• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moving a lot of comics

19 posts in this topic

Hello lads,

Big news in the household of Shep.... we're moving!! Kim and I are hauling up stakes, and taking the kids back to Toronto. The reason? Well, we love Newfoundland, but I just scored a great job with the advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi. So it's off to Toronto we go.

So, looking for moving tips. I have about 15 Magazine boxes with all my high grade stuff, plus boxes of tpbs, reference books, pocket books, etc. Figure an equivalent of 30 short boxes of material. When I moved last time, I carefully packed up everything and sent it with the movers. Everything arrived fine, and it was all insured, but I was scared to DEATH. It's not the money... if anything happened to my collection, I seriously doubt I would ever be able to piece it back together.

So... if you were faced with a similar situation, how would ship the books?

For reference, my packing technique last time was this...

Books were packed in bundles of 15 in magazine bags, and placed upright in their boxes. I then put newspaper around the sides and top to secure them. Then the box was sealed, and a large bag was then taped and sealed around it. I then placed this box in a larger box, filled the sides with newspaper to minimize movement, and then placed the whole she-bang in a large, heavy plastic bag, which was then sealed.

Any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Shep

When I made my big coast to coast move a few years ago, I had all my books in short boxes. I put styrofoam popcorn inside my magazine box which had larger books to cut down on the extra space that was inside, and then packaged them two at a time in a regular shipping box.

Try to get a box large enough to store two of them snugly. I then took towels from the linen closet, and place them on top of the boxes to cushion them, and sealed up the box. When the movers came, I just made sure they loaded them carefully and didn't put anything on top that might crush it or anything like that. Arrived without a problem.

Also, if you can get some colored packing tape, wrap that around each box, so you can pick them out really quickly when the movers unload.

Good luck, man! smile.gif

The only thing I could ever suggest is to move them yourself. Make an extra trip, or rent a trailer, or?

Shep,

I have moved 3 times in the last 16 years. As far as my books were concerned, I was able to access a empty van and moved them myself. Did not want/need the stress of anything going wrong. The rest of the stuff, I let the movers handle it, as I really didnt care if they got damaged or not as I could easily replace or upgrade any furniture.

First time I moved there were 65 long boxes which was a real pain, the last time I moved it was down to 40.

I am moving about 300 miles. I am keeping them in the file cabinets, tight and all bagged and boardede. Probably the most protection I can avoid. My collection is nothing big not worth the freight, but still, it is mine.

move them yourself....movers..... gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif some good....some bad.....

trust no one and you'll be just fine.

it's not very far to drive.....less than a trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks (the two biggest cities in Alaska).............

I've always moved my own collection, not as far, but just as much lifting...... thumbsup2.gif

move them yourself....movers..... gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif some good....some bad.....

trust no one and you'll be just fine.

it's not very far to drive.....less than a trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks (the two biggest cities in Alaska).............

I've always moved my own collection, not as far, but just as much lifting...... thumbsup2.gif

When my parents moved my collection when they moved (twice) (while I was away at college).. I ended up with some missing boxes. I'm not saying that'll happen to you... but it does happen.

Move your highest valued collectibles yourself if u can. 1 of my acquaintances relocated from Calgary, AB to Vancouver, BC: about 13 hrs drive 1 way. Moving companies hire a lot of part-time agents who walked off with a couple of boxes of his valuables screwy.gif ... and then claim no corporate liability.

Move your highest valued collectibles yourself if u can. 1 of my acquaintances relocated from Calgary, AB to Vancouver, BC: about 13 hrs drive 1 way. Moving companies hire a lot of part-time agents who walked off with a couple of boxes of his valuables screwy.gif ... and then claim no corporate liability.

Now that I think about it, when I did my move I let the movers take everything except for my ASM #1. No way was I going to risk that one.

Thanks for all the advice, gents!!!

Not sure If I'll be in a position to move them myself.... I will have to see!

Other alternative is to Fedex the valuable boxes. They will be insured and trackable, and I have never had any problems with Fedex. My move is being paid for, so money's not really an issue.

Thanks again. Watch out for me at all the upcoming Toronto cons!!

Shep

Man, that makes me wonder!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gifI am PCSing from Germany back to the states in May..I wonder how I'm going to be able to pack them 893whatthe.gif...I've never had a move woth comics....& they have messed up my stuff in the past... frustrated.gif

Man, that makes me wonder!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gifI am PCSing from Germany back to the states in May..I wonder how I'm going to be able to pack them 893whatthe.gif...I've never had a move woth comics....& they have messed up my stuff in the past... frustrated.gif

I wouldn't mind hearing anyone that has recommendations on moving in such a situation as well - where it's really not possible to take them yourselves. Especially coming from areas where U.S installations are located overseas where there are legitimate horror stories about missing items (because there isn't much you can do about it - and when I say much I mean nothing).

I was wondering if there wasn't some sort of binder set-up that books in gold/silver archives fulbacks can fit in (temp) that I can just carry on the plane.

Thanks.