher will probably have fees of 1000 each.So on the contrary, certifying Church books will cost a hell of alot!

Hi

Not true. Most of the Church books are not slabbed, and by far and away too!

Even the mega Mile high keys very few are slabbed.Only the Flash 1 and Cap1, All Star 3, More Fun 52 and Adventure 40 come to mind. The Action1, Superman 1, Bat 1, Wiz 1, All American 16, Marvel 1, Detective 38, Detective 1, are all Nope, Nope , Nope and much more.

Not sure the "Wiz 1" could stand up to the moisture barrier of a slab though,..

Thanks for the heads up. grin.gif as stated i thought most had been slabbed, but that was following the logic that they were all uper high grade and as Lou pointed out, had it been SA 100% would have been slabbed.

I don't agree with this statement at all. I will concede that a lot of the best SA Marvels books have been slabbed, but I would attribute that in part to the fact that many were owned by the 2 titans of SA Marvel collecting, Doug Schmell and Tom Brulato, who are big supporters of CGC and have slabbed their entire collections. On the other hand, there are many pedigree Marvels that are still unaccounted for that could rank among the best copies (most particularly the Curators and Western Penns), and I'd say with the exception of Pacific Coast books, there seem to be more pedigree DC SAs that haven't been slabbed than have been.

quote; but still thought that with the premiums carried on the Church books, many would like to have the CGC verification. Even if you like them raw, what does 50 bucks matter on a 6K book

The quality of the Church books are so high that I dont think 50 bucks will cover too many of the early church books. ALL of the key golden age books along with numbers 2,3,4,5 and even higher will probably have fees of 1000 each.So on the contrary, certifying Church books will cost a hell of alot!

foreheadslap.gif I forgot! not exactly having tons of 10K books lying around waiting to be graded i completely forgot the "percentage of FMV" CGC charges on the truly top notch books! that explains it quite clearly, pay me no attention crazy.gif

Thanks for the heads up. grin.gif as stated i thought most had been slabbed, but that was following the logic that they were all uper high grade and as Lou pointed out, had it been SA 100% would have been slabbed.

I don't agree with this statement at all. I will concede that a lot of the best SA Marvels books have been slabbed, but I would attribute that in part to the fact that many were owned by the 2 titans of SA Marvel collecting, Doug Schmell and Tom Brulato, who are big supporters of CGC and have slabbed their entire collections. On the other hand, there are many pedigree Marvels that are still unaccounted for that could rank among the best copies (most particularly the Curators and Western Penns), and I'd say with the exception of Pacific Coast books, there seem to be more pedigree DC SAs that haven't been slabbed than have been.

That is true... didnt know about Tom Brulato, but Doug on his own has contributed to a lot if not most of the best known copies of SA keys to be on the census... i was argumenting along the lines that for SA, as opposed to GA, the cencus in most cases accurately reflect how scarce a book is in grade as a fair percentage of the peds and warehouse finds etc. have found their way into a slab

I love that even for Silver Age books, it is still in the GA forum that i learn most about them tongue.gif

foreheadslap.gif I forgot! not exactly having tons of 10K books lying around waiting to be graded i completely forgot the "percentage of FMV" CGC charges on the truly top notch books! that explains it quite clearly, pay me no attention crazy.gif

ok, Im glad you finally got it.

ok, Im glad you finally got it.

blush.gif